Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Yeah, they have.

And quite a few of them are either (a) mystical bullshit, (b) whiteboy blues songs, or (c) about the old in-and-out. (Note: I like quite a few of these songs.)

I've listened to all of their major albums, and emotional resonance, while not completely absent from their music, is not one of their strengths.

And sometimes when they try to be emotionally resonant, it's absolutely awful ("Thank You" being a perfect example).

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by jesse_custer View Post
    Yeah, they have.

And quite a few of them are either (a) mystical bullshit, (b) whiteboy blues songs, or (c) about the old in-and-out. (Note: I like quite a few of these songs.)

I've listened to all of their major albums, and emotional resonance, while not completely absent from their music, is not one of their strengths.

And sometimes when they try to be emotionally resonant, it's absolutely awful ("Thank You" being a perfect example).
    You mean the lyrics? I don't really pay much attention to em, to tell the truth. Musically I find much of their work, including Thank You, has a lot of emotional resonance, but that's always going to be a visceral reaction that'll vary from one listener to another.

Huh, I didn't realise that Jesse Custer was with me on the LZ issue. I thought I was one of teh very few on this board to be massively underwhelmed by them.
    Check out my latest movie review: Captain America: The Winter Soldier

I'm not unimpressed by Zeppelin, but their strength isn't emotional resonance, especially when compared to artists who have a good bit of it, like Joni Mitchell, Johnny Cash, Howlin' Wolf, Al Green, Emmylou Harris, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by berk View Post
    You mean the lyrics? I don't really pay much attention to em, to tell the truth. Musically I find much of their work, including Thank You, has a lot of emotional resonance, but that's always going to be a visceral reaction that'll vary from one listener to another.
    From my perspective, Thank You, lyrically and musically, is a laughably overwrought piece of work.

People's Republic of Saskabush in Soviet Canuckistan

I'm not unimpressed by Zeppelin, but their strength isn't emotional resonance, especially when compared to artists who have a good bit of it, like Joni Mitchell, Johnny Cash, Howlin' Wolf, Al Green, Emmylou Harris, etc.
    Well, unless "I am a horny young man driven by my libido" applies to emotional resonance, though I mostly agree. They're dumb party music. Well executed dumb party music, but still dumb party music. (Even the acoustic numbers are just after-coital glow.)
    "Yes, but only as a post-Kantian idealized fractal holographic semantic construct whose reality depends on the degree of your solipsistic convictions."

-- Roquefort Raider on 'God' .

Quote Originally Posted by Adam C View Post
    Well, unless "I am a horny young man driven by my libido" applies to emotional resonance, though I mostly agree. They're dumb party music. Well executed dumb party music, but still dumb party music. (Even the acoustic numbers are just after-coital glow.)
    Haha. That's a great description of their acoustic stuff.
    Check out my latest movie review: Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Quote Originally Posted by Adam C View Post
    They're dumb party music. Well executed dumb party music, but still dumb party music.
    That is, generously speaking, a grossly erroneous over-simplification.
    Even the acoustic numbers are just after-coital glow.
    That....is actually pretty funny.

Seriously, though, I have a hard time believing someone who maintains the above opinion has given more than a cursory listen to anything but their radio staples, has failed to understand what was heard, or is biased for whatever reason and simply refuses to acknowledge them for anything but libido and blues stomps. I mean, they certainly have that stuff, too and are quite good at it, but it's unfair to write them off right there.

Quote Originally Posted by ImpulseUCF View Post
    Seriously, though, I have a hard time believing someone who maintains the above opinion has given more than a cursory listen to anything but their radio staples, has failed to understand what was heard, or is biased for whatever reason and simply refuses to acknowledge them for anything but libido and blues stomps.
    That's much more lucid and accurate than the response I started to type.
    howyadoin?
    howyadoin graphics

song of the moment:
    "sao paulo" ~ the deadstring brothers

BANNED
    at Crenshaw Pete's (with his hot coat hangers)

I just want to gush about my Queen love and whine about how much I want this as a tattoo:

KISS is so corny to me. Zep, I just don't care.

Kiss shouldn't even be in this discussion. I love Queen, especially their first 3 albums. But no one compares to Led Zeppelin.

Yeah, they have.

to all their major albums? Hey listen to the minor ones too lol

Oh, this thread. Fun! To add some fodder... I will say that live, Freddie Mercury is unrivaled in sheer charisma as a front-man. Netflix instant streaming has what I think is the only live Queen concert recorded in its entirety, and it's simply incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by ImpulseUCF View Post
    Oh, this thread. Fun! To add some fodder... I will say that live, Freddie Mercury is unrivaled in sheer charisma as a front-man. Netflix instant streaming has what I think is the only live Queen concert recorded in its entirety, and it's simply incredible.

Freddy was definitely a great frontman and left us all way too soon

Zepp then Queen then way, way behind would be KISS

I'm reading Light & Shade: Conversations with Jimmy Page right now.
    Lot of good insight. Technical stuff too, which is very cool.

I don't want to be a dick, but how does Kiss even get into a conversation regarding Zepp and Queen?