Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Under what circumstances would you allow your favorive X-men to die?

So i hopped over to the dc board after reading countdown. Naturally people seem upset i guess.

So that got me thinking. Everytime a character gets killed off, be it hawkeye or colossus people seem fervent in their thoughts that it sucks, etc. So the question is posed.

Take your favorite few x-men and think under what conditions could i allow this characters to die in a story, and stay dead?

They should all die of old age. :)
    Last edited by The Fury; 04-01-2005 at 08:03 AM.
    X-Poster of the Year 2005
    --- the best there is at what i do ---

Mutant League Winner 2006

I'll go with Crawler...

I'd like it if there a bomb or something in the school that could blow up and kill all the X-Men and childen. If its moved it'll blow up so the X-Men have no way to stop it. Nightcrawler runs and grabs it and straight away teleports as high as he can. A huge explosion goes off in the sky as everyone in the mansion runs out to look... and the last panel of course would have to be Wolverine looking up with a single tear running down his face.
    http://comicsaga.blogspot.com/
    Come visit my blog about all things comics!

Deadpool & Havok forever Neolucifer's Avatar

It depends , sometimes sacrifices and blaze of glory , or just sudden shocking death .

Take Wolverine , i like the character a lot but should he die , i'd like to not see some kind of cliche and corny spectacular death . Something along the lines of a Giant meteor falling to earth , then our hero goes onto it to detonate himelf and save the earth , under irritating tunes of aerosmith ... (er..wait.. :D )

Something like what happened to northstar or even better , a quick yet spectacular enough death , no one , and especially wolvie , would see coming . Feel free to add slow agonizing , everyone crying around him etc etc .. but the less corny it will be , the better .

And most of all dont resurrect him a few months after , have the decency to at least wait 5 years :D . I dont want to go throught something as lame as "death and the return of Superman" again

SO are you guys saying the character has to die in a heroic way? But isnt that what colossus did? Or Psylocke?

Personally i would like to see some real deaths for x-characters, like cancer or a car crash. Thats realism. Not putting them in leather costumes because superhero costumes look "lame"

Born under a wandrin Star Tobias March's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Huzzah!
    SO are you guys saying the character has to die in a heroic way? But isnt that what colossus did? Or Psylocke?

Personally i would like to see some real deaths for x-characters, like cancer or a car crash. Thats realism. Not putting them in leather costumes because superhero costumes look "lame"
    Yes. Wasn't it ridiculous did kill off one character due to cancer - Mar'Vell, but then it turned out he had got the cancer....through exposure to a supervillain.

Personally a random death that would stick, to a character who is essential would be best. Colossus' death was insanely stupid. Northstar's death....okay, would people allow that a minority of people even know who Northstar is? To have Cyclops, Xavier or Banshee (he's one stereotype I would like put to bed....Siryn has some chance) die an entirely normal, almost offhand death would be truly dramatic. Not mystical attacks, no viruses from the future etc.

Personally i would like to see some real deaths for x-characters, like cancer or a car crash. Thats realism.
    Captain Marvel (Mar-Vell) died from cancer. That is the readon he will never ever be ressurected.

Maybe it's time for Marvel to have a death by AIDs. And don't tell me about that crazy 'mutants are immune to AIDs' crap, they shouldn't be, Austen should have been beaten with a pointy stick for coming up with that.
    X-Poster of the Year 2005
    --- the best there is at what i do ---

Mutant League Winner 2006

I wouldn't like that personally... while I feel more situations should be covered like serious illness and that, I turned to comics when I was suffering from cancer for I guess, larger then life characters who could do anything. If I saw one of them dying from cancer it wouldn't fill me with hope. :p
    http://comicsaga.blogspot.com/
    Come visit my blog about all things comics!

My favourite movie character is Darth Vader, and I don't recall ever screaming "Why? WHY? WHY???" at George Lucas.

I'd be happy for any of my favourite comic characters to die if the death was meaningful. Darth Vader becomes Anakin again and dies - meaningful because despite physically dying, he finally found peace and defeated his inner conflict; meaningful because of the message of sacrifice and redemption.

If Magneto or Xavier died in a similar way - in other words, if their death provided closure to their own issues of segregation vs integration - then I would be happy for them to stay dead. Hell, if the whole Xavier vs Magneto dispute died with one of them, and the younger mutants said, "You know what - this Us vs Humans bullshit that those old guys both bought into is completely wrong. Let's find a new path" then I'd be even happier.

That's all I ask: meaning and consequence. A character makes choices according to their beliefs, and faces the consequences of those choices.

Well, I'd like something really heroic, and frankly, I saw one of my favorite characters die: when Phoenix originally committed suicide, it was perhaps the high point of X-men history for me.

Now, with X-men:The End all about killing off the team, it doesn't seem to have as much impact because the death is wholesale, but I think it can satisfy any 'cravings' to see your faves kick the bucket.

Personally, I'd love to see Storm die in a blaze of glory, maybe saving the planet , witnessed not only by the X-men but the whole Marvel U.

Emma Frost during plastic surgery :D

Quote Originally Posted by shadowed
    Emma Frost during plastic surgery :D
    ROTFLMAO!!

Quote Originally Posted by bakla
    ROTFLMAO!!
    a cold bitch's gotta do what a cold bitch's gotta do ;)

It all depends on writing. Colossus, my personal favorite, died in a way that COULD have been noble, but it was so poorly written that it failed.

Using him to end the Legacy Virus, per se, is not a bad idea. The virus had been a scourge to the mutant community for years and significant characters died from it, but it had been around so long, that it was merely a forgettable background threat with no real strong connection to the readers. If they had taken the time to re-introduce the threat of the virus (maybe by introducing a new deadly strain or a widespread outbreak that affected A-list mutants like Cyclops or Rogue) and really invest the readers emotionally into the storyline. Then, there is a stronger pull into the sacrifice that Colossus made.

Instead, they took one issue to quick tie up the loose ends and wipe out character in a way that made him look like it was more of a suicide cure for his own depression than a heroic sacrifice.

That said, I liked the way the X-men "died" during The Twelve storyline, when they were mentally tricked into fighting and killing each other in the danger room in order to determine who the traitor was. I don't need to see them kill each other, but they were cool deaths that were done in response to real emotions. That made it a cool read for me - unlike the rest of that story... :D
    "I read that you were shot six times in the tabloids."

"That's an outright lie! He never came anywhere near my tabloids!"

Cyclops as the last X-Man standing, he goes right after Jean dies. Sorry I'm a fanboy. Something big, kinda like in the Original Dark Phoenix Saga where they both are the last ones standing.