Page 3 of 315 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast
    Fortuna Favet Fortibus The Lucky One's Avatar

His wings aren't exactly ripped off- he's pinned to the wall by Harpoon during the Mutant Massacre, and his pinion feathers are torn out. Then gangrene sets in and his wings are amputated in whatever issues of X-Factor immediately follow the Massacre, and he returns with the metal wings (bleah) as Death in the Fall of the Mutants crossover, around X-Factor #24 or 25.

(BTW, this question would probably be better suited for the "Post your various questions about the X-Men" thread further down the board. Just for future reference.)

-D
    "I love the nostalgic, myself. I hope we never lose some of the things of the past."
    ~Walt Disney

The Impulsive Buy
    Mutant Reviewers From Hell

Default Ok, Going to Barnes & Noble, Which X-Men TPB's should I read (I'm A new comic reader)

Long title. I know, sorry. Which should I start to dig into?

I am thinking a current Uncanny X-Men TPB so I can buy some new issues if I like it. Anyone know what is the newest one?

Then I want to read some classic stuff. Interesting thing that have happened in the past 30's years or so of the X-Men.

Any idea's? Barnes & Noble has TONS of TPB's of marvel, dc, and indy comics..

Pick up all the Essential X-men volumes 1-5. That can get you caught up. No wonder its called Essential. :)

Astonishing X-men and New X-men Acdemy X.

Quote Originally Posted by fishtaco
    Pick up all the Essential X-men volumes 1-5. That can get you caught up. No wonder its called Essential. :)

And what he said too :)

Ok, I can't buy anything as of now (no $ :() but I can get a good start on them, buy reading them there for free ;)

Quote Originally Posted by OxBaker
    Ok, I can't buy anything as of now (no $ :() but I can get a good start on them, buy reading them there for free ;)
    shame on you
    DC League 2007 team Ion Dr Light Faith Animal Man CM3 Guardian Mr Miracle
    Marvel League 2006 champion Exodus Karnilla Living Lightning Talisman Arclight Karma Phantazia

Fortuna Favet Fortibus The Lucky One's Avatar

Current stuff? Lots of good stories, but for the main, core X-Men, not spinoffs, go with X-Men: The End of History, and/or Astonishing X-Men: Gifted. They're by two of the three core X-Men writers right now, and should get you fairly caught up.

For the classic stuff, try either Essential X-Men #1 or 2. 2 has the better stories, but 1 starts you off with the All-New, All-Different team's debut in 1975. If they don't have them, go with either The Dark Phoenix Saga or Days of Future Past (both contained in Essential X-Men #2).

-D
    "I love the nostalgic, myself. I hope we never lose some of the things of the past."
    ~Walt Disney

The Impulsive Buy
    Mutant Reviewers From Hell

Wow. Look what I wrote.

The Essential editions are good. They offer a TON of reprints for a good price. The only problem is that they're in black & white.

BUT...

Barnes & Noble has partnered with Marvel to publish Marvel Masterworks editions in paperback. These little beauties are in full color and only $12.95 each! They don't reprint as much as the Essential editions, but the quality upgrade is well worth it.

They're up to volume 2 now in Uncanny. If fans buy this reprint series, maybe we can look forward to B&N publishing several more volumes so we can all have Claremont's original run sitting on our bookshelves in one GLOOOORRIOUS collection!
    Cayman: "Colostomy bags are great for long movies"
    I'm a bakla for Bakla.
    (It's a disgusting love story. Just humor us, folks.)

Surviving the experience iGotKittyPryde's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Nobs
    Barnes & Noble has partnered with Marvel to publish Marvel Masterworks editions in paperback. These little beauties are in full color and only $12.95 each! They don't reprint as much as the Essential editions, but the quality upgrade is well worth it.

They're up to volume 2 now in Uncanny. If fans buy this reprint series, maybe we can look forward to B&N publishing several more volumes so we can all have Claremont's original run sitting on our bookshelves in one GLOOOORRIOUS collection!
    I totally just saw those the other day... but, I don't know. I mean Giant-Sized is great and all but are the rest of the stories from then worthwhile to pick up for any reason other than "they're early adventures of the All-New All-Different team!"?

If it was Phoenix/Dark Phoenix/Proteus/Days Of Future Past/Brood era stuff, I'd be there in a second... but I dunno about those.

Quote Originally Posted by iGotKittyPryde
    I totally just saw those the other day... but, I don't know. I mean Giant-Sized is great and all but are the rest of the stories from then worthwhile to pick up for any reason other than "they're early adventures of the All-New All-Different team!"?

If it was Phoenix/Dark Phoenix/Proteus/Days Of Future Past/Brood era stuff, I'd be there in a second... but I dunno about those.
    I enjoyed them, there is the Magneto vs X-Men in the Volcano story...which is great!

Ox Baker let me make a couple of other suggestions but be aware these tpbs are a little pricey...

Mutant Genesis, Reprints Adjectiveless X-Men 1-7, and it includes one of the best Magneto stories of all time IMO.

I agree with the others on Astonishing X-Men, and Uncanny X-Men. Essential X-Men is a definite one, and yea I think for the most part the stories there are great. Just to let you know there is a volume 6 coming out later on this year....I would normally reccomend Mutant Massacre on its own but, that is included in the Volume 6 of essential X-Men.

Another one I would reccomend is X-Men Vignettes. What this is when Marvel started a series called Classic X-Men, they reprinted issues but the thing is that at the end of each issue was a brand new back up story that fleshed out the characters even more so...Vignettes collects these Stories, so thats another one I would reccomend.

I would reccomend staying away from the X-Men story called Inferno. Its not a bad story, its one of the best, but its a very complicated story, and would be best read once you read alot of the Essentials and such, since it deals with aspects of the Phoenix Story and a character called Madelyne...

I hope that helps out a bit Ox
    "Then Kill him, child. Prove your superiority--slaughter them as callously, as mercilessly, as they would you. Let them see that you are no better then they. That you can return hate for hate, blow for blow, life for life. What are you waiting for Rachel, Do it! Give them the final victory!"

Magneto to Rachel Summers
    Uncanny X-Men #196

I would also love to know what trade to get next. Right now I have 4 essential books, the first 2 Grant Morrison books, and the first Joss Whedon book, with some random issues also.

Quote Originally Posted by davidboring
    I would also love to know what trade to get next. Right now I have 4 essential books, the first 2 Grant Morrison books, and the first Joss Whedon book, with some random issues also.
    Which of the grant morrisons trade do you have? And which essentials? If you got 1-4 you need to pick up volume 5. And like noted earlier six is coming out later this year!
    "Then Kill him, child. Prove your superiority--slaughter them as callously, as mercilessly, as they would you. Let them see that you are no better then they. That you can return hate for hate, blow for blow, life for life. What are you waiting for Rachel, Do it! Give them the final victory!"

Magneto to Rachel Summers
    Uncanny X-Men #196

I got the 1st 4 essentials, "Imperial", E for Extinction and Gifted, plus some random back issues.

Quote Originally Posted by davidboring
    I got the 1st 4 essentials, "Imperial", E for Extinction and Gifted, plus some random back issues.
    Which back issues?

If you liked Imperial and E is for..., check out Here Comes Tomorrow. :)