Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Look Mom No Avatar

Default The Princess Bride respect thread

Just got done watching this gem again and it strikes me that this is one movie that is damn near perfect.

It has everything a classic should have

A fine story, great characters, epic romance, revenge, comedy and is just written and acted so damn well.

Am I the only one that thinks this is one of the most underrated movies of all time or are others out there?

Senior Member The Mirrorball Man's Avatar

I love "Princess Bride" but I don't think it's underrated. On the contrary, there seems to be a strong consensus about the quality of this movie.
    Check out my deviantART gallery!

Look Mom No Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Mirrorball Man
    I love "Princess Bride" but I don't think it's underrated. On the contrary, there seems to be a strong consensus about the quality of this movie.

I meant by the mainstream. It has a huge cult following but I don't see it given it respect by the mainstream of hollywood. I don't see it on my top 100 lists. Not that should or does matter.

"Life IS pain highness. Anyone who tells you different is selling something."

Sheer Perfection.

read the book,preferably the abridged version(which I believe the movie director did as well), while the movie was great a lot of good lines and scenes(ie the Zoo of Death) didn't make it and its harder to pick up on the original author's humor than it from reading it.
    "Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die." -Mel Brooks
    OIF 08-09
    OEF 10-11
    Do it yourself tech support link

I saw the book at Borders once. I should've bought it! :(

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi
    read the book,preferably the abridged version(which I believe the movie director did as well), while the movie was great a lot of good lines and scenes(ie the Zoo of Death) didn't make it and its harder to pick up on the original author's humor than it from reading it.
    Yeah, it takes some searching to get hold of the unabridged version. All the good parts are in the abridged version anyway.

As you wish.
    Corrina Lawson: Writer, Mom, Geek & Superhero.

Phoenix Rising, a superhero adventure, coming in November.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Galaxy
    "Life IS pain, highness. Anyone who tells you different is selling something."

Sheer Perfection.
    A guy used that quote on a second date and my best friend ordered me to marry him.

The drinking game is a blast too. Although the Carol Kane bit runs the risk of killing you. One of the cues is to drink every time someone says 'Humperdink' and she says it thirteen times while chasing Billy Crystal around the post. If you've got something carbonated, you end up with a godawful case of hiccups.

I recently found the 25th anniversary edition of the book at Goodwill for $3.

I think the mainstream doesn't get it, because it's largely a satire, and, in the mainstream, unless satire is spelled out for you, people can't read satire.

Quote Originally Posted by Corsair
    Yeah, it takes some searching to get hold of the unabridged version. All the good parts are in the abridged version anyway.
    Yeah, and in addition it comes with the first chapter of the sequel, which is supposedly even harder to find than TPB.
    "Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die." -Mel Brooks
    OIF 08-09
    OEF 10-11
    Do it yourself tech support link

The sword fight between Inigo and The Dread Pirate Roberts on the Cliffs of Insanity has to rank as one of the best movie sword fights ever.

The Princess Bride was an awesome movie.
    "You blew it! You blew it! Hear that video crowd? THEY HATE YOU!"

My favorite movie. But I dont like telling people because there is a good chance that they havent seen it and then, based upon the title, they think my favorite movie is a chick flick. :D
    "Sure, there have been deaths and injuries in boxing, but none of them serious." Alan minter

The Princess Brides is one of those movies that you can catch halfway through on USA and watch the rest of it. Very few movies have that quality that are so fun to watch it doesn't matter that you've seen it an uncountable amount of times or missed the first 45 minutes of it. The only movies I can think of like that are The Princess Bride and Temple of Doom.

On a side note, a friend of mine referred to the ROUSs about a month ago, and sadly, I was the only one in the room who had any idea what he was talking about.

Azumanga Avenger! Yay! The Real Nemo's Avatar

I loved both the book and movie, in fact they're what convinced me to take up fencing in high school...

spoilers:
    I totally bought the whole S. Morgenstern thing for the longest time though... :(
    end of spoilers