Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Do you really think so? Solaris's Avatar

Talking What are you BEHIND on reading?

Heh. I've got maybe ten new books we've picked up, either as something that looks interesting or latest one from a fav. author... and I haven't turned a page. Not even in the new Tamora Pierce or David Weber. Argh. I also have some Morts sent me that I've *got* to get read and sent back... my life has just been so crazy lately, I've had practically no time for reading anything.

And THAT my friends, is sad indeed.

Anyhow, I've got those Pratchett's to read, the new "Circle" Pierce Book, the new Honor Harrington, a trilogy of books by Kim Harrison that Troy wants me to read... and more.

So what are you behind on reading? :)
    Solaris

The worst disease in our world is a lack of compassion, and the blind ignorant sense of entitlement which takes no account of sacrifices made by others that allow said individual to exist.---me

Tarma: "Surprise, youngling! Nothing learned is ever lost or wasted."

---Misty Lackey

Critical Mass
    An Army At Dawn
    A Walk In The Woods
    The City and the Stars
    Influence
    Taxman Tactics
    The Economist Guide To Business Numeracy
    The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire
    Killing Pablo

I blame the X-Box.
    The two most powerful warriors are patience and time - Leo Tolstoy

Excelsior!
    The Historian.
    Naked Ape to Superspecies: Humanity and the Global Eco-Crisis.
    Men of Tomorrow: Geeks, gangsters and the birth of the comic book.
    & a whole bunch of National Geographic magazines I've been receiving lately.

I blame work, T.V, Nintendo and general housework chores. Gotta read more
    "I don't hate Domino. I just embrace her cumdump status. More characters should revel in it like she does." -Talisman.

Ninjas wear feety PJs Karl J. Barnes's Avatar

I still have like eight or nine books that I bought two years ago that still need to be read(I bought like 70 books at the time). It seems a bit opressive to have so many books still to read and try to control my itch to go to book stores and get new ones, I've failed a time or two. Still, I'm trudgin through and will hopefully finish my To Be Read stack, so I can honestly get some new books.

Peace and Quiet. Jonathan Bogart's Avatar

Everything.

Ten years ago, I borrowed Crime and Punishment from a friend while he was still living in the Midwest. I struggled to get through the first few pages a couple of times, then my friend moved to San Diego, and then Scotland. I still haven't gotten around to reading it yet. Maybe I will finish it before the class reunion in two years.
    "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
    Martin Luther King Jr., Letter from Birmingham Jail, April 16, 1963

Haven't read the latest Honor Harrington. Getting vibes from it that it's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay grim this time, and, well, me not wanting any grim right now.

Modus omnibus in rebus Roquefort Raider's Avatar

Freedom evolves
    Metamorphoses
    The rise of the Roman empire
    Moby Dick
    Alice in wonderland
    The golden bough
    Sagas of the icelanders.

I have no excuse, really. I should resist the urge
    to buy more books than I can finish.

Eldest
    Lord Loss
    What have I always believed? That, on the whole, and by and large, if a person lived properly, not according to what any priests said, but according to what seemed decent and honest inside, then it would, at the end, more or less, turn out ok.

"In 1996, I was 36. And you're still a frothing moonbat." ~Paradox

A Storm of Swords. This book is just so freakin' huge, I swear it feels like I'm never going to finish it especially because I'm only on the fourth chapter (or something). Hell, it's so big that the English version of the book is split into two seperate novels (I have the American one though). I actually think I'll probably read something else halfway through, much like I did with the Stand.

And speaking of Stephen King, I also have Wizard and Glass that's been waiting for me to read but these epic-fantasy books are just such daunting reads that i will probably read a whole bunch of more modest books before I get to it.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Roquefort Raider
    Freedom evolves
    Metamorphoses
    The rise of the Roman empire
    Moby Dick
    Alice in wonderland
    The golden bough
    Sagas of the icelanders.

I have no excuse, really. I should resist the urge
    to buy more books than I can finish.
    Great list. Which translation of Metamorphoses are you thinking of reading? I looked at a few before settling on the Oxford ppb by A.D.Melville (which I had initially dismissed because I disliked the cover).

Polybius is one of my favourite ancient writers, definitely my favourite ancient historian after Herodotos and Thucydides. I wish Penguin would publish a more compete translation of his History. The current one leaves out the interesting period between the first two Punic Wars.

What's Freedom Evolves about? Everything else on your list is among my favourite books (except Moby Dick - never gotten around to reading it), so I'm curious about the only one I have't heard of.

Also got

The Road Less Travelled
    Are Universes Bigger Than Blackberries?
    The Fall Of The Roman Empire

making me feel guilty.
    The two most powerful warriors are patience and time - Leo Tolstoy

RIP Ronnie James Dio Deathstroke's Avatar

I've got about 100 novels waiting to be read, so I'm behind on everything.
    I'm on Twitter

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Dan Simmons Olympos (unfair because I have started it for a few pages, but can't seem to find the time to continue)
    Hunter S. Thompson Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
    A bundle of short 70s Sci-Fi stories
    Moorcock's Condition of Muzak (2nd attempt, first attempt was years ago before I read any of the other Jerry Cornelius novels)
    Pratchet's A Hat full of sky.

Modus omnibus in rebus Roquefort Raider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by berk
    Great list. Which translation of Metamorphoses are you thinking of reading?
    I have the Horace Gregory translation, but it's really an uninformed choice (I didn't really look at the respective values of different translations). Luckily, if I'm unhappy with it (which is unlikely!) there are three more versions available on the Perseus digital library website!

Polybius is one of my favourite ancient writers, definitely my favourite ancient historian after Herodotos and Thucydides.
    I'm glad to hear it! I haven't read Polybius yet but I do love Thucydides (as well as the *ahem* imaginative Herodotos. I also love Tacitus).

What's Freedom Evolves about? Everything else on your list is among my favourite books (except Moby Dick - never gotten around to reading it), so I'm curious about the only one I have't heard of.
    It's a book by Daniel Dennett, a philosopher who's interested in how natural selection plays a role in non-biological systems, such as the concept of free choice. I read his "Darwin's dangerous idea" and it's now a recommended book in a molecular biology class I teach. Great stuff!

Cheers,

- Ben