Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Forgive Friedrich's Debt Aaron Kashtan's Avatar

In their famous/infamous book How to Read Donald Duck, one of Ariel Dorfman's examples is the panel from "Lost in the Andes" where Huey, Dewey and Louie say "We'll teach them square dancing!" But they used a Chilean translation of this story, in which the translator completely mangled the original line, apparently to create a square pun that would work in Spanish. When translated back into English from Dorfman and Mattelart's translation, the line becomes:

We will teach them to stand to attention before their superiors.
    Aaron Kashtan | Formerly Sir Tim Drake
    Classic Comics Forum Moderator Emeritus
    COTM MC Emeritus
    Brittain Fellowship | UF Comics Studies | Examples of my work
    ---
    "Meanwhile, a puppy that fell down a storm drain on Proxima Centauri was rescued by a trained slith, which unfortunately then ate it. And now, sports."

When Tara is at last satisfied with Morgan's skill with a blade, they resume their interrupted journey...
    -- That double entendre can't have been accidental. Warlord #1, dialogue by Mike Grell.
    COTM MC Emeritus
    ---
    "Meanwhile, a puppy that fell down a storm drain on Proxima Centauri was rescued by a trained slith, which unfortunately then ate it. And now, sports."

Quote Originally Posted by tricksterpup
    I just want to say, here is one of my favorites. ITs from a Classic JLA. :)
    Maybe its the bikini briefs?
    :D :D
    See post #57 page 4.
    Last edited by drnocturne2; 02-28-2006 at 08:03 AM.

From Batman #1, the first Catwoman story:
    Batman grabs Selina and rubs her face to remove a disguise.
    Selina: Let go of me!
    Batman: Quiet or Papa spank!

From All-Star Comics #37 page 5 panel 5.
    The Justice Society must disperse to fight the Injustice Society.
    Green Lantern: Hawkman covers the west, Mid-Nite south, Central U.S.A. for the Flash, I'll take the north myself, and Wonder Woman and Johnny Thunder hold the fort here.
    Johnny Thunder: Aw, I never have any fun!
    Wonder Woman: Johnny, I have a feeling there'll be plenty of action for us, too!

From All-American Comics #61.
    Green Lantern walks all the way across town to rescue his friend Doiby Dickles. As he prepares for action he remembers, "My ring! I haven't got it!"

From Giant-Size Master of Kung Fu #1:
    Shang Chi is entering a building.
    Security Guard: Hey kid, why don't you wear some shoes?
    Shang Chi: Why do you fear touching the earth? Does not the concrete separate you from it enough?

From Weird Adventure Comics #435:
    Reporter Earl Crawford is investigating a series of bizarre deaths of murderers, when he is kidnapped himself. The Spectre comes alive out of a candle flame to rescue him and dispense more Spectre-like justice.
    Crawford: M-my God! Y-you've turned him into...into...a block of wood! Oh (gasp!) n-no! N-not the saw! Y-you're not going to use the saw!

"Only two things staunch the flow of blood.

Time.... and Fire.

I have No Time."

-Snakes-Eye narrating as he blasts himself in the face with a flamethrower to cauterize a sword wound in Transfomers/GIJoe

"Oh my God! The Parasite has split Captain Atom open! HE'S SPLIT HIM OPE-"

-WKEY camera-man's last words before kaboom in Kingdom Come

"Tell them they're already DEAD. They just haven't fallen DOWN yet."
    -Deadshot's message for the Inner Circle of the Society in Villains United.

"I am from Beyond! Slay your enemies and all you desire shall be yours! Nothing you dream of is impossible for me to accomplish!"
    -The Beyonder intorducing himself in Secret Wars I #1
    "Our job is to do the impossible and make it look easy." Hawk G.I.Joe #1 (marvel series)

"Irony can be pretty ironic sometimes" Buck Murdoc Airplane II the Sequel

Favorite Writers: Geoff Johns, Larry Hama, Kurt Busiek

Favorite Artists: George Perez, Alex Ross

Favorite Heroes: Captain America, Captain Harlock, Alan Scott, Duke, Optimus Prime

Favorite Villains: Char Aznable, Darth Vader, Megatron, Dr Doom

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Tim Drake
    In their famous/infamous book How to Read Donald Duck, one of Ariel Dorfman's examples is the panel from "Lost in the Andes" where Huey, Dewey and Louie say "We'll teach them square dancing!" But they used a Chilean translation of this story, in which the translator completely mangled the original line, apparently to create a square pun that would work in Spanish. When translated back into English from Dorfman and Mattelart's translation, the line becomes:
    I looked at the Spanish version of How to Read Donald Duck today, and now I understand how the error came about. The line was translated as something like "Les ensenaremos a cuadrarse enfrente de sus gobernantes" or something like that. Apparently "cuadrarse" means both "to make a square of oneself" and "to stand at attention." So the original translator did a nice job of creating a square pun that worked in Spanish. When it was retranslated the pun was completely lost.
    COTM MC Emeritus
    ---

[From Fantastic Four #280]

Johnny: Wow! Those colors are really something else! Looks like the set for a Michael Jackson video.

Reed: Perhaps. But those colors have a far sinister meaning, lad.
    Last edited by yonoid; 03-15-2006 at 04:27 AM.

Speaking of new fathers named Scott, this is in reference to Scott’s desire to continue leading the X-Men despite having a newborn baby:

MADELYNE: What about me? I have a life of my own-- a career-- do you expect me to chuck it?!
    SCOTT: I thought the baby changed all that.
    --Scott Summers, champion of gender equality. From Uncanny X-Men #201, dialogue by Chris Claremont.
    COTM MC Emeritus
    ---

Tiger Shark: Go ahead Namor...kill me like they're all shouting!

Subby: A throne comes not without a price...a price which any who would sit upon it...must pay!

Tiger Shark: Y-you missed me...on purpose!

Subby: Ay, fallen one...for to Namor, no prize is worth the cost...of a single human life!

-Sub-Mariner #6; Oct. 1968

Cause I'm feeling a little morbid, here are some lines regarding characters about to kick the bucket

"Hey Gary, can I make a suggestion? You could all EAT LEAD AND DIE!" (massive gunfire)
    -Scourge, just before killing 18 supervillains at the Bar with No Name in Captain America #319

"You turn in battle girl? That is a fatal mistake."
    -The Anti-Monitor just before delivering the killing blow to Supergirl in Crisis on Infinite Earths #7

Coil Trooper: "Well, well, any last words?"
    Flash: "Yeah....Mission Accomplished"
    (explosion)
    the Joes Flash, and Mainframe getting caught by enemy troops seconds before a bomb they set goes off in GIJoe (devil's due) #25

Power Ring: "Ultraman WAIT! What are you doing?"
    Ultraman: "What I have done my entire life. I fight to the very end!"
    Earth-3's Ultraman going out with diginity and some ironic heroism in Crisis on Infinite Earths #1

"My armor's powered by a four-dimensional battery, Yeah? The only thing that stops the energy from erupting to 3-D space with a destructove force greater than any weapon known on Earth....is a little fader switch on my belt. And guess what I just did?"
    Azteka sacrificing herself to help bring down Darkseid's dark future in JLA #14
    "Our job is to do the impossible and make it look easy." Hawk G.I.Joe #1 (marvel series)

"Irony can be pretty ironic sometimes" Buck Murdoc Airplane II the Sequel

Favorite Writers: Geoff Johns, Larry Hama, Kurt Busiek

Favorite Artists: George Perez, Alex Ross

Favorite Heroes: Captain America, Captain Harlock, Alan Scott, Duke, Optimus Prime

Favorite Villains: Char Aznable, Darth Vader, Megatron, Dr Doom

(This scene takes place in a drugstore.)

LYNDA: Excuse me,

WOMAN: Yes?

LYNDA: I'm a teacher, well actually I'm a volunteer teacher because actually I'm an artist and I love kids but I don't have kids so I volunteer teach and you know how kids get headlice well now I have headlice so what do you recommend?

WOMAN: Oh, I don't work here, dear.
    --From Lynda Barry's One! Hundred! Demons! Who among us has not had an experience like this?
    COTM MC Emeritus
    ---