Page 6 of 315 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106 ... LastLast

well i'm not new but io changed my account, i used to be iceman rocks but my computer deleted everything on my computer but i'm back.

Hey guys. I want to start reading X-men but don't want to get any back issues just yet but just want to get the current books. (I can catch up on the internet until I can buy some TPB's). So which should I get? Im thinking:

1. Uncanny X-men
    2.X-men
    3.New-Xmen
    4. Astonishing X-men

So should I get those ones?

Also, is ultimate x-men just the old stories re-told a bit differently?

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    Hey guys. I want to start reading X-men but don't want to get any back issues just yet but just want to get the current books. (I can catch up on the internet until I can buy some TPB's). So which should I get? Im thinking:

1. Uncanny X-men
    2.X-men
    3.New-Xmen
    4. Astonishing X-men

So should I get those ones?

Also, is ultimate x-men just the old stories re-told a bit differently?

Cheers
    Any of those should be good starts. They cover most the X-men and unless you have a choice of character you'd like to follow that is.

Astonshing X-men isn't currently out but I presume you can pick up the first 12 issues up. Many might not recommend X-men at the moment, it is the weakest book, but that is down to personal opinion. Uncanny X-men is good, I think, and is well recommend.

You could also consider 2 new books X-factor, which starts soon and New Excalibur, issue #1 came out last week. Both are team books covering other X-men based characters. Butthis is your choice.
    X-Poster of the Year 2005
    --- the best there is at what i do ---

Mutant League Winner 2006

Okay, thanks. I'll try and get them and see which ones I enjoy. I'd like to hear other peoples opinions on what books to get also! :)

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    Okay, thanks. I'll try and get them and see which ones I enjoy. I'd like to hear other peoples opinions on what books to get also! :)
    I'd definately go with Uncanny, i think it is the most consistent X-title out at the mo.

Astonishing is good but IMO a bit over-rated. The first arc was good but the second fell a bit flat i thought, and didn't make much sense when put into context of X-history. But it's definately worth a look.

X-men is pretty poor at the minute so I wouldn't bother with it.

I'd also recommend the current Deadly Genesis mini-series (tho its helpfull if you've read Giant size X men #1).

And as The Fury said, Excalibur has just started (and i enjoyed it a lot) and X factor is starting soon (which i personally am looking forward to a lot), so you might want to check those out.

Also I'd recommend Cable & Deadpool (some people claim it's not an X-book, which is fair enough, but i think it is), as its consistently funny, with great stories.

Happy Reading!!

If i say he should start reading Ultimate X-Men, are you guys going to hate me?

Well, Gilly, you should.

Good plot, great dialogues, not a lot of continuity for you to catch on. Plus, the best characters of the X-Men mythos are there. You can't go wrong with Ultimate X-Men.

It's like a new set of stories, with a lot of different aproachs to characters and facts. Great stuff, i tell you. : )

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Fi
    If i say he should start reading Ultimate X-Men, are you guys going to hate me?

Well, Gilly, you should.

Good plot, great dialogues, not a lot of continuity for you to catch on. Plus, the best characters of the X-Men mythos are there. You can't go wrong with Ultimate X-Men.

It's like a new set of stories, with a lot of different aproachs to characters and facts. Great stuff, i tell you. : )
    I agree with you H-Fi. That's the only X-book I'm still reading right now. Alright, its the only one I'm paying for. I'm reading the others from my bf's collection.

I'm not new to the X-Men, but I've been away for a while. I've already decided to pick up X-Factor, but I'm wondering what the consensus is on Ultimate X-Men and New Excalibur? I've been seeing mixed reviews of both books. Are they worth picking up?

The Heart is Pure

UXM is the best X-Book around.

I say start with # 60 which starts the arc that just finished with #65 last week... called Magnetic North. This if you wanna just jump on.. but the trades are worth it.

I'm going to take a break on the title since Vaughan is off and Synger isn't coming on right away.

I've been reading Chris Claremont's beginning run of The Uncanny X-men (94-) and I find the writing, especially the dialogue, to be incredibly cheesy. I'm not trying to put down his writing but it's just not for me. I was wondering when the comic gets more modern so I can start reading those issues. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Fortuna Favet Fortibus The Lucky One's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wang
    I'm not trying to put down his writing but it's just not for me. I was wondering when the comic gets more modern so I can start reading those issues.
    UXM #282 and X-Men #4, in 1991. However, that's also when the books started getting bad, so you don't want to start reading then. Uh... let's see, Joe Kelly and Steven Seagle's runs were both modern and pretty good, though I can't remember when they started precisely. Peter David's X-Factor (issues 70-89) was a spinoff book, not the "main" X-teams, but it's probably the best non-Claremont X-book that's been written to date, and more modern (and hilarious) in dialogue... I'd strongly recommend it. Grant Morrison's run on X-Men (retitled "New X-Men") ran from issues 114-154 and was definitely (post)modern- it had great ideas but wasn't always true to the characters; but since it sounds like you're not married to their established characterizations anyway, that probably won't bother you, so check that out. And Ultimate X-Men has varied in quality over the years but has been great recently under Brian K. Vaughan, though he just finished his run with issue 65.

Hope that helps!

-D
    "I love the nostalgic, myself. I hope we never lose some of the things of the past."
    ~Walt Disney

The Impulsive Buy
    Mutant Reviewers From Hell

I have a question: What trades are there that are post- X-cutioner's Song but arent collections of mini-series's (like maddrox) or sequential volumes (ie. ultimate x-men, new x-men, etc).

The only one I can think of is the Age of Apocalypse trades that are coming out. Any more?
    talk hard

Fortuna Favet Fortibus The Lucky One's Avatar

Fatal Attractions
    Dreams' End
    The Origin of Generation X

-D
    "I love the nostalgic, myself. I hope we never lose some of the things of the past."
    ~Walt Disney

The Impulsive Buy
    Mutant Reviewers From Hell

I'm definatley not new to X-men...i'm 20 now and i've been a fan since I was 8 years old...I was just wondering which older X-men TPB's you guys would recommend. I loved Inferno, but I did'n think X-Cutioners song was too hot...any suggestions?

uh...hi.I'm new to this forum and have been trying to figure out what X-book to stick to.I'll admit I'm more of a DC fan but I like some of the X-Men and would like to start a collection.A friend of mine suggested Runaways when I asked him what X-book I should read,but I'd rather hear it from the experts.Will look forward to posting here more often.Thanks