The Chosen One
Hellboy RPG Rules
HOW TO PLAY MADE EASY & ALL IN ONE PLACE
1) What is the structure of the game?
It is a straightforward, linear progression from learning about the mission to completing the mission and returning to HQ.
2) Where is the game played?
The Hellboy Universe only, subject to its laws and suppositions.
3) What characters can I play?
Any classic B.P.R.D. agents that are consistent with timeframe of the game, plus created characters that meet certain criteria.
4) CRITERA FOR CREATING CHARACTERS-THIS IS A TEAM GAME
a) Characters must be straightforward and easy to understand, willing to work with others and not "stars" in their own game.
b) Characters must be consistent with HB universe and associated worlds, not D&D world, Star Trek world, etc.
c) Characters can have special abilities consistent with Hellboy universe or be 100% human (Please see separate post for Character Attributes)
d) B.P.R.D. team members must be "good guys". No "team treachery", for now. If you want to be bad, you can be the evil entity or support the evil entity designated for this game, but must consult GM before initiating evil actions. Continuing evil characters must be approved by GM.
RULES OF GAME
1) GM sets the initial game action, continuing game action and outcome of battles.
2) Characters cannot initiate actions that change the plot, bring in new characters related to them or the game scenario during the game without GM permission, or write in their own battle outcome or tactics results. Characters played by GM's can initiate action to further plot development & move adventure along. In certain situations GM’s can temporarily manipulate players’ characters to move story line along, get story back on track, or if a player needs to take time off but
the storyline does not allow for a character to leave the action.
3) Once a situation is established by GM, a character can decide how to respond to it with free will (hides/attacks/interrogates, etc) if it only effects that particular character
4) Actions that involve others must be agreed on by group and are frequently set up by GM. Example: Group has option to phone BPRD HQ for information-one character can't do that on their own
5). Each player is allowed to control ONLY his/her given character/s. However, players can base their actions upon what others have done.
Abe Sapien leaves the room.
Your Character: “ I’m going with Abe. Hey, Abe, wait for me.”
It is up to the person playing Abe to decide if you catch up to him or not.
Players can question each other.
Your Character: “Roger, will this grenade work?”
Please Note: If a character is asked a question, other players must wait for the posted answer before moving on as it can effect the next action, especially if a GM furthers the plot and posts that the grenade blows up in Roger’s face.
The EXCEPTION TO THIS RULE is if the post indicates simultaneous action:
While Roger was explaining about the grenade, Abe (your character) was looking for the vampire.
6) Characters can freely interact with each other, talk about their lives, this adventure, form friendships, flirt, create their personality, etc. but within the boundries of the HB universe. Any deviations, such as kissing, hand-holding, must be consistent with the nature of the characters in the comics and need GM approval. As of now, in the HB Universe there is no overt sex, homosexuality, racial discrimination, religious references implying one faith better than another, etc., period.
7) Unless players have stipulated mind reading ability, they cannot develop clairvoyance or any other paranormal ability spontaneously within the game. All new abilities must be accounted for within the structure of this game. Bone Fide mind readers are encouraged to keep mind reading between each other to a MINIMUME (like for emergency use only) as it promotes secrecy and confusion as to what is commonly known and what is not. Please try to use spoken or whispered dialogue to communicate your information.
RPG Battle Rules
This Hellboy RPG uses the basic GURPS rules for battles.
Below is very brief and easy summery of how GURPS (General Universal Role Playing System) battles work.
1)During battles players are allowed to chose only their own actions. They cannot post on the outcome of their actions, including what happens to whomever or whatever they are fighting.
2) The GM will tell how the battle is to unfold by rolling and reading dice. (Each side on the dice represents a different scenario.)
3) After each roll, the GM posts a reply stating what happened to the character as a result of the action he/she had just posted.
4) All characters who are not principle players (BPRD Agents or civilians) are played by GMs. This usually includes the entities the players are fighting. In battles, the GM will roll the dice for his/her character and post a description of what happened to the “bad guy”. Or they will act out what the character does.
Note: Players who want to be villains need GM approval and may be told some of their action by GM’s to maintain the storyline.
5). Once the GM posts the counter-action, players may then act out their characters next actions/thoughts.
Please remember to allow all players the chance to take part in the battle.
OTHER THINGS TO KEEP IN MIND
1). Players are encouraged to post about what is directly related to the storyline. Things that happened in the past that have shaped their lives, making them who they are today, such as Liz’s history with fire, are great because they help to define the character and explain the abilities she is using in this game. Unrelated ramblings merely confuse other players.
2). Players are encouraged to write less dialogue unless you are interacting with a GM’s character or can accept the possibility that the character responding to your dialogue may take days to post.
3) Internal monologues (thoughts) will be considered the same as third party descriptions, and “common knowledge” for all players. Or, just use a third party descriptive approach. For example: "The night is dark", Hellboy thought can be changed to: Hellboy sat under the dark night sky-this last 3rd party post conveys the same idea- but has no thoughts involved in it.
4). Whenever you reply, if you are answering a question from another player or completing a conversation. Please quote their original dialog and answer it in your own post.
5). When the GM gives game break instructions players need to READ it and respond to the information given.
6). Step-Posting (the act of stepping on another player’s post so 2 posts appear almost simultaneously that contradict each other.) PLEASE before you reply to the thread, check players’ bios at the bottom of the screen to see if they are on the board. PM your co-players, if necessary, to find out if they are in the middle of posting. If they are please WAIT until they are done, RECHECK the RPG board to see changes, and then post your message.
If you have any questions, please PM Lady Hellgirl or Mist the Soul-Gatherer.
Choosing/Creating Characters to Play
Your next step will be to find out about Character GURPS and choose or create your character.
The Character GURPS and how to choose or create your character can be found under the thread: Hellboy RPG Characters
Then start playing!
Last edited by Lady Hellgirl; 10-31-2005 at 08:45 PM.
Bump. Bump. Bump to keep thread from self-gleaning.
Fallen Seraphim/RP Whore
bump to keep thread alive, as it's been left alone for quite some time...