Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Top 10 Camp Sites

MSN picked the Top 10 Camp Sites in the U.S.:

Bear Mountain State Park - New York, N.Y.

Enchanted Rock State Natural Area - Fredericksburg, Texas

Fort Stevens State Park - Astoria, Ore.

Golden Gate Canyon State Park - Golden, Colo.

Henry W. Coe State Park - Morgan Hill, Calif.

Malibu Creek State Park - Malibu, Calif.

McKinney Falls State Park - Austin, Texas

Mohawk Trail State Forest - Charlemont, Mass.

Mount Tamalpais State Park - Mill Valley, Calif.

Pocahontas State Park - Chesterfield, Va.

http://local.msn.com/special/campsites.asp?GT1=6765

If you camp, what are your favorite camp sites and why . . .

There's a lake West of Leadville, Colorado. Surrounding the lake is a national forest with huge campsites all around.

Easily the most beautiful place I ever camped.

I have camped on the Oregon Coast. It was very beautiful and the freshly-caught crabs were wonderful.
    "I needed a password eight characters long so I picked Snow White and the Seven Dwarves."

Nick Helm, funniest gag winner, Edinburgh Fringe Festival

Forgive Friedrich's Debt Aaron Kashtan's Avatar

The KOA Campground in San Diego, CA.
    Aaron Kashtan | Formerly Sir Tim Drake
    Classic Comics Forum Moderator Emeritus
    COTM MC Emeritus
    Brittain Fellowship | UF Comics Studies | Examples of my work
    ---
    "Meanwhile, a puppy that fell down a storm drain on Proxima Centauri was rescued by a trained slith, which unfortunately then ate it. And now, sports."

Unfortunately most of my camping has been within the Mid-Atlantic region (specifically DE, PA, MD and NJ).

I have been camping at Joshua Tree National Park, and it's very cool. Amazing sunsets.

I've also spent a week in Ontario camping/canoeing and that was beautiful too; almost too serene. I prefer rapids to lake canoeing.

Every four years we spend a week 'camping' on a sailboat in the Keys for a week, but that probably doesn't count. But part of a previous Keys trip included overnight tent-camping on the beach of Fort Jefferson at Dry Tortugas National Park.

Alternately, every other four years we hike/canoe/camp in and near Baxter State Park in Maine, usually canoeing along Lakes Webster and Matagamnon or along the Allegash. This canoeing is more my speed, and the scenery and wildlife are amazing. Also, both the Keys and Maine have awesome night skies.

Locally, I love to camp at Rodney Scout Reservation in North East, MD, on the Chesapeake Bay. Great sailing and sailboarding. Plus it's almost like a second home because I've gone so often.

I also enjoy camping at Cape Henlopen State Park, which is a sea shore camping site. It's hot and buggy but worth it. The same goes for Assateague and/or Chincoteague, with their wild horses.

I enjoy camping along segments of the AT in PA, and hope to do more sections in the future.

Camping at Hickory Run State Park in PA is also nice, though mostly because we usually go whitewater rafting on those weekends.

Another neat place to camp is at the youth group site at Gettysburg National Military Park. It's very cool to be camping in such a historic setting.

ALL FEAR SQUIRREL GIRL!! dougputhoff's Avatar

Gee, I thought you meant websites that WERE camp.

They missed Black Woods on Mount Desert Island, Maine. Plus, Hawaii Volcanoes National Park has some awesome places to get close to the action for real cheap.

I don't think any of the Travel Channel's top ten made their web site...
    "I needed a password eight characters long so I picked Snow White and the Seven Dwarves."

Meremac State Park, outside Stanton MO

not real scenic, but cheap and very noob friendly and driving distance to a few attractions/tourist traps like Meremac Cavern, Jesse James Museum, Six Flags.

Plus its flat and lots of shade.
    My Multiverse had a Crisis, and all i got was a lousy Reboot!

"When the f*ck did we get Ice Cream?"
    Wendell, The Ringer

"After a while, I was able to use the squirrel to break down the door..."
    Granny Puckett, Hoodwinked

=====================

"DONT TALK $H!T ABOUT TOTAL!!!!"
    TOURETTES GUY

Warning: get a trail map before hiking in Meremac! We followed the signs, believing we were on a 2 mile trail; it turned out that the two-mile trail originated on the 6-mile trail we were on!

Thanks for the replies. :)

When I got married 15 years ago I stopped camping because, well, the wife hates it.

But now my son is a cub scout and I'm getting back into it and enjoying it, although my middle-aged body doesn't sleep so well in a tent anymore. I think the cost of a good night's sleep is worth the benefits of being out in a beautiful natural setting, so I'm still psyched.

Probably the nicest and most beautiful place I've ever camped is a backpacking trip along the Appachian Trail in upper New Hampshire. We got above the tree line and it was gorgeous.

As a cadet in college, I also did the ole "sailing camping" when we sailed around Long Island Sound in a 44' Luder. That was great fun. I loved pulling into Nantucket, Block Island, Newport, etc., and sleeping on the open deck of the boat under the stars.

We visited Bryce Canyon last year. We didn't camp, but I wanna camp there so bad, I'm planning on going back there just for the experience.

As a scout, I camped in various places in Mid-Michigan. My favorite place was called Shimilicon on the Grand River. We camped up on a cliff overlooking the river in pine trees. The view of the river was gorgeous and the smell of pines in the morning was refreshing. Chief Okemos was buried there, and he's the namesake of Chief Okemos Boy Scout Council in the Lansing area.

I'm currently camping in the boy scout camps in the Philadelphia area - namely Camp Garrison, Camp Delmont, and Camp Hart. So far, Camp Hart is my favorite, and I'm returning there for a week of camping with my son in a couple of weeks.

I'm looking forward to camping in the PA state parks. Everbody says I have to go to Ricketts Glen , so I'll plan on doing just that.

mattbib's suggestion of Gettysburg and Hickory Run are on my list of places to go too.

Pro-Reg.Think of the Kids Sentry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougputhoff
    Gee, I thought you meant websites that WERE camp.

me too , i was about to submit this ...http://thewizardofoz.warnerbros.com/
    Tobias: Okay, Lindsay, are you forgetting that I was a professional twice over— an analyst and a therapist. The world’s first analrapist.

Kluane Lake. In BC, I think. Can't risk looking it up on this computer/connection.

Quote Originally Posted by Winslow
    I'm currently camping in the boy scout camps in the Philadelphia area - namely Camp Garrison, Camp Delmont, and Camp Hart. So far, Camp Hart is my favorite, and I'm returning there for a week of camping with my son in a couple of weeks.
    I've been to Delmont and remember it being pretty nice. Other cool Scout camps in the area are Treasure Island, Horseshoe, Resica Falls, Hawk Mountain, and Broad Creek. I head to Rodney for a week on Sunday.

i hate camping, but one of my favorite places that i camped at was red fleet utah.

when it comes to camping though, state parks kill national parks.

One of my favorite places that I have ever camped is at Pamelia Lake, which is at the base of Mount Jefferson in Oregon. I camped there a bunch as a kid, and I realize that it isn't a massive hike, but it's got some sweet perks. It is only a mile or so hike in. On the opposite side of the lake from the mountain is Grizzly Peak. It is a few mile hike to the top of a peak that used to have some sort of forrest service lookout tower on top of it. So when you get to the flattened and cleared top of this peak you have a beautiful face to face view of Mount Jefferson, a vista type view of the whole valley, Mount Hood and Three Fingered Jack if you are lucky. It is also a very good day hike to go to the lake and up the peak.

When looking up links for this post I read something about permits and keeping numbers of overnight campers down, so if anyone is interested in that aspect, you should look up how to get a hold of said permit.

http://www.oregonhiking.com/photos/247.htm