Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default REVIEW: New Warriors, #1

Christopher Yost and Marcus To do their best to introduce old characters to a new audience in their "New Warriors" #1.

Full review here.

Would've preferred more of the Original New Warriors or at least an explanation on where they are (i guess a bunch died but still).
    Spider Guy doesnt seem like a good match for the group.
    Too many #1s lately that read like a preview from the internet not a full story

a bit rough. i agree though that this is not a powerful stand alone issue, it will read better as a trade once the fist arc is over. not bad however.
    Comic Book Deaths 2012
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7SvM6adTeY

Bring back Ultimate DAZZLER!!

While I didn't think it was bad, I didn't think it was good either. I'm not THAT invested in the characters that I will give it another chance. Not with other new titles that I have found to be so much better like Punisher and She-Hulk just to name a couple. I'd have given it a 2/5.
    Buy Green Arrow!!!!!

Why is Kaine there?

Quote Originally Posted by NinjaZilla View Post
    Would've preferred more of the Original New Warriors or at least an explanation on where they are (i guess a bunch died but still).
    Spider Guy doesnt seem like a good match for the group.
    Too many #1s lately that read like a preview from the internet not a full story
    Bervoot wouldn't let Yost use Namorita. Dwayne is still dead. Firestar is in X-men because of aaron

Kaine is in because Ben was part of the new Warriors briefly

I'm sorry I stopped taking CBR reviewers seriously when Age of Ultron and Avengers Arena got good reviews

There has been already a well-advanced discussion of the comic issue going on that you may want to check out: http://forums.comicbookresources.com...)-1-*Spoilers*

Personally, I was already enthralled by the bits that Yost and Marcus To have let out here and there in podcast, Twitter and several interviews, so I'm not a fair judge. Many have commented this particular first issue lacks certain "hit" to grab readers and that is something I could perhaps agree. Nevertheless, I'm way too excited by what I already know and suspect about future issues to let that be a hinder. Let's see if issues 2 & 3 pack the punch that everyone is waiting before casting it out, I suggest - after all, the former is merely a little more than a week away on March 5 and the latter in exactly 30 days on April 5. [5 and 5].

Finally, let me quote myself from the other thread:

In other subject, a friend from "Zona Negativa" has commented that a second major villain has surreptitiously been introduced within these pages. Someone who is not the High Evolutionary (http://www.zonanegativa.com/exploran...comment-701883). He says he spotted this by having read a lot of Yost's work.

I revised the issue again, but didn't find anything of the sort. Do any of you might have a clue? Or do you think he may playing us a trick? However, I will add another thing that make me suspect he is not in the wrong or joking: I didn't see any Annabelle Adams either and yet...

https://twitter.com/yost/status/435109192228036608

Is Yost adding more things like that? Is he preparing a supreme mind twisting revelation? Personally, it would't surprise me if he does.

Quote Originally Posted by Enemy post View Post
    Why is Kaine there?
    I suppose the threat will take him to act together with the rest of the team, but why would he remain after that is a question we have yet to see answered. I venture to guess it will be a combination of the threat still looming over; legal issues (as far as U.S. authorities are concerned, he is still a wanton criminal that must be brought in to face charges) and the advantage that staying in Eastern Europe with the New Warriors provides in that regard; to please Aracely's eagerness to join a superhero group because he cares about her and knows full well he is lost if he goes completely alone (Yost has talked about it); to continue to protect Aracely from all the mysterious Aztec-mythology-related-people that are trying to kill her; and perhaps, just perhaps, because he will slowly start developing an affection for those "losers", even though he may not ever admit it.
    Last edited by MarioHerald; 02-24-2014 at 12:33 PM.

New Warrior emeritus

Some quick thoughts:
    Justice and Speedball are, after Nova, the two most beloved New Warriors, so we can hardly claim that there isn't good representation from the classics. Certainly, as the series moves along we're bound to run into a few more old faces (or helmets!).

As for Kaine, I'm stoked to see another Scarlet Spider back on the New Warriors, and after so much build-up of Aracely in the pages of his solo title, it'll be interesting to see the Spider/Hummingbird dynamic play out here.

The return of "a" Namora is a nice touch as well; wonder what her connection to Namorita is?

But some other comments on Warriors, living and dead:
    WHAT HAPPENED TO RICHARD RIDER and why is Star-Lord alive, but not him?
    Night Thrasher I's body is resting in suspended animation, as of the previous volume. Wonder if this'll get picked up on.
    Namorita is, unequivocally, alive. I hope Yost realises this. She (well, a time-displaced version of her) was brought into the 616-verse back in the Rich Rider Nova series. Seriously, though: she's as much here as Jean Grey is, and yet no one's done anything with it yet!
    Darkhawk was in Avengers Arena; let's hope he shows up!
    Turbo and the Loners in general would be fun to have as guest stars!

Quote Originally Posted by thepowell View Post
    Namorita is, unequivocally, alive. I hope Yost realises this. She (well, a time-displaced version of her) was brought into the 616-verse back in
    he asked for her. Editorial lolnoped him

If they couldn't use Namorita couldn't they at least come up with a better name for this Namorita-ish member? I'm confident her code name of 'Water Snake' is not going to catch on. At all. Ever. I love the character design (mostly because it's similar to the Darick Robertson Kymera/Namorita) but the name is terrible.

I want this title do well but it's stumbled so often.

Quote Originally Posted by West View Post
    I'm sorry I stopped taking CBR reviewers seriously when Age of Ultron and Avengers Arena got good reviews
    Yeah. I sometimes wonder whether they're allowed to give below four stars, but I guess the answer is yes as long as it's not a Bendis issue/something else Marvel wants to push. NW1 was so much better than so many Bendis issues or "event" books...

Quote Originally Posted by I-Ching View Post
    If they couldn't use Namorita couldn't they at least come up with a better name for this Namorita-ish member? I'm confident her code name of 'Water Snake' is not going to catch on. At all. Ever. I love the character design (mostly because it's similar to the Darick Robertson Kymera/Namorita) but the name is terrible.

I want this title do well but it's stumbled so often.
    I do agree with you on that name...not quite appealing as a heroine's name.

Likewise, I am (still) very disappointed that Ultra Girl or at least Cloud 9 isn't on the team or some of the other Initiative kids. Sun Girl is ok to decent. Watersnake...ok . I have no interest in Scarlet Spider or his sidekick, but I am at least willing to give them a shot. Still...would have really liked to have seen Ultra Girl though. :(

I'd never even heard of the New Warriors before but am reading Nova so thought I'd give it a try. I liked it and have added it to my pulllist. My fave character so far is the one that kept making warrior puns. Think it was Speedball (dont have comic at hand)

Quote Originally Posted by motteditor View Post
    Yeah. I sometimes wonder whether they're allowed to give below four stars, but I guess the answer is yes as long as it's not a Bendis issue/something else Marvel wants to push. NW1 was so much better than so many Bendis issues or "event" books...
    Or bendis event books :hulos