Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Default awesome

Quote Originally Posted by howyadoin
    Y'know, I'd really like to read that.
    Y'know, so would I...maybe I'll make it a fan fic or somethin'. I have heard of Lullaby...isn't that about teen Alice and Dorthy in the big city? Probably a subconscious influence on my idea.

That world Newton tree idea is trippy as hell! Velma's black? Is she also into the ladies, as I've heard? Whenever that book comes out I am so buying it!
    Last edited by jadegiant77; 09-07-2005 at 12:57 PM. Reason: wanted to add more
    "Don't make me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry." David Banner

"Someday, your ship will come in. Today is not that day." Zorak

"You ain't Linda Danvers, you ain't Supergirl."
    Kelex/Fortress of Solitude droid, Superman(vol.2) #198

"Pull on your tights and give 'em hell!!!" Batman, DK2 :evilsmile

"Shine on, you crazy diamond!"Anonymous

The League of Extraordinary Felines:
    1. Aslan: (Narnia) A lion, though not a tame one. Leader and spiritual adviser.
    2. Elsa: (Born Free) A more conventional lioness who finds Aslan a bit strange.
    3. Shere Khan: (Jungle Book) A tiger who is on the team mainly for strength purposes. Has to be restrained from killing everyone around him.
    4. Koko: (The Cat Who...series) A mystery-solving housecat who's bored with conventional small-town murders.
    5. Salem: (Sabrina, the Teenage Witch) Another housecat, Salem is useful for magic-related cases.
    6. Garfield: Fat, useless tabby who was placed on the team for marketing purposes.

I imagine this team would probably clash with the League of Extraordinary Mice mentioned earlier.

Don Quixote, leader. Yes, he's nuts, but his heart is pure and he keeps the group on the path of chivalry.

Dorian Gray, preener. Can't be killed and fills bishonen quota.

Frankenstein's monster, strength. My Frankenstein's monster would be a gentle giant.

Nick Carter, detective. The team's Batman.

The Demon Duelist. Mysterious masked swordsman.

And for fun:

Speedball. Pest. Yes, that Speedball.

@ howyadoin,

I'd really love to read HST's scathing opinions of Thomas Covenant in a letter to a Rolling Stones editor or something lol.

Like Dr Phil, but AWESOME Kirayoshi's Avatar
    On the Fields of Trensimore, when no living creature can speak falsely or fail to answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. M
    The League of Extraordinary Felines:
    1. Aslan: (Narnia) A lion, though not a tame one. Leader and spiritual adviser.
    2. Elsa: (Born Free) A more conventional lioness who finds Aslan a bit strange.
    3. Shere Khan: (Jungle Book) A tiger who is on the team mainly for strength purposes. Has to be restrained from killing everyone around him.
    4. Koko: (The Cat Who...series) A mystery-solving housecat who's bored with conventional small-town murders.
    5. Salem: (Sabrina, the Teenage Witch) Another housecat, Salem is useful for magic-related cases.
    6. Garfield: Fat, useless tabby who was placed on the team for marketing purposes.

I imagine this team would probably clash with the League of Extraordinary Mice mentioned earlier.
    Interesting line-up, mon ami. But in the interests of keeping things on a more-or-less even keel (I was the one who posted the League of Extraordinary Mice), I move that we replace Aslan, Elsa and Shere Kahn(who have a severe size advantage) with these cats, who would fit in the group photo better than the big cats(besides, mice helped save Aslan by gnawing at the ropes that held him to the sacrificial stone in 'The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe'):

1) Mister Mistopheles, T.S. Eliot's "Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats"(or Andrew Lloyd Webber's musical "Cats"). Skilled magician among cats. "And they all say, 'Oh well, I never, was there ever a cat so clever as magical Mr. Mistopheles?'"
    2) Fritti Tailchaser from Tad Williams' "Tailchaser's Song". An alley cat whose investigation of a friend's disappearance led to the lair of the demonic Hearteater. Street smart, tough and compassionate.
    3) (surprised you didn't consider this one) The Cat in the Hat. Team leader, provides the transportation(that funky car of his) and looks nothing like Mike Myers, thank you very much!
    4) Sylvester. If you can have Garfield, I can have Sylvester!
    5) Cheshire Cat. Definitely the team wildcard(or wild-cat?); like Griffin he can turn invisible. But let's face it, he's 'not all there'.

Potential villains include Macavity("Cats"), Ratigan("Basil of Baker Street") or that damn sell-out Morris! Never trusted him!
    Last edited by Kirayoshi; 09-11-2005 at 08:33 PM.
    Intellect and Romance over Brute Force and Cynicism!

Not bad, Mr. Kirayoshi. I actually like your line-up more than mine! I did feel a little stupid afterwards for forgetting to put the Cheshire Cat and the Cat in the Hat on the team. Actually, there are probably almost as many animal variations that can be made than human Leagues.

Modus omnibus in rebus Roquefort Raider's Avatar

What, no Puss 'n Boots nor Murr from the tales of Hoffmann?

And what about the Baron from the animated movie "the Cat returns"? He was one cool... well, cat!

Great ideas, Ms. M and Kirayoshi!

Basically, the UK and the USA have to revive an old concept of "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" to combat a world that wants to destroy these two superpowers. An evil genius, Ra's Al Ghul is scouring the world for the means to resurrect the greatest beast ever known....Grendel.

So, an old wise professor, Henry "Indiana" Jones Jr. recruits a team to hopefully defeat Ra's Al Ghul. They are

1. James Bond 007- team leader and a man jaded by his past
    2. John Rambo- The man that is brought in to train the team, although most think he is past his prime, he can still kick ass.

3. Dr. Hannibal Lecter- Brilliant, Psychotic, and the brains of the outfit
    4. Jack Burton- Underground hero with ties to magic
    5. Beatrix Kiddo- Woman Warrior
    6. Barbra Gordon- The living computer to her friends.
    We'd like to wish EZMOHR all the best in his future....ah forget it.

Quote Originally Posted by Roquefort Raider
    What, no Puss 'n Boots nor Murr from the tales of Hoffmann?

And what about the Baron from the animated movie "the Cat returns"? He was one cool... well, cat!
    I was thinking of the cat who helped Fafhrd & the Grey Mouser in Swords of Lankhmar.

And maybe Boise from Islands in the Stream.
    howyadoin?
    howyadoin graphics

song of the moment:
    "sao paulo" ~ the deadstring brothers

Like Dr Phil, but AWESOME Kirayoshi's Avatar
    On the Fields of Trensimore, when no living creature can speak falsely or fail to answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald M.
    The League of Extraordinary Cowards

Norville "Shaggy" Rogers

Scoobert "Scooby" Doo

Arnold J. Rimmer

Rincewind

Protocol Droid C3P0

They've never met a menace they couldn't outrun!
    And of course their natural team leader would be Falstaff.
    Intellect and Romance over Brute Force and Cynicism!

Voice of the Authorities Cleric of Hell's Brigade's Avatar

John Carter (Edgar Rice Burroughs's John Carter of Mars series) Leader.

Matthew Mantrell (Christopher Stasheff's A Wizard in Rhymn series) Magic user, fencer, Knight.

Angel (Simon R. Green's Drinking Midnight Wine book) Powerhouse and brusier.

Jack Fleming (P.N. Elrod's A Chill in the Blood { The vampire Files} ) Detective and Vampire.

Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden ( Jim Butcher's The Dresden Files ) Detective, wizard, and supernatural expert.

The Tin Man (Dale Brown's The Tin Man ) Military exp and connections. Also, gunman and pilot.

Althalus (David and Leigh Eddings's The Redemption of Althalus ) Thief and magic (Word) power user.

A Vampire, a masterful prep Wizard, a Military man/pilot/gunman, an Uber Thief, a Fallen Angel, a Lord Wizard, and A Uber Swordsmen/athelete/fighter from Mars.

Behold, The Drifters!
    Last edited by Cleric of Hell's Brigade; 10-27-2005 at 11:26 AM.
    Black Knight of SO
    Co-COTM for Feb 2006
    The Midnight Rider.
    Owner of SO's W/I Shop.
    Bearer of the Rumbles Matrix of Leadership

Wins on CBR

The League of Paranormal Investigators:

Peter Octavian from Christopher Golden's Shadow series is the leader. Why do you ask?
    -He fought in the Crusades
    -Became a vamp
    -Freed the Shadows(vamps) from the Church's magic after he learned their true nature
    -Sacrificed himself to stop a demonic invasion
    -Was trapped in hell and inhabited by their version of Satan
    -Survived being husked like a snakeskin by said uber-demon and was able to break his vampiric curse
    -During his imprisonment and possession he learned the elder magicks and is now his world's greatest mage.

Harry D'Amour from Clive Barker's Last Illusion and others.

Vicky Nelson and Henry Fitzroy from Tanya Huff's Blood series. I think we'll pick from them slightly after the series ends to add extra tension. :evilsmile

Hellboy- nuff said. We'll take the version from Christopher Golden's novels to keep it literary. He's the muscle and the heart of the team.

Repairman Jack from the F. Paul Wilson series. He gets drawn into the League in the usual fashion. He's not a joiner but a crisis is too big for him to handle forces him his hand.

The werewolf detective from George R. R. Martin's novella The Skin Trade.

I'd have them assembled by a red haired mystery man in order to defeat an ancient evil. The mystery man would be revealed as Karl Edward Wagner's immortal Kane who has his own not quite altruistic reasons for gathering them together.

Peace and Quiet. Jonathan Bogart's Avatar

When Moore's plans for the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen were first announced, I came up (kind of on the spur of the moment) with my own version, taken from my own reading at the time and trying to maintain the public-domain spirit of the original.

If I recall correctly, my team (circa 1900) consisted of a grown-up Mowgli from Rudyard Kipling's Jungle Books, Basil Grant from G. K. Chesterton's Club of Queer Trades stories, gentleman-thief Raffles from E. W. Hornung's once-very-popular "Raffles" stories and plays, the one woman (I forget her name now: Adele something?) who successfully foiled Sherlock Holmes in the Doyle canon, and a youthful Galahad Threepwood from P. G. Wodehouse's "Blandings Castle" novels and stories.

I didn't care much about sending them on adventures and so didn't bother identifying their RPGish characteristics; the limited time I spent thinking about it was mostly spent in creating amusing conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Bogart
    the one woman (I forget her name now: Adele something?) who successfully foiled Sherlock Holmes in the Doyle
    Irene Adler

Peace and Quiet. Jonathan Bogart's Avatar

There ya go.