Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default PREVIEW: Chew, #40

"FAMILY RECIPES," Conclusion
    This is how you kill the Vampire...

Full article here.

This is the last CHEW issue i'm getting. Been making some cuts i my pull list and CHEW isn't good enough anymore. I haven't really enjoyed it for the last 10 issues or something. If you ask me Layman didn't put all his efforts since he got a Batman book at DC, and it's showing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack00 View Post
    This is the last CHEW issue i'm getting. Been making some cuts i my pull list and CHEW isn't good enough anymore. I haven't really enjoyed it for the last 10 issues or something. If you ask me Layman didn't put all his efforts since he got a Batman book at DC, and it's showing.
    You must be high.

This is the last CHEW issue i'm getting. Been making some cuts i my pull list and CHEW isn't good enough anymore. I haven't really enjoyed it for the last 10 issues or something.
    To each his own I guess. I started reading Chew last year and caught up to the present issue, and I think the last ten issues have been probably the best of the series. Tony's family has been developed significantly and the book feels more personal and goal-driven, while still delivering the trademark Chew humor and action. I'd say it's the most consistently good comic out there over the course of its run.
    Saga, Private Eye, Chew, Umbral, Deadly Class, Pretty Deadly

She-Hulk, Ghost Rider, Loki, Moon Knight, Iron Fist, Daredevil, Punisher, X-Factor

Quote Originally Posted by El Sombrero View Post
    To each his own I guess. I started reading Chew last year and caught up to the present issue, and I think the last ten issues have been probably the best of the series. Tony's family has been developed significantly and the book feels more personal and goal-driven, while still delivering the trademark Chew humor and action. I'd say it's the most consistently good comic out there over the course of its run.
    Agreed. Tony being a bad ass in the arc prior to this one was fantastic, and I love that Toni is still able to stick around in some form.

If you ask me Layman didn't put all his efforts since he got a Batman book at DC, and it's showing.
    I thought it turned out that Layman WASN'T going to end up doing eternal now?? or is this wrong? Either way, I love CHEW.

Quote Originally Posted by tfranzone View Post
    I thought it turned out that Layman WASN'T going to end up doing eternal now?? or is this wrong? Either way, I love CHEW.
    I'm not talking about Batman Eternal...

Quote Originally Posted by El Sombrero View Post
    That's probably the thing, not enough Tony and John and too many other characters that I don't give a crap about.

I love this book. It has a strong vision and direction, I feel like we are heading toward the conclusion with issue #60 that we've always been promised. More things are being revealed and a very clear story is being told. Unlike some other books I've read which just create mysteries to meander on and on without sufficient payoff or answers, this book is really hitting it for me.

Definitely in the top 3 of my pull and a strong contender for my favorite comic. Although I think Saga has the edge there...
    PULL: Chew, Walking Dead, Saga, Batman, Lil' Gotham, Bedlam, Hellboy in Hell, Jupiter's Legacy, East of West, The Wake, Sex, Trillium, Miracleman, Sandman Overture, Rocket Girl, Sex Criminals

Another great Chew issue as usual. Seemed to go by pretty quickly, but it's always a treat to see Guillory drawing the crew tripping balls. It definitely seems like Layman is ready to go full speed ahead towards the finish line, and I think it's impressive that this series has managed to not only maintain, but clearly build momentum over its 40 issue run thus far.
    Saga, Private Eye, Chew, Umbral, Deadly Class, Pretty Deadly

She-Hulk, Ghost Rider, Loki, Moon Knight, Iron Fist, Daredevil, Punisher, X-Factor

The Older Waiter Brave Sir Robbin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by themightylayman View Post
    You must be high.
    Don't take it personally. Creators who get on here and get angry aren't respecting the fans' right to have opinions.

Most people who get involved with this book have a life changing experience. I introduced this to my 13 year old son and you made him such a huge fan and he actually uses Chew for examples in his literature class school papers. He gets good grades and over the year has introduced his teacher to Tony and the gang and Courtney Crumrin as important literary figures. I want to go BI and have a relationship with Colby.
    Last edited by Brave Sir Robbin; 02-27-2014 at 08:37 AM.
    Current Favorites: The Goon, Batgirl, Chew, Alex + Ada,The Sixth Gun, Saga, Diskordia, Think Tank, Archie, Rachel Rising, Red Sonja, X, Wonder Woman, Powerpuff Girls, Ms. Marvel