View Poll Results: Marvel's Big Three?

Voters
211. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Spidey, Wolvie, and Captain America

63 29.86%
  • Spidey, Wolvie, and Hulk

84 39.81%
  • Spidey, Wolvie, and somebody else

16 7.58%
  • None of the above...other characters make up the Big Three

48 22.75%
Page 34 of 35 FirstFirst ... 24303132333435 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by finfangfool View Post
    I'd say the first team resembles them most concept-wise, the second in terms of powers. I'd also agree that Thor, Iron Man, & Captain America are the better trinity. I'd disagree however that Storm isn't the icon Wonder Woman is. Wonder Woman's been coasting on her Golden Age fame and that old TV show, but she hasn't really been a force in comics for some time. She's like Aquaman, (people know his name, he's famous, but unless you're in the minority you could take or leave him) except Aquaman has had a lot more interesting comics coming out over the last 20 years.

Storm was the leader of the most popular team in comics, the X-Men, for many years and while she wasn't the most popular (Wolverine, obviously) she came a close second for many. She also beat Wonder Woman at a fan vote (power-wise it didn't make much sense as all DC's icons are heavy in the power department, but it made more sense than Wolverine besting Lobo) which in my mind makes her the bigger icon in the comics world. It's not her fault she had Halle Berry making frog jokes for her to wreck her image in the wider world.
    Wonder Woman also has a 600+ solo comics history. Storm's mini-series a few years back didn't do well at all financially, and she most likely couldn't hold her own solo series (which is a shame). Wonder Woman's solo might not be top 10 material, but she's had her own comic since the 40's. Storm is definitely the Marvel female hero, but she's nowhere near Wonder Woman's status, by comic prominence or social recognition.

It's funny because despite Marvel's version of DC's Trinity being Cap/Iron Man/Thor, Spider-Man/Hulk/Wolverine are all much more popular and well-known.
    "Kryptonite-laced nail polish. Isn't it too divine? Under all that steel, just a man."
    -- Cheetah, Batman: The Brave and the Bold

Quote Originally Posted by SquidSquod View Post
    Currently, they're not.

Thor is the Superman analog of Marvel. The big gun of the Avengers. Made for Kenneth Branagh's movie.

There are many reasons why Marvel is in really into Thor.
    Both of them had multiple movies in production almost a decade before Thor was considered for the big screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    It's funny because despite Marvel's version of DC's Trinity being Cap/Iron Man/Thor, Spider-Man/Hulk/Wolverine are all much more popular and well-known.
    Which would make DC's version of Marvel's trinity Static, Swamp Thing, and Deathstroke the Terminator!

Default Who is Marvel's Trinity?

You know how DC has Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman. Well if Marvel had anything resembling a "Trinity" like DC's, who do you think would be in said trinity?

Personal picks: Spider-Man, Captain America, and Iron Man
    Last edited by Zeeguy91; 05-09-2012 at 01:32 AM.

They've been treating Thor, Cap, and Iron Man that way.
    Jean Grey, Gwen Stacy, Professor X, Mar-Vell, Richard Rider, Kid Loki- Bring Them Back!!!

Master of Time and Space Xarcon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    They've been treating Thor, Cap, and Iron Man that way.
    Yeah, I'd say it was them too.
    I'm still waiting for a new Wonder Twins ongoing. Let's make it happen, DC.

Spiderman, Wolverine, and Captain America.

My idea behing Captain America vs. Hulk: Captain America is a National Icon. The patriotic superhero that our grandparents know. He's been aroung longer than the Hulk and isn't just some giat green monster who kicks butt for the good of mankind, but he is idolized as the patirotic figure and the hero that all men can resonate with when thinking about our country and armed forces.

In general: Spidey, Cap and Hulk

Avengers specific: Cap, Thor and Iron Man
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    You know how DC has Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman. Well if Marvel had anything resembling a "Trinity" like DC's, who do you think would be in said trinity?
    as far as icon status goes its Spider-man, Wolverine, Hulk in that order

in universe its Tony, thor, and steve

Quote Originally Posted by DocWindigo View Post
    Spiderman, Wolverine, and Captain America.

My idea behing Captain America vs. Hulk: Captain America is a National Icon. The patriotic superhero that our grandparents know. He's been aroung longer than the Hulk and isn't just some giat green monster who kicks butt for the good of mankind, but he is idolized as the patirotic figure and the hero that all men can resonate with when thinking about our country and armed forces.
    Yeah but other than the costume and maybe the shield, how much did Joe Public know about Captain America before the movie hit?

Think of how much of Hulk is embedded in pop culture. The world knows Cap as a concept, but they know Hulk as a character.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyOldHermit View Post
    Yeah but other than the costume and maybe the shield, how much did Joe Public know about Captain America before the movie hit?

Think of how much of Hulk is embedded in pop culture. The world knows Cap as a concept, but they know Hulk as a character.
    By that you could ask how many people knew Wolverine before the cartoons and movies outside of the comic community.

But really Marvel doesn't have a 'Trinity' like DC does, at this point they have too many characters that could fall into it. If it was just based off mainstream cultural impact, I'd say Spider-man and the Hulk are the top two with Wolverine and Iron Man coming in behind them within the last twenty years thanks to tv shows and movies.

In the Evil Force of Evil Chiasm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zen-aku View Post
    as far as icon status goes its Spider-man, Wolverine, Hulk in that order
    I'd switch places with Hulk and Wolverine. I'll use my 60 something mother as proof: she could easily name Spidey and Hulk but I doubt she'd have a clue who Wolverine is. Hulk is one of the most visually memorable characters in all of comics which helps a lot in terms of being an icon. When talking icon status your talking about the general public, not the comic book reading community. In fact if you asked my mom to name Marvel's three top characters she'd probably drop at least one DC character in the list not realizing there is a difference.

Or to put it a different way:

Walk up to 20 random people and ask them to complete the following sentences:

1) Don't me angry you won't . . . . . .

2) I'm the best there is at what I do and . . . . . .

I'd be willing to bet far more would finish #1 than #2.
    Last edited by Chiasm; 05-11-2012 at 10:34 AM.

Marvel does not have a Big three,Marvel has a big or super six. Hulk,Captain America,Spiderman,Wolverine,Iron Man,Thor.If you are trying to equate DC to Marvel then Marvel Big three is the Avengers,Xmen and FF and just like wonder woman the FF is member that has kinda slip and you question if they should be there but you put in the mix because of past history.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiasm View Post
    I'd switch places with Hulk and Wolverine. I'll use my 60 something mother as proof: she could easily name Spidey and Hulk but I doubt she'd have a clue who Wolverine is. Hulk is one of the most visually memorable characters in all of comics which helps a lot in terms of being an icon. When talking icon status your talking about the general public, not the comic book reading community. In fact if you asked my mom to name Marvel's three top characters she'd probably drop at least one DC character in the list not realizing there is a difference.

Agreed on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiasm View Post

I agree completely.

Spider-Man has been a cultural icon for at least 45 years, starting with the 1967 cartoon and its famous theme song. The Hulk had similar level exposure 10 years later. By comparison, Wolverine's first major mainstream appearance was in X-Men TAS only 20 years ago, and his first really notable appearance was in the X-Men movie 12 years ago.