Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Duggan's "Nova" Stares Down Beta Ray Bill, Prepares for "Original Sin"

"Nova" writer Gerry Duggan discusses Sam's team-up with Beta Ray Bill and the series' direction as it heads into Marvel's "Original Sin."

Full article here.

That's not Paco Medina's art. It's David Baldeon.

Credit where it's due, good and bad.

Personally, I think this is a step down from the usual team on pencils and colors.
    Currently reading She-Hulk, Deadpool, Swamp Thing, Ms. Marvel

Probation: Ghost Rider, Loki: LoA, Secret Avengers

Looking forward to All-New Ultimates, Flash Gordon and Doctor Mirage.

Now, I haven't read this book...EVER. I haven't read about Nova since he died in the mini series years ago....but what happened to the costume? It looks awful. The motorcycle helmet is so uninspired. Where's the whooshy yellow speed? Nothing about this Nova design looks exciting. I guess it falls in line with their cartoon and will be easier to market in a movie.

Quote Originally Posted by 7Thunders View Post
    Now, I haven't read this book...EVER. I haven't read about Nova since he died in the mini series years ago....but what happened to the costume? It looks awful. The motorcycle helmet is so uninspired. Where's the whooshy yellow speed? Nothing about this Nova design looks exciting. I guess it falls in line with their cartoon and will be easier to market in a movie.
    It's not the design, it's the artist.
    Currently reading She-Hulk, Deadpool, Swamp Thing, Ms. Marvel

Probation: Ghost Rider, Loki: LoA, Secret Avengers

Looking forward to All-New Ultimates, Flash Gordon and Doctor Mirage.

I have really been enjoying Nova a lot lately especially with Duggan now on right now. I can't wait to see what he does with Beta Ray Bill and Original Sin( an event I'm actually looking forward to this year). Also, I can't stress this enough, but I can't believe this series has survived this long and on to issue 20 no less with it being a new character and all the creative changes. Glad to see stick around for a while.

Duggan,

Its not that Rider fans cant identify with Sam..its that we ve been down this road before. Again, i do take it as an insult you consider Rider fans vocal but small. The current sales are well below Riders book. In fact we are only 2 k sales from mirroring the sales on the last issue of Riders volume.

Nothing worse than seeing a character youve invested alot in following through his growth only to see changing winds shove him down to fit a demographic.

I am buying your Sam book, as are many Rider fans( so its probably not great business to rip on some of your customer base) who are open minded or hoping for some answers. Part of me wonders why bother investing in Sam when he could just be disrespectfully cast aside by you guys ( and cast aside just like rich)

You also need ro know Sam is being written a lot more irresponsible than rider ever was...Sam is also much more powerful than Rich was. Basically what Sam is doing is almost incredibly irresponsible and tantamount to writing goofy adventures about a 15 year old running around town with a backpack full of grenades and an AK 47. Hes actually much more exaggerated and the book reads like he is more of a 7 year old.

You lost some points for me on this one. To be fair i have noticed the quality of the book improve since you took over, so its not a great idea to cut or belittle Rider fans at this point. Your the 4 th writer so far to tackle sam , when we were promised some highly planned greatness by all the buffoons involved.

So from the " small " but vocal Rider fans have a good one and say hello to 22k sales next month (one of which regrettably will be mine)

I mean with some of you guys i truly wonder if you have even read the DnA stuff.
    Last edited by THANOSRULES; 02-26-2014 at 02:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CBR News View Post
    I hope I'm not going too far out of my way for this -- but this seems like a chance to address the very small but vocal internet minority of Rich Rider fans that follow each new issue of "Nova" with anger and frustration. I'm sure they enjoyed watching Rider struggle with his responsibilities as Nova while balancing a tumultuous family life, including all the trouble that a kid has while in high school. I bet they enjoyed watching him get better at being Nova over the years, too. Though inexperienced, Sam has the potential to be every bit the hero Rich Rider was -- and he'll get there. But the journey is half the fun.
    *** Troll Alert (I'm saying it up front) ***

That said, can someone explain to me why Nova writers insist on calling out the Rich Rider fans? OK, we're a vocal minority, got it. So just ignore us. Don't babble on with nonsense that proves you never picked up a copy of the book.

Because...if you had picked up a Nova comic in the last 30 years...you'd realize he hasn't been in High School since 1977 (Give or take a year) Nor did he really have a tumultuous family life (annoying little brother not withstanding).

Again, I'm clearly trolling here. I don't read the comic and have no intention too. I just don't understand why he feels the need to call people like me out.

OR if he must why he doesn't just give the obvious response which is "Characters have been replaced before, the original always makes their way back eventually, so just ride it out". I'm a Rich Rider fan but I was also a Dan Ketch fan so I know both sides of this.

I liked Mr Duggan's points regarding Nova's intelligence both in this interview and currently in the ongoing series in that Sam's not a scientist who has all the answers at hand. He's still a teenager who's not the model student and a bit prone to mistakes but will adapt/improve as he gains more experience in his adventures. Nova's already displayed this so far with taking strides to both learn and utlize morse code while aiding a spacecraft back in issue #10. Sure it wasn't perfect (although it was quite funny) but it was a decent effort to becoming a better and more well rounded superhero.

Quote Originally Posted by BrotherUnitNo_4 View Post
    That's not Paco Medina's art. It's David Baldeon.

Credit where it's due, good and bad.

Personally, I think this is a step down from the usual team on pencils and colors.
    Sure it's quite a noticeable shift from Medina but I'm not that put off by Baldeon's art to the same degree that you are BrotherUnitNo_4. Are you still going to skip the next two issues until Medina returns? I guess his fill-in issue on Amazing X-Men #7 is the reason why he had to take a break from Nova?

Quote Originally Posted by Sifighter View Post
    I have really been enjoying Nova a lot lately especially with Duggan now on right now. I can't wait to see what he does with Beta Ray Bill and Original Sin( an event I'm actually looking forward to this year). Also, I can't stress this enough, but I can't believe this series has survived this long and on to issue 20 no less with it being a new character and all the creative changes. Glad to see stick around for a while.
    I am glad to hear that Nova is doing well and stories plotted up to issue #20 are set in place. And as you put it Sifighter, I wouldn't say that I am also surprised that Nova is still staying afloat after 13 issues thus far although I hope that digital sales are also helping to keep this book going strong along with his upcoming part to play in Original Sin and even in New Warriors potentially attracting new readers. Frankly I'm not that interested in New Warriors outside of Nova, but may check it out in tpb. The other characters are not a draw for me to want to read it on a monthly basis.

I have the impression that down the line Rider and the kid will merge Firestorm-style.
    Legato - Frank, Calm Down Your Nerd Rage!

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasC22 View Post
    *** Troll Alert (I'm saying it up front) ***

That said, can someone explain to me why Nova writers insist on calling out the Rich Rider fans? OK, we're a vocal minority, got it. So just ignore us. Don't babble on with nonsense that proves you never picked up a copy of the book.

Because...if you had picked up a Nova comic in the last 30 years...you'd realize he hasn't been in High School since 1977 (Give or take a year) Nor did he really have a tumultuous family life (annoying little brother not withstanding).

Again, I'm clearly trolling here. I don't read the comic and have no intention too. I just don't understand why he feels the need to call people like me out.

OR if he must why he doesn't just give the obvious response which is "Characters have been replaced before, the original always makes their way back eventually, so just ride it out". I'm a Rich Rider fan but I was also a Dan Ketch fan so I know both sides of this.
    I thought this same thing as well. More than just Rider Nova lore, it makes me think they havnt read other comics where this has been done..it rarely has ever been done without huge amounts of fan bitching.

Personally, i do not know if its ever been done when a character who was so recently re invented. The brush strokes were still wet on the great run of DnA and Giffen on Rider..and that adds to fan frustration.

..as for why they didnt give that response..it is a legit possibility they will never bring back Rider..it also seems they may not want any confusion in Sam' s absorbtion into the marvel u.

Clearly someone like peter parker fits into that catagory where you know he'll be back..rider? Not so fast...he could easily be Genis'd forevermore.

Anyways how long is it now for Rich 4 years? Its been almost 2 years now since quill reappeared and still no cancerverse explanation.
    Last edited by THANOSRULES; 02-26-2014 at 06:06 PM.

Sam has the potential to be every bit the hero Rich Rider was -- and he'll get there. But the journey is half the fun. -Gerry Duggan

that's never ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever , ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever , ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever , ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever , ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever , ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever , ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever , ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever , ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever , ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever..........going to happen.
    Last edited by Trevel8182; 02-26-2014 at 11:21 PM.

Double post srry
    Last edited by Trevel8182; 02-26-2014 at 07:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by THANOSRULES View Post
    Duggan,

Its not that Rider fans cant identify with Sam..its that we ve been down this road before. Again, i do take it as an insult you consider Rider fans vocal but small. The current sales are well below Riders book. In fact we are only 2 k sales from mirroring the sales on the last issue of Riders volume.

Nothing worse than seeing a character youve invested alot in following through his growth only to see changing winds shove him down to fit a demographic.

I am buying your Sam book, as are many Rider fans( so its probably not great business to rip on some of your customer base) who are open minded or hoping for some answers. Part of me wonders why bother investing in Sam when he could just be disrespectfully cast aside by you guys ( and cast aside just like rich)

You also need ro know Sam is being written a lot more irresponsible than rider ever was...Sam is also much more powerful than Rich was. Basically what Sam is doing is almost incredibly irresponsible and tantamount to writing goofy adventures about a 15 year old running around town with a backpack full of grenades and an AK 47. Hes actually much more exaggerated and the book reads like he is more of a 7 year old.

You lost some points for me on this one. To be fair i have noticed the quality of the book improve since you took over, so its not a great idea to cut or belittle Rider fans at this point. Your the 4 th writer so far to tackle sam , when we were promised some highly planned greatness by all the buffoons involved.

So from the " small " but vocal Rider fans have a good one and say hello to 22k sales next month (one of which regrettably will be mine)

I mean with some of you guys i truly wonder if you have even read the DnA stuff.
    I just asked Bendis about Cancerverse answers yesterday read for yourself, I don't really understand what he meant, maybe you can shed some light for me?
    http://brianmichaelbendis.tumblr.com...l-original-sin

On Sam vs Rich power level. They have been so wishy wahsy with how powerful a Nova Centurion is through out the years that I just apply the base knowledge that the super advanced intergalactic alien marine corps top operatives should be more powerful then Tony Stark technology which is centuries behind. I mean back in the day Rich couldn't stop a truck with his super strength and then in flash backs I've seen him juggle cars and then Sam Alexander should not be more powerful then the guy who had the power level of the then Nova Prime Rhomann Dey so looking at the Nova Centurion can lift 20 tons thing on Google is bull because back in the day he couldn't do that and in flashbacks he's much stronger then that so I just assume the that he didn't know he was that actually that strong like how he didn't know how to use his blasters back in the old stories and that Sam knows he's that strong and has blasters because he had the training Rich didn't get(And yet Rich was more responsible and a better Nova?) and over the years the Nova Force has gotten more and more vital to Nova back in the day he needed that little glass window to breath in space and now he doesn't same goes for the helmet in general most the things the helmet did back in the day have been given to Nova Force now he doesn't need the helmet for coms or recordings etc. Rich use to wear his costume underneath his clothing and he still does some times but now he can summon at will as an energy construct. If you look at other characters like Spider-Man it took decades for the writers to finally decide how strong he actually was and now in All New X-Men young Iceman can do things are Bobby could never do until recent X-Men comics. Also Rich doesn't have that stupid weakness Sam has where he can be defeated by a super magnet.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevel8182 View Post
    I just asked Bendis about Cancerverse answers yesterday read for yourself, I don't really understand what he meant, maybe you can shed some light for me?
    http://brianmichaelbendis.tumblr.com...l-original-sin

On Sam vs Rich power level. They have been so wishy wahsy with how powerful a Nova Centurion is through out the years that I just apply the base knowledge that the super advanced intergalactic alien marine corps top operatives should be more powerful then Tony Stark technology which is centuries behind. I mean back in the day Rich couldn't stop a truck with his super strength and then in flash backs I've seen him juggle cars and then Sam Alexander should not be more powerful then the guy who had the power level of the then Nova Prime Rhomann Dey so looking at the Nova Centurion can lift 20 tons thing on Google is bull because back in the day he couldn't do that and in flashbacks he's much stronger then that so I just assume the that he didn't know he was that actually that strong like how he didn't know how to use his blasters back in the old stories and that Sam knows he's that strong and has blasters because he had the training Rich didn't get(And yet Rich was more responsible and a better Nova?) and over the years the Nova Force has gotten more and more vital to Nova back in the day he needed that little glass window to breath in space and now he doesn't same goes for the helmet in general most the things the helmet did back in the day have been given to Nova Force now he doesn't need the helmet for coms or recordings etc. Rich use to wear his costume underneath his clothing and he still does some times but now he can summon at will as an energy construct. If you look at other characters like Spider-Man it took decades for the writers to finally decide how strong he actually was and now in All New X-Men young Iceman can do things are Bobby could never do until recent X-Men comics. Also Rich doesn't have that stupid weakness Sam has where he can be defeated by a super magnet.
    Yeah i dont know what bendis means..its just been too long on this one for high hopes.

I dont remember rich having any powers but flight, low superhuman strength and invulnerability for most of volume 1.

They got more complicated in new warriors when he started doing gravometric stuff. Your right they did have differing levels. Rich got promoted over the years though..so he was given more and more power ( or sometimes taken away) even his levels as prime were a bit up and down.

Im still not sure where sam gets this power from..its different than rich and maybe a different nova force.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    I have the impression that down the line Rider and the kid will merge Firestorm-style.
    So Rider would be serving as WorldMind, or rather RichMind for Sam?