Page 56 of 78 FirstFirst ... 64652535455565758596066 ... LastLast

Thread: I Heart Havok

Quote Originally Posted by Fargo View Post
    so.. what havok fans think about the new costume in Uncanny Avengers?? personally looks awful
    Yeah, the mask being over his head is horrible

Quote Originally Posted by Fargo View Post
    so.. what havok fans think about the new costume in Uncanny Avengers?? personally looks awful
    Definitely underwhelmed by this design from Cassaday, especially considering the great job he did on the costumes he revamped when launching Astonishing X-Men nearly 10 years ago.

If Remender and company really wanted to emulate Havok’s original costume by Neal Adams so badly I would rather they just go with that outfit instead of trying to modernize it with slight tweaks of the headgear no longer protruding from the skullcap and the odd white gloves (a la Bucky Captain America). Updating Havok’s look while trying to incorporate the headpiece/egg whisks has already failed twice you could say with the first time being the Phillip Tan redesign from Uncanny X-Men #425 and the second when Larroca redesign debuted in X-Men #157, and was then quickly overhauled by X-Men #166.

But despite the costume gripe I am glad Havok will be at the forefront in a book with a writer that has an affinity for the character.

I wonder if the his headgear will flair up when he uses his powers.
    In war the elders may give the orders, but it's the young who have to fight.

Quote Originally Posted by starman View Post
    I wonder if the his headgear will flair up when he uses his powers.
    It could be possible but I am thinking since they have gone to a version of similar to his original outfit that hopefully it means Havok’s power signature will return with the panel on his chest enlarging while powering up followed by the concentric circles when firing a plasma blast.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Havok.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	46.5 KB 
ID:	98157

Name:	Havok+power.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	37.7 KB 
ID:	98158

I agree with all of you guys-- this outfit looks to be trying too hard to merge classic elements into a modern environment. Though, I still hope to see other artists draw this costume, because, for some reason, the cover with Cassaday's art isn't really attractive; so maybe it's that? I also hope Remender explains the costume change, rather than there just being a change. Maybe Alex got annoyed at everyone always referencing him to Tron [latest X-Factor issue].
    “Comics are a gateway drug to literacy.”
    by the light, by the truth, by sangreal and sword and pendragon's fire
    by defender's might and dragon circle's destiny behold thy bane!

✘ stephen strange

From earlier today:

Havok character design by John Cassaday, plus the interview portion with Brevoort discussing the costume. http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=40477

Name:	1345125048.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	99101

Geek: Starting off with Havok, it seems like this is a combination of a few of his looks, including the return of the three bands, but the loss of his beloved headsock. What was the idea behind this change?
    TB: In essence, Rick and I wanted to go back to something approximating his original cool Neal Adams design—the black highlight-less bodysuit with the concentric circle power effect. That was always his most distinctive look in my opinion, and nothing he’s worn since that has really been all that memorable. So John took his cues from that design, tweaked it a little bit, pulled that strange antennae-thing he had on his head down onto his cowl, and off we went. I seem to recall that John initially had him with a full belt, and I had to talk him into compromising with the sort of side belt things.
    Geek: The other major difference from his current costume seems to be -- as you touched on -- the loss of glowing rings. Are we moving away from the "Tron" inspired aesthetic in general?
    TB: I’d say it’s more moving back towards the way Neal Adams originally depicted his powers working visually back in the day, only maybe modernized a little bit. So yeah, no glowy "Tron" lines necessarily, but a while lot of concentric circles.

BANNED

omg~~~~~~ this BEaUTIFUL thread is still here!~
    It was the thread that was the first appreciation and now there is a whole section

#proudtear~~~

I'm glad havok is getting his place to shine

Havok details from the variant covers to Uncanny Avengers #1 by Pichelli and Acuna.

Name:	uncanny havok1.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	24.2 KB 
ID:	100145 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uncanny havok acuna.jpg 
Size:	30.6 KB 
ID:	100144

I like that they've kept him fairly slim-bodied. The white gloves is unfortunate in Acuna's version, less white is more, and puts the focus on the power level signature.
    Not sure where the seemingly "anti-tron" sentiment in costume design comes from. If a character ever had rights to utilize modern color techniques to emulate Tron, Havok is he.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    Havok details from the variant covers to Uncanny Avengers #1 by Pichelli and Acuna.

Name:	uncanny havok1.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	24.2 KB 
ID:	100145 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uncanny havok acuna.jpg 
Size:	30.6 KB 
ID:	100144

I like that they've kept him fairly slim-bodied. The white gloves is unfortunate in Acuna's version, less white is more, and puts the focus on the power level signature.
    Not sure where the seemingly "anti-tron" sentiment in costume design comes from. If a character ever had rights to utilize modern color techniques to emulate Tron, Havok is he.
    Pichelli really makes this costume bearable, though I like the look Acuna is going for with the white/silver parts of the costume glowing.

Noto posted this on his tumblr today.

While I don't care for the pairing it's a nice picture.
    As for UA I'm pretty in the middle of the whole situation. I love Havok and I'm a big fan of Remender's work but I just can't seem to get excited about the rest of the cast or the premise. I'm going to try it out because getting Havok in a bigger role is never a bad thing and it might turn out great.
    Psylocke

Nice pic. I'm very excited for Uncanny Avengers. Let's see if Remender will succeed where so many others have failed with Havok. Havok is going to be the team leader of some of the most high-profile Marvel characters around. It's so easy for me to be cynical about these promos, but I am looking forward to reading this title. Havok should have graduated to the big leagues years ago and finally is getting a shot. I'm definitely going to support any type of promotion he gets.
    There are no bad writers, only bad characters.

Polaris Haters

BANNED

Cool pic.

UA's a given for me, and I love the fact that Havok's going to interact with people he normally doesn't get the chance to.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt J. View Post
    Cool pic.

UA's a given for me, and I love the fact that Havok's going to interact with people he normally doesn't get the chance to.
    I know!!! This is HUGE for him. I hope UA does well in sales.
    There are no bad writers, only bad characters.

Polaris Haters

Elder Member

Quote Originally Posted by Siena Blaze View Post
    I know!!! This is HUGE for him. I hope UA does well in sales.
    Its pre-order sales are already over 300K, it could pull in half a million or more making it the best selling comic since the 90s.