Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Allison Types - Feb 24, 2014

Allison Baker explains why the fact that her daughter has no real interest in Wonder Woman is a problem which needs to be addressed.

Full article here.

i don't know why a wonder woman movie is so hard to make. clash of the titans in new york. done!

seriously, movies with strong women heroines always do well. forget the hunger games, remember terminator 2? aliens?

They LAUGHED at my theory SteveGus's Avatar

Does DC currently have any comic books that ten year old girls would be interested in? DC seriously needs to lighten up across the board ASAP.
    Superhero comic books only become art to the extent that their banal, unrealistic fantasy and garish styles go too far and become interesting. Attempts to ground them in reality can only ruin them.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveGus View Post
    Does DC currently have any comic books that ten year old girls would be interested in? DC seriously needs to lighten up across the board ASAP.
    They DON'T, but luckily you can get all the classic stuff in reprints, so my daughter is having a great time reading the DC silver age classics as though they were new. I mean, who cares if it's new?

I can understand wanting to share with your child the things you enjoyed as a child. I tried my son on comics and Star Wars and he's not interested. He has his own interests. That's as it should be.

Then I read Allison's paragraph of parroted, undigested academic feminism and I stopped reading.

Quote Originally Posted by Jude View Post
    Then I read Allison's paragraph of parroted, undigested academic feminism and I stopped reading.
    Well, as long as you gave it a chance.
    A true friend stabs you in the front. ~ Oscar Wilde

Default Just update the original

Quote Originally Posted by percane View Post
    i don't know why a wonder woman movie is so hard to make. clash of the titans in new york. done!

seriously, movies with strong women heroines always do well. forget the hunger games, remember terminator 2? aliens?
    How about this: Just use the very first WW TV ep as a template for the movie. Take out the hokier/dated parts of the story and update it for relevance, done.

The problem here is much larger than Wonder Woman and has nothing to do with whatever categories people fall in to. I don't think she will find much on TV, or even the big screen, along those lines with that kind of message that can be appreciated by kids (of any gender) these days, never mind Wonder Woman specifically. I have a young son and I do not feel the same role models exist as when I was his age. People our age do not want superheroes to speak to any sort if idealistic notions kids can latch on to, we want them to be flawed and edgy and adult. Kids these days will have other fictional stuff to worship.

Tiny Titans is coming back soon, and DC revived the Teen Titans Go comic back in December thanks to the success of the animated series of the same name.

Their usual Cartoon books in Looney Tunes and Scooby Doo.

Also Tiny Titans are making a comeback as well, but other than that, none what so ever for 10 year old girls.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf_Leader View Post
    The problem here is much larger than Wonder Woman and has nothing to do with whatever categories people fall in to. I don't think she will find much on TV, or even the big screen, along those lines with that kind of message that can be appreciated by kids (of any gender) these days, never mind Wonder Woman specifically. I have a young son and I do not feel the same role models exist as when I was his age. People our age do not want superheroes to speak to any sort if idealistic notions kids can latch on to, we want them to be flawed and edgy and adult. Kids these days will have other fictional stuff to worship.
    There's so much here to unpack that you are exactly right about, but the one that maddens me most is this ugly reality that adults have seized control of comic books and get irritated when they're aimed at kids. It's a self-fulfilling prophesy when you only make comics to appeal to 40-something males; only 40-something males will read the books.

The Rocket Raccoon thing misses the point entirely. That said, I believe we should have seen a Wonder Woman solo film a long time ago.
    "Perfection... sometimes it's our worst enemy. I tried to be perfect once... decided to just try to be better. Found a good way to start that... is by accepting who you are."

Quote Originally Posted by Sillia View Post
    Tiny Titans is coming back soon, and DC revived the Teen Titans Go comic back in December thanks to the success of the animated series of the same name.
    And comedy books like the new Teen Titans Go are funny-- but where are the books an 11-year-old can read that have serialized stories played straight? It's not the mainline DC universe, where Starfire (to pick one) has been re-invented as an alien who literally exists for the sexual entertainment of the male characters. It's just weird how angry and sad mainline DC seems to have gotten, and I'd object less if they weren't completely giving up on younger readers.

I really hope Brian Azarello and Cliff Chiang's Wonder Woman would become the basis for any Wonder Woman in any movie. But why I think DC has difficulty with developing Wonder Woman in film is tied to the same reason Marvel won't use magical characters. Wonder Woman is an Amazonian tied to a mythology of Gods. And that doesn't fit with Hollywoods obsession with "real world" Superhero movies. Mandarin is no longer "magic". The writers of Thor rationalized it's magic as being magic relative to us and not as it is in the comics. And I think DC is trying to pull off that same stunt off.

Quote Originally Posted by talo1 View Post
    I really hope Brian Azarello and Cliff Chiang's Wonder Woman would become the basis for any Wonder Woman in any movie. But why I think DC has difficulty with developing Wonder Woman in film is tied to the same reason Marvel won't use magical characters. Wonder Woman is an Amazonian tied to a mythology of Gods. And that doesn't fit with Hollywoods obsession with "real world" Superhero movies. Mandarin is no longer "magic". The writers of Thor rationalized it's magic as being magic relative to us and not as it is in the comics. And I think DC is trying to pull off that same stunt off.
    again, just make a modern clash of the titans with wonder woman instead of perseus. the sam worthington movies weren't that good, but they made money. the whole greek mythology makes it EASY. rather than worrying about whether or not she's a woman hero, just make her a HERO. that was what made Ripley and Sarah Connor so iconic: they were treated as heroes first, women second.