Page 175 of 316 FirstFirst ... 75125165171172173174175176177178179185225275 ... LastLast
Results 2,611 to 2,625 of 4729

Quote Originally Posted by Teh m0nk3y View Post
    Too many issues with the quality of the writing going up and down. For me this would be a frustrating experience that would ultimately end up with either skipping arcs or stop reading at all. If you want to catch up to current status it's much better to just start from New X-Men period written by Grant Morrison. Then you could supplement it with Whedon's Astonishing X-men if you wanted. Pick up the House of M event. Skip Brubaker's uncanny run. Mike Carey's X-men run has a better lead in to Messiah Complex. Then Pick up the Messiah Trilogy. Follow it up with Schizm, and then you're ready to jump into the current status. Or just jump into the current line of books.
    Thanks for the tips. sounds a bit overwhelming, but i expected it honestly. this appears to be a near impossible task unless i pick up every cross over related book (regardless if xbook or not).

i think i'll pick up from the onslaught storyline as i never finished it during my active collecting run and then go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by RedDevil7 View Post
    I used to read everything X-Men related many, many years ago but I stopped because I just got so tired of following all the events and crossovers. Now since the DC reboot I've found myself interested in X-Men again and I'm starting to realize that this is going to be difficult.

For some reason I feel the need to read everything that is X-Men related, just like I did in the past, and I need you guys to help me decide what is essential reading out of all the titles.

First of all, right now I don't think I'm going to get wrapped up in the whole AvsX thing, so let's skip everything related to that. There are about 10 X-Men related titles, right? Uncanny, Wolverine&, X-Force, X-Men, Legacy, Hope, New Mutants, X-Factor, Astonishing, and Wolverine solo..that it?

So out of all these titles, which ones are a must read and which ones do I just try and forget about?
    This site is very helpful in figuring out where to jump onboard a particular X-book:
    Crushing Krisis > Where to Start Reading X-Men Comic Books (Right Now!)

My pick for best X-title is Uncanny X-Force, followed by Wolverine & The X-Men and X-Factor (in no particular order). If I had to caution you against one title, it would be X-Men, Vol. 3. If you wanted more info on the current continuity, I'd say check out Uncanny X-Men, Vol. 2 and Generation Hope.

Which series you want to read really depends on what writers/artists you like, your favorite characters, what kind of stories you want to read. I'll give you my opinions of the various series.

Uncanny X-Men, Vol. 2
    This series has been pretty good so far, but not mind-blowing. It's been framed by Marvel as one of the two major X-titles (opposite Wolverine & The X-Men), but really is one of the more mediocre ones. It does have a great cast (Cyclops, Magneto, Emma Frost, Colossus/Juggernaut, Namor, Danger, Magik, Storm, Hope) and the sort of grandiose "epic" feeling that Uncanny really should have, but so far the writing just hasn't done anything for me. It's not bad, I'm not considering dropping it, and it's far from the worst X-book, but it's a little middle-of-the-road. Feels like it has potential it hasn't lived up to yet. Still a new series though. It could happen.

Generation Hope
    The writing and art on this series are very inconsistent. It's had some good stories and others that have left no impression on me. Marvel has an annoying habit of rotating artists these days (probably to save time), and one of the guys on this book is amateurish. The book does provide a good framework for understanding what's going on in the X-Men big-picture, since it's all about Hope... and things seem to be hinging on her.

New Mutants
    I've only read the most recent arc of this series (3-4 issues maybe). It was decent, light, entertaining, and had some exciting/funny/memorable moments but it didn't stick overall. It's written by Abnett & Lanning, and a lot of people love them. I want to read the whole series before I pass judgment.

X-Men, Vol. 3
    I only read one issue of this, and have prematurely judged it. It struck me as a poorly-written attempt to jump of the Twilight/True Blood vampire bandwagon. I reiterate: poorly-written.

Wolverine & The X-Men
    This book has been really fun so far. It's a "young mutants at school" book with classic X-Men hanging around teaching classes and such, but there's still tons of action and mayhem. It's one of my favorite series at the moment. Some people have complained about the cartoonish art, but I like it. It's energetic and fits the tone of the writing. Written by Jason Aaron, who a lot of people love.

Uncanny X-Force
    This may be the best X-title right now. It's hard for me to say. I want to re-read it. It does something I don't generally care for (dark, grim, gritty, action-oriented stories reminiscent of the 1990s), but Rick Remender writes it well enough that it makes me care. Several good artists have worked on this book as well. My only complaint is that the characters of Archangel and Psyclocke are written stoic and it reads a little flat. Wolverine, Fantomex, and even Deadpool are handled well though. Seriously, start at #1 and read this whole series. I think it'll be looked back on as one of the classic X-Men runs one day.

X-Factor
    This is also a really good series, and for the most part it manages to stay out of the crossover madness (except the Messiah trilogy). X-Factor is a detective agency, so there's some film noir influence in addition to the normal mutant soap opera and smash-up battles you'd expect. Peter David, who wrote the series in the early 90s, has been back for a long time. He works well with these B- and C-level characters. I think the fact that they don't excite me that much as heroes makes them more believable as people sometimes. This book also has a weird sense of humor that is refreshing. Read enough issues and you'll catch David re-using a joke or catchy line of dialog every once in a while. It doesn't happen often though, and this is one of the better titles right now.

X-Men Legacy
    This used to be X-Men, Vol. 2, then it was New X-Men. Only read a couple of issues. Can't judge yet.

Astonishing X-Men
    This book has been a mess since Joss Whedon stopped writing, and a really big mess since his successor Warren Ellis left, but it looks like it might be shaping up as of issue #44. BUT... After this story arc, they're changing creative teams AGAIN. Who knows what Marvel's trying to do with this title?

Magneto: Not A Hero (Limited Series)
    I'm enjoying this so far, but it's totally non-essential.

X-Club (Limited Series)
    This follow's the X-Men's science team. It's pretty wacky and fun, which I like.

Wolverine, Vol. 4 / Daken: Dark Wolverine / X-23
    Haven't read these.

Quote Originally Posted by ratbranes View Post
    Thanks for the tips. sounds a bit overwhelming, but i expected it honestly. this appears to be a near impossible task unless i pick up every cross over related book (regardless if xbook or not).

i think i'll pick up from the onslaught storyline as i never finished it during my active collecting run and then go from there.
    It's actually not quite as hard as you'd think. I just jumped back onboard recently, and it didn't take me too long to figure out what was up. If you want to get up to speed on what's happening now, check out the trade paperbacks of Messiah Complex, Messiah War, Second Coming, and Schism. Then just pick out a couple of ongoing titles and start reading. See my last post for recommendations.

If you just want to read the best stories since you've been out of the game, then go read Grant Morrison's New X-Men, Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men, Peter Milligan's X-Force/X-Statix (virtually no familiar characters or lasting effect on continuity, but still a great book), and Rick Remender's Uncanny X-Force (still ongoing).

Quote Originally Posted by yvahed View Post
    Hmm I would read:

X-Men (Vol.2) - Mike Carey's run from X-Men 188 until Messiah Complex
    X-Factor (entire 2nd series #1-50 then #200 up) until where you are now.

Personally I enjoyed last Claremonts UncannyX-men run (#444-474) but know he is not everyone's cup of tea.

Also you seem to be missing Brubaker's run (X-men Deadly Genesis mini series followed by Uncanny X-Men #475-490 or so) but that is only if you like Shiar Space Opera.

Fraction is divisive but I definitely enjoyed aspects of his run - much better than Gillen IMO.
    I would read the Utopia arc because that is 'important'. However I particularly enjoyed Sisterhood and Contagion largely because of the characters he was using.
    Thanks for the input. I've been hooked on X-Factor. I started it since your post, and I'm already up to issue #207. Good stuff.

I intend to check out the rest of your recommendations as well. I'm also reading the classic Claremont stuff, but I have to rest my brain every periodically (that dude's ratio of "words used" to "ideas conveyed" is even higher than mine). I started at Giant Size #1 and have finished the Proteus arc so whenever I decide to get back on the Claremont/Byrne I'll be ready to start the Dark Phoenix saga, which I've always wanted to read. From there I'll keep reading until I get mad at Marvel, and then I'll probably seek more guidance.

Quote Originally Posted by AnalogousGumdropDecoder View Post
    post#2612
    Thanks a lot for the reply. This was very helpful.

I'm wondering whether or not the new UXM and XML are worth picking up. I've been reading WATXM and UXF currently, and I've read UXM til the end. I read the earlier post by Analogous, but I just want to know: Am I missing some necessary part to the xmen, story-wise at least?

My first post! So I really wanna get into Alpha Flight, but not sure which volumes and arcs are the best. Suggestions would be awesome! I know they just finished a mini-series but dunno older stuff would be awesome too!

Is Legacy still going? Is it called "Xmen" again? What are all the current xmen titles? Wolverine and the xmen, Uncanny, ??

Quote Originally Posted by Mikl C View Post
    Is Legacy still going? Is it called "Xmen" again? What are all the current xmen titles? Wolverine and the xmen, Uncanny, ??
    There are two sides of X at the moment, lead by Wolverine & The X -Men and Uncanny, respectively. Each side has three sub books, though one (gen hope) will end its run soon.

Legacy is still going as Legacy! It was extremely Rogue centered from from 220 - 259, but now it focuses on the entire faculty of the new Academy - Rogue, Gambit, Iceman, Rachel Summers, Fenzy, and othera.

X -Men is actually Volume 3 of that title, which began in Fall 2010 in the wake of Second Coming. People haven't been impressed with the writing, but is has had some strong art. It has focused on a mix of away teams with a lot of Cyclops, Storm, and Jubilee. It's a very continuity -light title that you can read pne arc at a time when you have a chance.

On the whole, the "Where to Start Reading" page in my sig gives more details, cast members, and creators for each title on both sides.

Let us know if you have more questions!

Thank you!

Has there been any sort of build up to Avengers vs Xmen? I don't have to read Generation Hope do I?

Quote Originally Posted by Mikl C View Post
    Has there been any sort of build up to Avengers vs Xmen? I don't have to read Generation Hope do I?
    For what it's worth, the prologue TPB shipping in April is solicited to contain: Avengers: The Children's Crusade #7, X-Men: Schism #5, Magneto: Not A Hero #1, X-Men: Second Coming #1, House Of M #8, Avengers: X-Sanction #1 And Material From Point One #1.

That seems like a relatively random haul of issues, but maybe together they tell a coherent story.

I would likely add Generation Hope #12 to that list, just from the perspective of it addressing Hope in the wake of Schism.

Default x-men issues and plots from 2000 till now

This is a huge question...

To understand the x verse from 2000 and till now What are the major story arc should someone follow and issues, one shots, minis ect... are they?

Also Since 2000 till now who have been the major characters in the xverse and what issues and story arcs should you follow

This is quite a big question so thank you for your time

Poster of the Month is so yours.
    VIVA KUSASAN!!! Morrison On Magneto: I made him into a stupid old drug-addicted idiot. CC had done a lot of good work over the years to redeem the character. And I went in and sh*t on all of it.

*Witty User Title Here* linkspirit97's Avatar

I've just read the 'Accopalypse soloution' and I'm a tad confused. What occurred before this with Archangel?