Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default In Your Face Jam - Feb 26, 2014

When it comes to non-super powered female characters, does Marvel have anyone that even comes close to matching Metropolis' best reporter in popularity?

Full article here.

No contest. Millie The Model

These columns get better and better! I'm hoping next week will be "Who Is Marvel's Snapper Carr?"!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    These columns get better and better! I'm hoping next week will be "Who Is Marvel's Snapper Carr?"!!!
    Tough question... because if Marvel's Snapper Carr is Rick Jones, then who the heck is Marvel's Jimmy Olsen? (Agent Coulson?)

Why is it always "Who is Marvel's X/Y/Z?" Why not so many "Who is DC's X/Y/Z?"

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Easily Mary Jane Watson. Her name goes hand in hand with Spiderman. Superman and Lois Lane. Spiderman and Mary Jane.

Was Moira really in that many comics? It seems high. I guess she was always just there.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Easily Mary Jane Watson. Her name goes hand in hand with Spiderman. Superman and Lois Lane. Spiderman and Mary Jane.
    Yeah, and she was even around at the same time as Gwen. It's easy to forget, but for a long time there was a Lois/Lana sort of thing going on with Mary Jane and Gwen.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaced View Post
    A good example of this would be "Who is DC's Gwen Stacy?". Sure, DC has done a "good" job of fridging heroes' girlfriends in recent years, but has any of them had the same emotional resonance—for forty years!—as Gwen?

... with the High Command Lemurion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spaced View Post
    Because in most cases the DC characters came first, and the are often better known outside of comics.
    Anyone who thinks DC is bringing back the Silver Age doesn't know what the Silver Age is.

There is no such word as "persay," it's per se, two words, from the Latin.

Hang on, wasn't Mary Jane also an unlockable playable character in the first Spider-Man Movie game. Does anyone else remember this? I realize it probably just improves MJ's stats. :p

I can't believe so many silly pedantic math equations were necessary to figure out what pretty much everyone knew already.

"Marvel's most popular non-powered female character?" "DURRR, MARY JANE??"

Next up: "Which are DC's two most popular characters, and what Marvel character has had the most solo comics? Only twelve equations covering various media will be necessary to determine these elusive truths!"

No surprise here. Mary Jane definitely has all the qualities and charisma to make her the Marvel equivalent of Lois Lane. She has managed to be a charismatic, compelling character without the aid of superpowers. I think she even one-ups Lois Lane in a few areas with her attitude and bravado. Spider-Island was her finest hour in my opinion. And with the upcoming Amazing relaunch, I think she'll only reinforce this notion. I know Gwen Stacy is catching up, but I think she's going to get killed off in the movies to make way for Mary Jane. And that's what will keep her in the role as Marvel's unofficial Lois Lane.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

X-men Supreme

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    No surprise here. Mary Jane definitely has all the qualities and charisma to make her the Marvel equivalent of Lois Lane. She has managed to be a charismatic, compelling character without the aid of superpowers. I think she even one-ups Lois Lane in a few areas with her attitude and bravado. Spider-Island was her finest hour in my opinion. And with the upcoming Amazing relaunch, I think she'll only reinforce this notion. I know Gwen Stacy is catching up, but I think she's going to get killed off in the movies to make way for Mary Jane. And that's what will keep her in the role as Marvel's unofficial Lois Lane.
    The latest Spider-man issues I read where the last spider-island ones, only because I read that MJ actually did something. They where ok, nothing spectacular. It felt like a story was being told but then... nothing. I read she opened a nightclub, it appeared for a whopping 5-10 pages? Then superior, witch I haven't read, where she appeared for the 1-3 first issues to get publicity and then stepped back so Carlie could take over. Sure I might have missed stuff here, especially if she did it in Superior. The bottom line is that since OMD MJ has done very little. Lois also suffered after the marriage went away, but I hear she's on the rise again. She did it in 2 years. It's been almost 7 years since OMD.

Quote Originally Posted by malachi_888 View Post
    The latest Spider-man issues I read where the last spider-island ones, only because I read that MJ actually did something. They where ok, nothing spectacular. It felt like a story was being told but then... nothing. I read she opened a nightclub, it appeared for a whopping 5-10 pages? Then superior, witch I haven't read, where she appeared for the 1-3 first issues to get publicity and then stepped back so Carlie could take over. Sure I might have missed stuff here, especially if she did it in Superior. The bottom line is that since OMD MJ has done very little. Lois also suffered after the marriage went away, but I hear she's on the rise again. She did it in 2 years. It's been almost 7 years since OMD.
    MJ and Carlie have basically switched places in prominence in more recent issues of Superior (since about #20ish). Without getting into spoilers, the latest issue had MJ demonstrating both resourcefulness and independence as she acted to save family and friends from the Goblin Nation. So, while I agree that she's been underused since OMD, Slott has definitely been trying hard to work her back into the cast in a way that treats her respectfully, so I suspect we'll be seeing a lot more of her into the future (even if maybe Carlie continues to stick around—not really sure on that one…).