Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: We3

Default We3

What does everyone think? I loved it. I just loaned it out to another non-comic reader tonight.

It's fantastic. I keep trying to convince my non comic friends to read it, but they never get hooked. How can you not be interested with the great tag line of "Robocop meets Homeward Bound"!?!?!?

More Donald than Charlie stealthwise's Avatar

Great exploration of the medium's possibilities in terms of the art. The animals were also fleshed out with what has to be the most sparse dialogue ever. I loved it.
    - Art is whatever makes you feel human.

- "You are what you love, not what loves you." - Donald Kaufman

- "Deserve's got nothing to do with it." - William Munny

- "Acquiescence. It's not so hard, really. You. Just. Give. In." - Col. Ives

bizzarro no am member bosshog7169's Avatar

The single greatest story in the history of comics. I kid u not. This is the one comic that i show to my friends who are not interested in comics at all. Even people who have never read a comic book or feel its nerdy, once i give them this book they are converted. Everybody i know loves this stuff. The movie needs to happen soon. I wish Kubrick were still alive to direct

government's watching you matt levin's Avatar
    western Massachusetts, USA; rural, river valley

"The single greatest story in the history of comics."

Welll....I don't know if it'd be my choice, but I sure did enjoy it! & I bet it's even better as a trade book. One of the few, maybe.

Matt
    Walking Man Comics

Age/Bronze-A.S.Westrn-AstroCity-Amelia-CourtneyC.-Brody'sGhost-DD-Dial H-Fables-Fatale-Fell-Goon-Groo-Hellboy-Mudman-NextWave-Rocketeer-StarDrop-Thief-Usagi-Wolff/Byrd-Unwritten

I met Frank Quietly at a con in TO recently (nice guy by the way, great accent) and complimented him on his use of panels and oblique angles. He replied that Grant had a lot to do with how WE3 was developed. In fact Grant called Frank up all the time and said he should drawn things this way and this way...Frank replied to that that maybe Grant should drawn the fricken book. Heh. :D
    I hope this 911 is for real and not just on tv.
    --Thorn

Not even my healing factor can handle Shlitz!
    --Skull-verine

Solitudinem fecerunt, pacem appelunt - They made a desert and called it peace.
    --Tacitus

Quote Originally Posted by matt levin
    I bet it's even better as a trade book. One of the few, maybe.

Matt
    Except the trade costs 13 bucks
    I love bipolar danger girl forever!

You know Grant could most likely draw it decently too. The last page or so of the Invisibles looked good.

I must say, WE3 is one of the best comics I red this year. Allmost made me cry, hehe :o
    Last edited by Tweek; 09-25-2005 at 07:47 AM.

BANNED

We3 is great. Its one of the few non-superhero works Grant's done that I can completely comprehend (;)), and Morrison and Quitely are the best team working in comics.

loved it
    great characters :) of course-cat killer is my fav :D
    art was spectacular-remember those bullets? :o
    made me cry a little ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Tadhg Adams
    Except the trade costs 13 bucks
    That is annoying - and the main reason I'm holding out for it to get cheap enough on eBay

More Donald than Charlie stealthwise's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dancj
    That is annoying - and the main reason I'm holding out for it to get cheap enough on eBay
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books

$10.39 isn't bad.
    - Art is whatever makes you feel human.

- "You are what you love, not what loves you." - Donald Kaufman

- "Deserve's got nothing to do with it." - William Munny

- "Acquiescence. It's not so hard, really. You. Just. Give. In." - Col. Ives

I really loved it. It's been a long time since I came away from a three issue series and felt REALLY satisfied, but then WE3 came along. First off Quitely and Morrison's panel layouts and image construction are amazingly inventive and dramatic. I love how one scene of violence gets displayed over a series of disjointed panels to represent the fragmentary nature of spontaneous, brutal violence. In terms of story, Morrison manages to provide a compelling, moving, emotional, scary, and thrilling tale in three concise issues and with sparse dialogue, as Stealthwise said, but also without being too sentimental towards the animals. Morrison manages to balance sentimentality with a somber tone, made all the more tragic because these animals are really on the verge of self-awareness and able to feel complex and abstract ontological consciousness but not express this

Quote Originally Posted by stealthwise

For me it's 6.39, which isn't terrible, but it is more than I'm used to paying for 3 issues. It's not bad enough to keep it off my Christmas list though.

Interestingly, the British edition of WE3 is actuallly cheaper than the British edition of Seaguy

Dan