Page 1 of 172 123451151101 ... LastLast

Default Transformers The Movie (2007)

Gallery
    http://www.nemesismatrix.com/gallery...The-Movie-2007

http://nemesismatrix.com/toys-music-...132015093.html

The producers announced Megatron would be a tank! According to the following.

Now, while part of me can see where the makers are coming from, that a hulking 30ft robot can't practically turn into a handheld gun, even a Transformer-sized one, I was disappointed. But I kinda put it behind me under some misguided geek premise that, well, in the show Megatron became Galvatron who was just a giant mobile cannon anyway.

Unfortunately, this seems to have set someone's cogs turning far too much, and now according to AskMen.com increasing numbers of supposed "G1" characters are becoming victims of "reimagination" into something far more sensible and practical... and a whole lot less like G1.

So far, the changes include:
    Soundwave [G1 - Cassette Desk] who played the role of spy with his cassette Transformers will now inexplicably become a helicopter.
    Ratchet [G1 - Ambulance] the repairman and essentially "doctor" to injured Transformers will now become a firetruck.
    Jazz [G1 - Martini Porche 935] will become some other generic sportscar - presumably because Porsche won't allow licencing of Jazz's original form.
    Arcee [G1 - Cybertronian Car] will become a motorcycle (which she does in, surprise, the crappy 2004 "Transformers: Energon" remake!)

How can any of these changes listed above possibly reflect even the robot-form image of the G1 characters? Thankfully it's not all bad. Producers are at least fighting to secure some agreements with certain car brands to allow some characters to retain their original form, for example Bumblebee is to remain a Volkswagen.

But it's sounding like the movie is starting to bend to pressure from somewhere to conform to a modern Transformers audience instead of the nostalgia audience which would make up their core repeat-viewing audience. They need to realize that this is a potential FAMILY movie, not just a kids movie. Make a movie for all those guys who grew up with Transformers, many of whom now have their own kids that they can take to see the movie together, not a movie to substitute as a creche for soccer moms who need to dump their kids while they go to the salon.

The one saving grace I guess - At least they didn't hook up a product-placement deal with Apple and have Soundwave turn into an iPod.

How in the heck can Soundwave be changed into a helicopter? What will his spies be? The individual spinning blades?

- Peter
    "Holy guacamole! This looks like a job for Wonder Pig!" - Ms. Piggy

Quote Originally Posted by OptimusPrime
    But it's sounding like the movie is starting to bend to pressure from somewhere to conform to a modern Transformers audience instead of the nostalgia audience which would make up their core repeat-viewing audience. They need to realize that this is a potential FAMILY movie, not just a kids movie. Make a movie for all those guys who grew up with Transformers, many of whom now have their own kids that they can take to see the movie together, not a movie to substitute as a creche for soccer moms who need to dump their kids while they go to the salon.
    That doesn't sound like what they're doing at all.

Nobody uses tape players anymore, so unless this is a 1985 period peice, Soundwave turning into one wouldn't make sense. And he'd need someome to carry him around.

Jazz is just corporate pressure to turn him from one sports car into another.

Arcee is a little off, but nothing that would ruin the character.

Ratchet is just plain stupid.

The one saving grace I guess - At least they didn't hook up a product-placement deal with Apple and have Soundwave turn into an iPod.
    Wait, he's complaning that they didn't get a Porsche and praising that they got a VW beetle but he doesn't want Soundwave turning into something that would fit his character and transformation mode just because it's a product placement?

This is the worst kind of fanwanking I've ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by artemisboy
    How in the heck can Soundwave be changed into a helicopter? What will his spies be? The individual spinning blades?

- Peter
    It's not like we use tape recorders anymore.

...although Rumble and Ratchet as CDs might look cool...

Looks like Starscream is still a fighter jet, so I'm happy. But there's no big version of that picture, which sucks.

As soon as plans were announced for a movie I assumed Megatron would be a tank, and I don't have a problem with it. I'm especially pleased that he's grey, rather than the green camo look from the G2 comics.

Arcee being a motorcycle, no big deal. She' wasn't even in the first seasons, and she wasn't a made-up Cybertron car anyway. And it's not like there's an over-abudance of Autobot cars/trucks anyway.

I won't mind Soundwave being a helicopter if they still have a cool way for him to deploy Rumble, Ravage, et all, *and* he has the same (or very similar) voice as he did in the cartoon.

Going from aambulance to a firetruck makes no sense to me. There was already a Firetruck autobot, wasn't there?
    "Family Guy jumped the shark when i stopped getting high every time i watched it. " - Alex

Soundwave could easily be a portable CD recorder; Megatron should still be a gun. The Hollyweird producers are making things complicated by changing the robots' main forms.

Well excuuuse me princess Mike Pothier's Avatar
    Second star to the right, straight on till morning

This could be messed up SO easily. I hope they can pull this off. But if they don't? *hugs his copy of the superior animated Transformers: The movie*
    Life is but a dream.

Meeps? MEEEEEEPS!

While I prefer him as a pistol, I definitely don't mind Megs being a tank at all. He looks good either way.

I own the Energon Arcee version and I think she looks quite nice as a motorcycle.

Megatron as a tank is natural, as in nearly every incarnation outside of Beast Wars/Machines and the odd "mini" versions (like the mini Optimus Prime that became a jet fighter), Megatron has been a tank, even as recently as Transformers: Armada. We never did see Megatron's Cybertronian form, that I recall. In the excellent "Transformers: War Within" comic, Megatron was a big Cybertronian tank, and looked fantastic.

Plus that artwork of Tank Megatron looks FANTASTIC.

Ratchet to a firetruck? That's what Inferno's for!! As long as he looks good as a robot, and has the big fin on his head, I'll accept it :)

Jazz, no big deal. Alternators proved you can have Jazz as something OTHER than a Porsche and still look cool with the Mazda "Meister" toy. Heck, SHOCKWAVE (er... "Shockblast") looked good as a Mazda car!

Soundwave could work. It's a stretch, true, but if they can convincingly make Soundwave a WWII-era field phone, and his "cassettes" hand grenades (hand grenades, fer cripes' sake!), then I'm guessing they'll come up with something cool for him & his buddies.

Starscream as a jet, excellent... Bumblebee as a VW is such a natural, it HAD to happen. Maybe Brawn'll be a Mini Cooper ;) Yeah, Bumblebee's supposed to be the smallest, but Brawn's the one with the size-envy given his tremendous strength.

Can't wait to see more!

Quote Originally Posted by DDM
    Soundwave could easily be a portable CD recorder; Megatron should still be a gun. The Hollyweird producers are making things complicated by changing the robots' main forms.
    A normal sized CD recorder, or a giant-sized one? As I recall, the original Soundwave, even as a boombox, was taller than a person. Which would look pretty damn silly in live action, to have this giant piece of harmless equipment being lugged around by another Decepticon. I think i would make perfect sense for all the Decepticons to be military vehicles, weapons, or beasts of some sort. They were the soldiers and gladiators of Cybertron, after all.
    "Family Guy jumped the shark when i stopped getting high every time i watched it. " - Alex

Quote Originally Posted by DDM
    Megatron should still be a gun.
    A tank *is* a gun. On wheels. That doesn't need to be carried by someone and could easily destroy a semi truck in a single shot. This is a vast improvement, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared
    A normal sized CD recorder, or a giant-sized one? As I recall, the original Soundwave, even as a boombox, was taller than a person. Which would look pretty damn silly in live action, to have this giant piece of harmless equipment being lugged around by another Decepticon. I think i would make perfect sense for all the Decepticons to be military vehicles, weapons, or beasts of some sort. They were the soldiers and gladiators of Cybertron, after all.
    Transformers have the ability to alter their mass when they transform. When Soundwave transformed into a tape recorder, he shrunk. Yes, can see Soundwave to be a portable CD recorder/player. The CD's would be Ravage, Buzzaw, Laserbeak, Rumble, Frenzy, Ratbat...

Quote Originally Posted by Jared
    As I recall, the original Soundwave, even as a boombox, was taller than a person.
    No, he turned into a normal-size portable tape player.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Sarcasm
    No, he turned into a normal-size portable tape player.
    He could be either. Sometimes, if he was back at base and just relaying info to Megatron, he'd be a Transformer-sized boombox, but if he was on a mission, he'd shrink. From a movie-making perspective, having Soundwave transform into a non-mobile device is difficult. He'd always have to fight as a robot, no mid-battle transformations into a more useful form for the situation like I expect they are going to go for. The helicopter form can work if it's some sort of spy-copter. Figuring out a form for the former cassettes is the hard part.

Ratchet as a firetruck is kinda weird, but the rest seems cool. I'm guessing at some point they ditched the whole changing their mass thing, hence Soundwave not being a modern day equivalent to a hand held recorder, like a recordable CD player or iPod. Not sure what Rumble, Frenzy, and the rest of the old school cassettes would be, though. Detachable weapons that transform?