Page 224 of 315 FirstFirst ... 124174214220221222223224225226227228234274 ... LastLast
Results 3,346 to 3,360 of 4723
    Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Daesim View Post
    Get a character guide and set aside at least four hours to get caught up. Ignore any continuity that goes back further than 2001, since the writers do as well. Magneto and Mystique never interact in the comics.
    They did at least once.Read UXM#199.To prove to Val Cooper Freedom Force's worthiness to get a pardon and work for her,Cooper sends Mystique and her merry men to capture Magneto.To make a long story short,Magneto ends up surrendering to Mystique and gets taken into custody.

Quote Originally Posted by Daesim View Post
    Get a character guide and set aside at least four hours to get caught up. Ignore any continuity that goes back further than 2001, since the writers do as well. Magneto and Mystique never interact in the comics.
    Thanks for the reply. I can't find any character guides in the Marvel app. I have bought the origins comic but it was a waste of money. There are only 2-3 pages per character which doesn't tell you much.

I'll give my opinion on some of your questions. But first I will like to say that I prefer to read a writer's full well-written, cohesive run with a beginning, middle, and end, over silly status quo changing crossovers that get undone later anyway and aren't particularly well written. My personal favorites are Morrison's New X-Men and Remender's Uncanny X-Force. I recommend reading those, fill in the gaps with Wikipedia, and jump on to Marvel NOW series. Consider the rest below only of you have the interest, time and money. Or I can recommend some other writer runs on X-titles I enjoyed, such as the ongoing David's X-Factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Vovin View Post
    1) I have heard that the Dark Phoenix Saga and Days of Future Past are classics and I am intrigued because of the connecting with the old and the upcoming movies. Are these sagas self-contained or do I need to read something else beforehand?
    I'd suggest to add the Phoenix Saga before reading the Dark Phoenix Saga. It has been a long time since I've read this stuff, but since you seem to be familiar with the characters from other media, I think reading the Phoenix and Dark Phoenix Sagas and Days of Future Past should be accessible by themselves.

The Phoenix Sagas do have some build up in the previous issues, so if you have the time/money you could start with Giant-Sized X-Men #1, Uncanny X-Men #94 (the start of the new X-Men, and start of Claremont's run) and read it all the way up to Days of Future Past (#141-142). That's about 50 issues total. I personally got bored of Claremont's run after DoFP and quit reading shortly after that. But like I said, you can start off with the Phoenix Saga and judge if you like Claremont's writing enough to read the other issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Vovin
    2) I have read a couple of blog and forums posts that list the best X-Men story arcs. Age of Apocalypse seems to be very controversial. Some love it, some hate it. But if I recall correctly Apocalypse was a big deal in the animated series, so I am interested. Can you tell me something about the relevance of this story without too much spoilers?
    AoA is an alternate universe/timeline. So in some sense, it is mostly irrelevant to the ongoings of the main Marvel universe other than the occasional character crossing over.

4) I have bought the first volume of New X-Men because I didn’t understand the Xavier/Genosha/Sentinel/Genocide arc in Astonishing X-Men and like to read the backstory of this event. What do I need to know to understand the New X-Men series?
    I think New X-Men is a pretty good jumping on spot, as one of the goals of it was to attract new readers fresh off the movies. But you should still be aware of the Phoenix/Dark Phoenix sagas (by reading them or watching the 90's animated version), know that Magneto rules over a country of mutants (Genosha, but I don't it is worth reading the story of how this happened), and know that Cyclops had recently been possessed by Apocalypse (again, not really recommended reading on how this happened, in my opinion).

6) Where can I read what happens to Kitty Pryde?
    Uncanny X-Men #522. Also of possible interest to you are UXM #535-538.

8) There are a lot of reference to the Shiar. Is there a story arc that deals with them and is it worth reading? Or should I simply read the wiki? Are these the aliens from the Avengers movie?
    These are different aliens from the Avengers movie. They get introduced in the Phoenix Sagas. Beyond those, I can't recommend any others.

9) Gambit and Rogue were my favourite characters from the TV series but they seem to be no X-Men anymore. Can you recommend some older comics that feature these characters that are readable for a newbie like me?
    Rogue has been the central character recently in the X-Men: Legacy series prior to the recent relaunch. I'm not a big fan of that series so I'll leave it to someone else to chime in on that. Right now, Rogue is a member of the team in Uncanny Avengers, which is currently at its first issue as part of Marvel NOW. A goal of Marvel NOW is to get new readers, so in principle Uncanny Avengers #1 should be accessible, but it does spoil some plot from the recent Avengers vs X-Men crossover.

For stuff older than that I would recommend, I liked Supernova and Blinded by Light (X-Men #188-204), however this requires reading or knowing about the consequences of House of M. These stories also features Gambit, and also lead in to the Messiah Complex crossover that you probably should read (and Second Coming afterward too!).

Gambit currently has a self-named solo series and he is a member of the current Astonishing X-Men team written by Liu. I don't read these so I can't give a recommendation but you ought to give it a look since you're a fan of the character.

10) Which story arcs are worth reading that take place after Astonishing X-Men Vol. 4? I like to catch up with the newest comics.
    The crossovers at least: House of M, Messiah Complex, Second Coming, Schism, and the recent Avengers vs X-Men to get you up to speed on the status quo. After that you can check out each of the Marvel NOW issues of X-Men titles (mostly new #1s) and see where you want to go from there.

You may want to also continue your Astonishing X-Men reading with the next volume written by Warren Ellis.

11) I have heard that House of M is worth reading but I am not sure if this is part of the X-Men canon or not. I have read contradicting stories about this.
    Most of it takes place in an alternate universe/timeline. When the world "resets" back to normal, there is one significant change to the world of the X-Men and is the basis of the string of major crossover stories I listed above.

12) I have never heard of Deadpool and Cable before but I have read these names a lot today. They seem to be very important and are well regarded by fans. Where can I read their origin stories and interesting story arcs that feature them?
    I'll leave this question for someone else, but the current X-title I enjoy the most is Uncanny X-Force and Deadpool is a member of that team (and also one of the places where it characters from AoA crossover). I highly recommend that book. I suggest you read Morrison's New X-Men first though (and you may need to be aware of what happened in House of M).

Since the recommendations above jump all over the place in chronology due to the ordering of the questions, let me lay the mentioned stories in rough chronological order here to summarize:

(70's)
    The Phoenix Saga (Uncanny X-Men)
    (80's)
    The Dark Phoenix Saga (Uncanny X-Men)
    Days of Future Past (Uncanny X-Men)
    (90's)
    Age of Apocalypse (crossover)
    (2000's)
    Morrison's New X-Men
    Whedon's Astonishing X-Men, House of M (mini-series) => Supernova (X-Men) => Blinded by Light (X-Men)
    Messiah Complex (crossover)
    Ellis' Astonishing X-Men
    Uncanny X-Men #522 (Kitty's story)
    Second Coming (crossover)
    start of Remender's Uncanny X-Force
    (2010's)
    Uncanny X-Men #535-538 (Breaking Point, another Kitty story)
    Schism (mini-series)
    Avengers vs X-Men (mini-series)
    start of Marvel NOW series (e.g. All-New X-Men #1, Uncanny Avengers #1)
    Last edited by onoturtle; 11-22-2012 at 12:53 AM.

Justified Ancient of MuMu yvahed's Avatar

1) I have heard that the Dark Phoenix Saga and Days of Future Past are classics and I am intrigued because of the connecting with the old and the upcoming movies. Are these sagas self-contained or do I need to read something else beforehand?
    They are relatively self contained although Chris Claremont does do lots of build up/interweaving between arcs in previous arcs– perhaps you could start with Essential X-Men/ X-Men Masterworks .

2) I have read a couple of blog and forums posts that list the best X-Men story arcs. Age of Apocalypse seems to be very controversial. Some love it, some hate it. But if I recall correctly Apocalypse was a big deal in the animated series, so I am interested. Can you tell me something about the relevance of this story without too much spoilers?
    I think much of the fun of Age of Apocalypse is how different things/ characters have changed. If you have no clue about most of these characters I would suggest you read it at a later stage as it does not affect regular continuity all that much.

4) I have bought the first volume of New X-Men because I didn’t understand the Xavier/Genosha/Sentinel/Genocide arc in Astonishing X-Men and like to read the backstory of this event. What do I need to know to understand the New X-Men series?
    You really don’t need to know too much. Cyclops had previously been merged with Apocalypse. Emma Frost had been a reformed villain who had been mentoring the Generation X kids. Scott and Jean had been married a few years.

6) Where can I read what happens to Kitty Pryde?
    Kitty Pryde returns in the pages of Uncanny X-men circa #520 (I think it’s during Nation X)

8) There are a lot of reference to the Shiar. Is there a story arc that deals with them and is it worth reading? Or should I simply read the wiki? Are these the aliens from the Avengers movie?
    The Shiar were introduced to the X-men early in Chris Claremont’s run prior to (Uncanny) X-Men 100 when Professor X fell in love with the Princess Lilandra (they later married). They are pivotal in the Phoenix Saga, Dark Phoenix Saga and later in the Kree- Shiar War (Operation Galactic Storm). More recently there is X-Men Deadly Genesis which lead to Rise and Fall of the Shiar Empire and War of the Kings. Also End of Greys.

9) Gambit and Rogue were my favourite characters from the TV series but they seem to be no X-Men anymore. Can you recommend some older comics that feature these characters that are readable for a newbie like me?
    Gambit and Rogue have largely been playing in their own corner of the X-universe. They are still X-men. See recent issues/tpbs of X-Men Legacy (Rogue had been the lead character ending #275). Also see tpbs of Peter Milligan’s X- Men run (which run parallel to Whedon’s Astonishing X-Men) and particularly Mike Carey’s X-men (X-Men volume 2 #188-206). Rogue is currently a member of the Uncanny Avengers.

10) Which story arcs are worth reading that take place after Astonishing X-Men Vol. 4? I like to catch up with the newest comics.
    You should read Matt Fraction’s Uncanny X_men starting with # 500.

11) I have heard that House of M is worth reading but I am not sure if this is part of the X-Men canon or not. I have read contradicting stories about this.
    It is relevant to the X-men and the Avengers. Repercussions for the X-men occur in Decimation. Which follows through to Messiah Complex and later Second Coming.
    Last edited by yvahed; 11-22-2012 at 01:16 AM.

Default X-Men and Gambit suggestions please and thank you!

Hello, Im new to the forums. I hope you are doing well!

My question is, what do you consider to be the best/most essential Gambit (as the Protagonist or Main Villain/Ally) Graphic Novels?

And what do you consider to be the best/most essential X-men Graphic Novels?

I've recently gotten into graphic novels, and Im very interested in the X universe. So your suggestions would be very appreciated :)

The first Limited series of Gambit (1997) and x-men origins: gambit were both great. Also new Gambit ongoing by Asmus are amazing too.

"Prettier than you"- Remy Shiver's Avatar

If you don't mind waiting until January, GAMBIT vol 1 (by Asmus) will have the first SEVEN issues for less than $11 on Amazon.

Default Magneto testament, and other great magneto stories

So i read Magneto testament last week, and i have been trying to find a good physical copy of the book. Its rare a comic gets an actual emotional response from me but it was honestly an amazing book, it would be a great read about the holocaust if you scratched off all the x-men references

it stayed true to history , while showing my erik does what he does.

Anyway what other stories focusing on magneto would u guys recommend

im looking for the best of the best. :)
    -this posters ragging on rob leifelds art is not ment as hatred toward the man he is a professional artist and got that way for a reason...however i cannot condone the use of pouches-

I probably like you. Filthy Mutie's Avatar

Grant Morrison's New X-Men run, from starter to finish. Even if he's not present on-panel in the issue, there's an element of his plan and/or the aftermath of his actions present.

It's probably the best and most complete Magneto story.

After that, I'd recommend God Loves, Man Kills.

X-Poster of the Month: December 2012
    X-Poster of the Month: December 2009

The Best There Is At What I Do

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by RohanRiderX View Post
    So i read Magneto testament last week, and i have been trying to find a good physical copy of the book. Its rare a comic gets an actual emotional response from me but it was honestly an amazing book, it would be a great read about the holocaust if you scratched off all the x-men references

it stayed true to history , while showing my erik does what he does.

Anyway what other stories focusing on magneto would u guys recommend

im looking for the best of the best. :)

A Fire in the Night
    I, Magneto

Both in Magneto #0 and Classic X men...the best Claremont origin stories of all time. Google the story names for the actual Classic X Men issue number. They will all be on Amazon.com if the comic store dont have it.

Whatever you do...dont read ant Magneto story by Grant Morrison. Hes just a Magneto hater disguised as a comic writer.
    Last edited by Maddiemark; 11-29-2012 at 02:13 PM.

So someone likes Magneto testament? Weird. The only good comic book about holocaust is Maus.
    I think that MT was in bad taste.
    Last edited by chakal; 11-29-2012 at 04:39 PM.
    Say No to decompressed storytelling!

Bellechere for the win!!!

European Union: XXI Century New USSR
    I am anti-EU

the other post are well in formed but i can't say enough don't put your self through any of morrison's shity comics. if they read fraction's run they won't understand whats going on.
    Last edited by nnelg; 11-29-2012 at 09:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chakal View Post
    So someone likes Magneto testament? Weird. The only good comic book about holocaust is Maus.
    I think that MT was in bad taste.
    I dissagree to point, it Could have been in bad taste if he did things like use his powers or mentioned the mutants. thats what makes it so good its not about magneto the mutant, its about magneto , the holcaust survivor
    -this posters ragging on rob leifelds art is not ment as hatred toward the man he is a professional artist and got that way for a reason...however i cannot condone the use of pouches-

I wonder if Pak ever was in Auschwitz or Birkenau.

Concentration camps are very touchy and serious subject, and should be left alone to more competent people. And I didn't like the story. It felt... cheap? (excuse my choice of words)

If this book made you want to learn more about Auschwitz, good for you, but me, I feel somewhat :/
    Say No to decompressed storytelling!

Bellechere for the win!!!

European Union: XXI Century New USSR
    I am anti-EU

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by chakal View Post
    I wonder if Pak ever was in Auschwitz or Birkenau.

Concentration camps are very touchy and serious subject, and should be left alone to more competent people. And I didn't like the story. It felt... cheap? (excuse my choice of words)

If this book made you want to learn more about Auschwitz, good for you, but me, I feel somewhat :/
    Someitimes you gotta see it to believe it. Of all the garbage comics that has come out since 2007, that story, with all the real facts and 2 years of research that went into making it factual, was considered "cheap". Mind blowing.