Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Forgive Friedrich's Debt Aaron Kashtan's Avatar

His accusations are beneath contempt. I have nothing to ask him. I can barely stand the sight of him.
    --Attorney Samuel T. Cogsley refusing to cross-examine the witness Prefect Witten, from the "Trial of James T. Kirk" in Star Trek #10-12. (Dialogue by Peter David.) Quite a stinging putdown!
    Aaron Kashtan | Formerly Sir Tim Drake
    Classic Comics Forum Moderator Emeritus
    COTM MC Emeritus
    Brittain Fellowship | UF Comics Studies | Examples of my work
    ---
    "Meanwhile, a puppy that fell down a storm drain on Proxima Centauri was rescued by a trained slith, which unfortunately then ate it. And now, sports."

[b]
    J. JONAH JAMESON: The whole @**!!#!%@??!! country's going to the dogs! A man can't even enjoy himself in the hospital anymore! I'm gonna fire every nincompoop on that paper!!
    NURSE: Mr. Jameson! You're delirious!
    JJJ: You're ding dong right I am!
    --JJJ, in the hospital, after seeing a positive article about Spider-Man in the Daily Bugle. From Amazing Spider-Man #72, dialogue by Stan the Man.
    COTM MC Emeritus
    ---
    "Meanwhile, a puppy that fell down a storm drain on Proxima Centauri was rescued by a trained slith, which unfortunately then ate it. And now, sports."

Featuring, as it does, a deformed, child-murdering, wife-beating psychopath who commits appalling acts of violence and cruelty upon all those around him and escapes scot-free, [Punch and Judy] is greatly enjoyed by small children.
    --From the Wikipedia entry on Punch and Judy. I know this has nothing to do with comics, but I was inspired to look up this encyclopedia entry after reading Gaiman and McKean's Mr. Punch. Besides, it's funny. :)
    COTM MC Emeritus
    ---

Meanwhile, at a gratuitous fight scene on New Genesis...
    --Caption from Young Justice #29, script by Peter David.
    COTM MC Emeritus
    ---

IKEDA: Don't call me "Lord." I am just "Ike," a poor peasant. My days as a lord are long past.
    SANSHOBO: Forgive me, my lord.
    --Not taking the hint, from Usagi Yojimbo #46. Dialogue by Stan Sakai.
    COTM MC Emeritus
    ---

He was a man who brought death and destruction wherever he went. No, it was not Groo. His was intentional.
    --Caption from Groo the Wanderer #23, script by Mark Evanier.
    COTM MC Emeritus
    ---

And despite all that happens through eight innings, not a soul in the crowd stirs! Truly, this is a captive audience!
    --Not a great quote, but I had to find something to commemorate the Red Sox win! From DC Super-Stars #10, "The Great Super Star Game," script by Bob Rozakis.
    COTM MC Emeritus
    ---

Like Dr Phil, but AWESOME Kirayoshi's Avatar
    On the Fields of Trensimore, when no living creature can speak falsely or fail to answer.

It's been about a month, but I'll err on the side of caution and spoil-text this one.

spoilers:
    "Is that dragon thing behind me again?" - Ord, one moment before being curbstomped by an angry Colossus, 'Astondishing X-Men' #5

"I am not made of steel! Rage, I am made of RAGE!" - The aforementioned angry Colossus, AXM #5.
    end of spoilers
    Intellect and Romance over Brute Force and Cynicism!

ANYONE can win a fight -- when the odds are easy! It's when the going's tough -- when there seems to be no chance -- THAT'S when -- it counts!

Everything going black -- my head -- aching --! Hold on -- I must HOLD ON -- !

It's MOVING! Can't stop now! Last chance! Must keep the momentum -- MORE! Just a little MORE --!

I DID it!
    I'm FREE!
    --From Amazing Spider-Man #33, dialogue by Stan Lee. Just as Peter Parker lifted that huge piece of masonry off his back to defeat the Master Planner, the Red Sox have thrown off the weight of an 86-year-old curse to win a victory that will never be forgotten. Let's Go Red Sox!
    COTM MC Emeritus
    ---

“Except that comics aren't and shouldn't be respectable. The closest they should come to the adult world is as a kind of foul-mouthed, filthy-minded and grubby adolescence, with adolescents of all ages duly sequestered in that teenage bedroom and, between bouts of what teenagers do, thumbing through thin, flimsy funnies instead of damaging their wrists trying to hold this latest over-weighty, overproduced whinge. Ware, after all, is rich and famous, and thanks to this book will doubtless be mobbed by the thousands and thousands of ageing retards for whom comics still float their boat. Which is fine, but I wish he and the rest of them would accept that, in the ecology of culture, comics flourish where they are for a reason, and so he should stop pushing against an open door into an empty room.”
    --A shockingly ignorant and unwarranted piece of slander published by Martin Rawson in the London Sunday Independent. An example of the kind of opinion we should all be trying to change.
    COTM MC Emeritus
    ---

NORM: So-- second date with this guy tonight?
    REINE: Yep. Actually, our first date was with a group... but tonight, it's just the two of us.
    NORM: Hmm. If your current trend holds-- on the third date you'll go by yourself.
    --Michael Jantze, The Norm Magazine #1.
    COTM MC Emeritus
    ---

Women often complain about men, but this is a complaint you rarely hear:

... I thought he was too straight for me ...
    --Jody, the protagonist & narrator of the cover story in Marvel's My Love #14, November 1971, script by Gary Friedrich. She ends up marrying him anyway.

For those who don't know - the word "straight" had a different slang meaning back then. She's saying that he's too old-fashioned, not hip. The moral of this story is that the long-haired free-loving hippies are fun to have a fling with, but they won't commit to you; the short-haired, old-fashioned, straight-laced monogamous guy is the one who loves you.
    --
    Rob Allen

Like Dr Phil, but AWESOME Kirayoshi's Avatar
    On the Fields of Trensimore, when no living creature can speak falsely or fail to answer.

Joss Whedon strikes again!

(Ord is making his escape in a fast-moving alien aircraft)
    Colossus: "No. He doesn't get away."
    Woverine: "You feeling rested up, Petey?"
    Colossus: "I am strong."
    Wolverine: "Then I got just two words for you, bub."
    --Astondishing X-Men #6

Ah, fastball specials. Life is good again...
    Intellect and Romance over Brute Force and Cynicism!

It feels like home.
    --Invisible Kid on being shown the interior of the clubhouse, Legion of Super-Heroes vol. 5 #1.

I've never before posted a quotation from a comic that hasn't been published yet. But I'm just so excited for this new Legion!
    COTM MC Emeritus
    ---

"Rebuilding my earlier Stimuloids with a more solidly mechanical sensory system, thus making them Macrobots was the breakthrough. This will occupy at least a chapter in my memoirs."

Kang the Conqueror
    Avengers 129, part one of the Celestial Modonna.

An amusing incidence of Kang the Conqueror's vanity.
    Last edited by nicnicnic; 12-18-2004 at 08:20 PM.