Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Nick Fury's Howling Commandos

Is anyone else going to read this book? Has anyone even heard of it? It sounds like a pretty promising idea: the monsters of the marvel U fighting for truth, justice, and the American way. Its written by Keith Giffen, which I'm happy about, because I liked his Suicide Squad book, but I'm probably the only one. Also the art looks solid, artist is Edu Francisco. I've never heard of him, but from what I've seen I like him a lot. Anyhoo, what are your thoughts on this title?

I know now vy yoo cry... The Defenestrator's Avatar
    San Diego! Los Angeles doesn't taste good.

I dunno, man. I like Giffen, but Francisco's art on Victory had some really, really odd breastesses and lumpy squares. I'll check it out when it comes, but it's no guaranteed buy the way Defenders is.

I'll pick up the first issue and well see where it goes from there. i like the art ive seen so far. im always interesting in seeing what can be done with obscure characters.

I like Giffen. Fury's my favorite character, and it's a cool idea. I'll pick it up.

unwshd & smwht slitly dzd Schmakt's Avatar

I don't think so... would have preferred DumDum and the boys...

or get the Marvel A-list monsters...

From what I read, the Marvel book sounded like a copy of DC's recent Creature Commandeos mini (and that book dissappointed me).

I'm a big fan of Marvel Monsters. I'd love to see a new Werewolf by night or Morbius or Tomb of Dracula series. But this sort of seems like a rejected early-nineties/Liefeld concept. Because Giffen is involved I might get the first issue, I should check it out before I crap on it.

Is it slated as a mini or an ongoing?

The book was originally going to be a five-issue mini acording to wizard, but in the new marvel previews it says it will be an ongoing. I think it will be a worthy read, but due to the lack of press, it wont last that long. I hope im wrong about it though.

MobyDick&theLightsabers SpecialAgentPunk's Avatar

seems interesting, and since HOM should be over by then, I'll definetly pick it up. Right now I'm reading 1602 trade, and Nick Fury is one cool cat.

I want to get into a comic about conspiracies and spies, things like that. Is there a current Nick Fury title (non ultimate) or any other good titles like that? What about XIII?
    --Hurdy Gur--

I think it's a pretty cool concept and, since I love monsters, I'll definitely be picking it up.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainAwesome
    ...I liked his Suicide Squad book, but I'm probably the only one.
    Nah, I was the other one.

I'll be picking up the book - but I'm kind of surprised that Vampire By Night graduated from back-up status so quickly. Maybe her uncle Jack will show up at some point?

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialAgentPunk
    s
    I want to get into a comic about conspiracies and spies, things like that. Is there a current Nick Fury title (non ultimate) or any other good titles like that? What about XIII?

Bendis has talked of lauching a Fury book, with Jim Steranko, but he has no series at this point. If you want to read Fury pick up this

If you want a good spy book check out Black Widow: Homecoming, and Black Widow Vol.2 coming out in Sepetember.
    Last edited by Tony Bang; 08-10-2005 at 09:28 AM.

I never picked this up but am intrigued now enough to want to look into back issues or the trade paperback. Anyone else read it? It sounds like it was off to the side of the main Marvel "events" of the time (Secret War, House of M, etc.) which suits me just fine...

David

Great idea.

Poor execution.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeweasel View Post
    Great idea.

Poor execution.

Have to agree. And poor art, as I recall.

Sandy Hausler