Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Ant-agonist Now: Casting Villains for Marvel's "Ant-Man"

With his solo film on the horizon, CBR looks at the mighty menaces faced by the diminutive hero and speculate on who might appear in Edgar Wright's "Ant-Man."

Full article here.

I thought they already cast Michael Douglas as the villain.

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Tiger View Post
    I thought they already cast Michael Douglas as the villain.
    He plays Hank Pym. See the bottom entry.

I was thinking someone'd say Hank, but, to me and to many, he's a hero. Even with all the bad done in 616, he still does a lot of good, tries to make up for the bad, learn from mistakes.

A smart man, a caring man, a good man.

I don't know what Ultimate Hank would be like, but from what I've experienced, like many other characters, he has his good, he has his bad, with each sometimes better, or worse, than the other.

But, even with early Yellowjacket, I would never view Hank Pym as a villain. Same applies to Tony Stark, or Bruce Banner, even an assassin like Elektra, or Echo.

On a separate matter, I really can't think of many a villain who'd work in film, when it comes specifically to Ant-Mans' rogues' gallery.

I mean, maybe Scott has more that work, at least, I remember his debut foe as one that'd work for the screen. Could look to him, could revamp some of Hanks'.

The Scarlet Beetle really doesn't seem like one that'd work, but, if you make him like the Beetle, with some of the original origin, maybe that'd be good.

All those villains sound really colorful, actually. Porcupine, The Black Knight and Whirlwind are all great 60s villains. If they do some Hank Pym flashbacks, maybe like Watchmen they can show him fighting a bunch of retro baddies.

Pixar Rocket Raccoon!!! Jaded Devil's Avatar

A lot of people are thinking Evangaline Lilly will be some variation of Janet/the Wasp, but what if she's actually Rita DeMara/Yellowjacket? A lot of these films work better when the villain is a mirror image of the hero (i.e. Red Skull as a Super-Soldier, or using Stane/Iron Monger as Iron Man's first villain), so a shrinking villain would make sense for a shrinking hero. And if they want to leave Pym as a mentor type...using the Yellowjacket identity for a villainous role wouldn't be a bad way to go.
    There's no sense in nonsense when the heat's hot.

Good lord. I can't believe that one of the shittiest characters in comic book history is getting his own movie. And he's got villains to fight? this Atom wannabe?? ugh

The Alpha and The Omega Godlike13's Avatar

Since when is Hank the bad guy. Didn't Wright already say they're gonna team up.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Since when is Hank the bad guy. Didn't Wright already say they're gonna team up.
    I think he's going to have an antagonistic relationship with Lang from my understanding. I don't know that he's outright a villain.

Chaotically Neutral Monty_Cristo's Avatar

the rumored villain was 'Castillo.' he's a Fidel Castro-type political figure created entirely for the film. it makes sense that Pym might have run afoul of some kind of communist bad guy; given Douglas' casting. if he's going to be of similar age to Pym, i'd suggest Crossfire as Castillo's right-hand-man/enforcer. they used Crossfire as the villain in the Earth's Mightiest animated version of "To Steal an Ant-Man." and there's a slight link since (in the comics) Scott Lang's first adversary was Crossfire's older cousin; Daren Agonistes Cross CEO of C.T.E/a rival of Stark Industries. anyways, i could see Clifton Collins jr (already rumored to be a villain) as Crossfire; using his marksmanship and mechanical eye to target either size-changer. i don't think Wright is planning on using any 'colorful' villains or Egghead types.

p.s. in the books, Crossfire (most associated with Hawkeye or Moon Knight) is a rogue former C.I.A agent who decides to sort of unionize the villain community and proactively dispatch superfolk. he's probably best known for putting a price on Hawkeye's hand.

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/...___page_8b.jpg

http://www.cliftoncollinsjr.com/news.../clifton16.jpg
    Last edited by Monty_Cristo; 02-25-2014 at 03:33 PM.
    60% percent of the time, Ant-Man beats Doom every time

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    yes. yes he did. people are posting on bad information. there was an article that mistakenly labeled Douglas as the villain of the piece. i'm pretty sure that they added a correction.

Quote Originally Posted by JackSmitten View Post
    Good lord. I can't believe that one of the shittiest characters in comic book history is getting his own movie. And he's got villains to fight? this Atom wannabe?? ugh

eagypos. mycbsactybbyds.

Atlas or Crossfire seem a lot more likely then any of these people.

I'd probably personally go for MODOK, even if he isn't really an Ant-man villain per say, he is a major villain who would fit the "weird science" nature of Pym and be harder to introduce with a straight face in Iron man or Cap where he is more normally associated.
    Current Ongoing Pull List

She Hulk . Ms Marvel . Daredevil . Hawkeye

Given the Scott Lang storyline and the corporate espionage angle that Wright seems to be favoring, the villain could just be a version of Darren Cross (from Marvel Premiere 47-48). That likely isn't going to be enough to satisfy the bad guy quotient for a summer film though. If they were going to go with a flashy villain, I'd like to see Whirlwind (even though he's more of a Giant-Man villain).

What'll be interesting is how Marvel/Wright explains Pym's absence from Phase I & II so far. Choosing an actor as old as Michael Douglas could set up a Cold War (circa late 1970's / early 1980's) backstory where Pym is spying for either SHIELD or the government as Ant-Man, and is then caught / detained and out of action for years. It'll also be cool to see how Marvel links in Pym and Lang into the broader Marvel universe; SHIELD always appears to be the device used to do that. Really interested to see if Whedon references some of Ultron's origin to work done by Pym and leveraged by Stark. . .