Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Forgive Friedrich's Debt Aaron Kashtan's Avatar

MIKE VERIFAX: ...and now that you've met "itchy fingers" let's meet the other executives.
    GOODMAN BEAVER: He-- he's fairly unprincipled, eh? Not like most, eh?
    MIKE: Oh sure! Now come meet "twinkle paws," "wander-mitts," "grapple hooks" and "the grabber."
    --From "Organization Man in the Grey Flannel Executive Suite," Harvey Kurtzman's Jungle Book, dialogue by the same
    Aaron Kashtan | Formerly Sir Tim Drake
    Classic Comics Forum Moderator Emeritus
    COTM MC Emeritus
    Brittain Fellowship | UF Comics Studies | Examples of my work
    ---
    "Meanwhile, a puppy that fell down a storm drain on Proxima Centauri was rescued by a trained slith, which unfortunately then ate it. And now, sports."

Dandel. I'm a turtle. My home is on my back. And yet I feel the most real home I'll ever have is the space where our roads merged & traveled along together... for a time.
    --Chunky to a sleeping Dandel, from Goodbye, Chunky Rice by Craig Thompson. This scene brought tears to my eyes.
    COTM MC Emeritus
    ---
    "Meanwhile, a puppy that fell down a storm drain on Proxima Centauri was rescued by a trained slith, which unfortunately then ate it. And now, sports."

I used to post here!

Default And now... Alan Moore Quote-A-Rama!

Tom Strong: Dhalua? Now we're married, I was thinking how nice it would be to bring more intelligent life into this beautiful world. Just think, a companion who could talk to us; the patter of little feet...
    Dhalua Strong: Oh Tom. Always I have wated a Weh-Wah of my own. You make me so happy!
    Tom Strong: Uh.. I was thinking about perfroming innovative brain experiments on a moneky...... but I suppose we could have a baby as well.
    Pillow talk a la Moore, from Tom Strong #1

"They're going. Good. If there's one thing I despise, it's the sound of steak sobbing."
    Dr. Jason Woodrue/The Floronic Man's reaction to Abbey Cable crying, Saga of the Swamp Thing #22

Glory (Wonder Woman analogue): Of all our foes, I think that Hulver Ramik was the most repulsive, with that ring of eyes. Even Prismalo looked good after Ramik. Plus, I didn't like the slavery thing. I mean, it seemed like from the Forties to the Sixties I was getting tied up every month! I mean, was that just me? Or did you guys get that too?
    Roman(Aquaman analogue): Uh, no...
    Another Wonder Woman bonndage joke, but a good one, from Supreme #48

"We gaze continually at the world and it grow dull in our perceptions. Yet seen from another vantage point, as if new, it may still take our breath away."
    My favorite line from Dr. Manhattan's monologue at the end of Watchmen #9

"There. Did you think to kill me? There's no flesh or blood within this cloak to kill. There's only an idea. Ideas are bulletproof."
    V, from V for Vendetta

Dear Editor: I am writing this letter on 1c worth of typewriter paper and using a 5c stamp to mail it. Now if that isn't appreciation, I don't know the meaning of the word!
    --Mike Railsback's letter to Green Lantern #44. Things were cheaper back in 1966. (And people still used typewriters and sent letters by mail!)
    COTM MC Emeritus
    ---

While your comics have beautiful artwork and first-class writing, "Brand-Ego" material looks like it was done in five minutes, and the stories (which one man gets all the credit for, while actually he has a complete staff of writers working for him) are absolute garbage.
    --Well, I guess not everyone liked '60s Marvel comics. From Robert Wilczynski's letter in Flash #161, May 1966. (The context makes it fairly clear that he's referring to Marvel.)
    COTM MC Emeritus
    ---

But simply having a cow tell a tale does not a story (or even a comic) make.
    --I don't know if I agree; a cow could write better than many people who get paid to write comics... From Mark Gruenwald's commentary on Avengers #185-187, appearing on the letters page of Avengers #192.

If you're wondering why I just posted three quotes from letter columns, here's the explanation. I'm currently indexing all the comics I bought at SDCC. When I enter a comic into my spreadsheet, I always look at the letters page to see if there are any letters from noteworthy people. And in the process, I often run across funny or intriguing quotes, like these three.
    COTM MC Emeritus
    ---

The Central Sca-rutinizer Pól Rua's Avatar

One of those quotes which I like to pull out occasionally. It's not especially meaningful, but if you can get those quiet, menacing, low tones, it works a treat...

"Unorthodox. Economic. Revenge."

The Moon Roach, from Cerebus: High Society.

Scorpion: I'm not aiming to lose you, big mouth! I'm just gonna smash you into the middle of next week!
    Spider-Man: Good! There's a T.V. show on then I've been dying to see!
    -The Amazing Spider-Man #29 [10.65]

J. Jonah Jameson: Spider-Man!
    Spider-Man: Now THERE'S a snappy comeback! Well, I don't want to hang around too long -- You're so charming that I may grow to LIKE you -- In which case I'd have to kill myself! So keep smiling, buddy boy!
    -The Amazing Spider-Man #30 [11.65]

Ned Leeds: "Hurry, Spider-Man...You've got to stop the Scorpion! I'll look after Miss Brant...you concentrate on your fight...and watch out for that tail of his!
    Spider-Man: *Bro-THER! First he muscles in on my girl...and now, he's giving me advice on how to protect myself! YEESH!*
    [FILLED WITH BURNING RAGE, THE MASKED-TEEN-AGER ATTEMPTS A RASH, HEADLONG ATTACK...]
    Spider-Man: *It's all the Scorpion's fault! I'll pulverize him!*
    [BUT, ALAS, THE SCORPION HAS OTHER IDEAS!]
    Ned Leeds: I told you to watch out for his tail!
    Spider-Man: Aw, shuddup!
    -The Amazing Spider-Man #29 [10.65]

In my opinion the independent arm of comics publishing is no longer supportable [...] In fact, I will be surprised if comics publishing at all still exists in 5 or 10 years.
    --Martin Wagner, creator of Hepcats, in a 1998 interview with CBR's Beau Yarbrough about why he was cancelling Hepcats (quoted at http://www.nic.com/~augie/pipeline/pcr87.htm).

I hope he kept his promise and was surprised last year... :)
    COTM MC Emeritus
    ---

Say! No wonder Pete likes your hairdo, Gwen! It's more like the way Mary Jane's been wearing hers!
    --A candidate for Tactless Comment of the Year! From Amazing Spider-Man #48, dialogue by Stan the Man.
    COTM MC Emeritus
    ---

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Tim Drake
    --Martin Wagner, creator of Hepcats, in a 1998 interview with CBR's Beau Yarbrough about why he was cancelling Hepcats (quoted at http://www.nic.com/~augie/pipeline/pcr87.htm).

I hope he kept his promise and was surprised last year... :)
    Of course, if he'd actually put out an issue occasionally...
    Christ, do I have to do all the thinking for the entire fucking Internet? - Michael P

HAROLD H. HAROLD: Er, Dracula, sir? Could I speak with you, just for a moment or so? You see, I promised the publisher of this magazine I work for, to interview a real vampire. And you may be the only one who can save my job.
    DRACULA: What care have I of your problems, human? I gave you thanks, and that is more than you should expect. Be thankful I do not slay you for blood. For I may have need of you shortly, and therefore you will be spared.
    HAROLD: Gosh, thanks, Dracula-- sir! Really, thanks!
    --From Tomb of Dracula #38, dialogue by Marv Wolfman.
    COTM MC Emeritus
    ---

Fans defend [The Family Circus] as an endearing depiction of life's sweeter moments, and a reminder of simple Christian values; most of the strip's critics pan it for the same reasons.
    --From the Wikipedia entry on that strip. EDIT: I wonder if anyone else remembers the Don Markstein/rick d flamewar over this issue?
    COTM MC Emeritus
    ---

I seek the reaction of the average man... something you could never be!
    Medusa to Spidey, Amazing Spider-Man #62 (dialogue by Stan Lee). The irony, of course, is that the whole point of Spider-Man is that he's an average man!
    COTM MC Emeritus
    ---

The bee's knees... TheHistorian's Avatar

A confidence woman! Oh! Why didn't I see through her!
    Because yo' hain't got no brains - nevah did have!
    - A tender sisterly moment between Bessie and Pansy... Li'l Abner, 6 JAN 1935