Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: My CD Reviews!

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke
    Two new reviews have been added to my signature as of 1/2/2006!
    Kind of a luke warm review for Mick Harvey. I love Nick Cave's stuff and would be willing to check out this CD.
    I could sleep all day.

RIP Ronnie James Dio Deathstroke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Davideaux
    Kind of a luke warm review for Mick Harvey. I love Nick Cave's stuff and would be willing to check out this CD.
    It was a lukewarm review because that's basically how I felt about it. I listened to it twice but just couldn't really get into it that much. It's not my preferred type of music. While that normally doesn't matter because through the website I've discovered a ton of new music to listen to, this one just didn't come across overly well to me.

Thanks for reading though!
    I'm on Twitter

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

I'll likely pick up the Maiden album later today.
    Last edited by Hiromi; 01-02-2006 at 09:59 AM.
    "Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die." -Mel Brooks
    OIF 08-09
    OEF 10-11
    Do it yourself tech support link

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi
    I'll likely pick up the Maiden album later today.

Good to hear!
    I'm on Twitter

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Yeah you hit it pretty well, though in their defense Can I Play with Madness has always come off a bit weak live, this version was about as good as the one they did in Live at Donnington. And I'm happy to finally get a version of Lord of the Flies with Dickinson singing(and it was awesome). As for the new material both Paschendale and Dance of Death sound really good live.
    "Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die." -Mel Brooks
    OIF 08-09
    OEF 10-11

Glad you liked it!
    I'm on Twitter

"Can I Play with Madness" is kind of like "Run to the Hills," it's great on the album, but it is really hit or miss live.

"Pashendale" is amazing on Death on the Road, I can't wait to see the DVD.

I like "Wildest Dreams" here. In fact, I think it's better than on Dance of Death. I enjoy the new opening and while Bruce does seem off on parts, those parts are few and far between.

I also love "No More Lies," but then again, I like the song. (Even if it isn't Maiden's most original song.)

In fact, most of the best songs on the CD are new ones. I really wish more Maiden fans would give the new stuff a chance. Should they ever do a full US tour again, I'd love it if they would play more new stuff. I've seen the "classics" half a dozen times, already.
    Free your soul and let it fly....

Quote Originally Posted by DonC
    "Can I Play with Madness" is kind of like "Run to the Hills," it's great on the album, but it is really hit or miss live.

"Pashendale" is amazing on Death on the Road, I can't wait to see the DVD.

I like "Wildest Dreams" here. In fact, I think it's better than on Dance of Death. I enjoy the new opening and while Bruce does seem off on parts, those parts are few and far between.

I also love "No More Lies," but then again, I like the song. (Even if it isn't Maiden's most original song.)

In fact, most of the best songs on the CD are new ones. I really wish more Maiden fans would give the new stuff a chance. Should they ever do a full US tour again, I'd love it if they would play more new stuff. I've seen the "classics" half a dozen times, already.
    I give every album a chance. I usually end up loving them, and I've been a big fan of Brave New World and Dance of Death.

I'll be adding two new reviews to the signature later tonight by the way.
    I'm on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke
    I give every album a chance. I usually end up loving them, and I've been a big fan of Brave New World and Dance of Death.

I wasn't singling you out or anything, reading your review of Death on the Road shows you give the new stuff a chance. I was talking more about the fans Bruce Dickinson was complaining about, the ones who only want to hear the old stuff. I would honestly love it if they dropped songs like "2 Minutes to Midnight" and "The Trooper" for newer stuff.
    Free your soul and let it fly....

Quote Originally Posted by DonC
    I wasn't singling you out or anything, reading your review of Death on the Road shows you give the new stuff a chance. I was talking more about the fans Bruce Dickinson was complaining about, the ones who only want to hear the old stuff. I would honestly love it if they dropped songs like "2 Minutes to Midnight" and "The Trooper" for newer stuff.
    No worries, I know you weren't singling me out.

However, the two songs you suggest, I would rather see in the set list.

Dropping Can I Play With Madness? is a move I would prefer if they can't do it any better than DOTR.

Oh, and over on Bruce Dickinson's forum, someone informed me that the show was recorded on a night when Bruce was in the midst of vocal problems anyway. He had been sick or something.
    I'm on Twitter

Two new reviews are now available in my signature.
    I'm on Twitter

Need to pick up the Deep purple un.
    OIF 08-09
    OEF 10-11

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi
    Need to pick up the Deep purple un.

Yes you do!
    I'm on Twitter

Found something interesting, the recent Maiden live album took place in Dortmon I think, here's another concert they did in Dortmon, only difference is that it happened 23 years ago on the Piece of Mind Tour.

http://youtube.com/w/Iron-Maiden---I...=Iron%20maiden

compare and contrast? Bruce has a lot more power in his upper vocal range than he did back then, funny how his voice only gets better as he gets older.
    Last edited by Hiromi; 01-16-2006 at 06:24 PM.
    OIF 08-09
    OEF 10-11

It's a rare thing when a singer can maintain or get better on his vocals as they get older.

Ronnie James Dio is superb as well like that.
    I'm on Twitter