Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default In Your Face Jam - Feb 19, 2014

Brett analyzes the "Guardians of the Galaxy" trailer's "Star Wars" similarities and realizes that the future lies in the hands of a bunch of a-holes.

Full article here.

Dirtiness aside, I didn't really get Star Wars vibes from the trailer.

Not only does it have a feeling of Star Wars, but it's also got a bit of Firelfy to it as well... I am so looking forward to this!!! Trailer was better than I could imagine!

I totally got that Star Wars vibe earlier when I saw the trailer. One can hope.
    Today, I make no demands... no threats! But, one day, I shall voice demands -- and all shall obey them!

I love Gamora's smirk in the movie when she's in the line up.

If anything, the movie reminds me of Farscape. Which is frellin awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by hammershipdown View Post
    Not only does it have a feeling of Star Wars, but it's also got a bit of Firelfy to it as well... I am so looking forward to this!!! Trailer was better than I could imagine!
    There's definitely something of a Peter Quinn/Mal Reynolds parallel. Not too overwhelming, but the whole bit where he's trying to convince them that he's called Star Lord called to mind some of the wackier Mal moments/line deliveries.

doctoraquaman

When I first saw it, I thought Firefly because of the dirty look of the world and its willingness to make fun of itself. Someone once told me that Firefly was meant to be an anti-Star Trek, and I could see that here.
    For those who have not seen Thor: The Dark World, I guess I should yell SPOILER...

Surprisingly, the stinger about Guardians of the Galaxy at the end of Thor: The Dark World just looked awful to me. The special effects looked like a throwback to '80s sci fi movies. On one hand, Benicio del Toro did look exactly like the Collector, but, at the same time, looked like a really bad make up job. The characters that surrounded him looked like throwbacks from the worst sci fi movies I saw in the '80s, one character looking like something I saw in Space Balls (which was meant to be a parody), but this new trailer really alleviated a lot of my fears.
    By the way, since I know you feared people doing this, that just tempts me more into doing it: If you never saw a James Gunn movie, you should check out Super, which is like Kick Ass but without the misogynistic attitude.

I agree with what others have said - very much a Firefly vibe to the trailer, mixed with the holy trinity Star Wars. Two extremely high bars, but that trailer was so freaking awesome...

"It is absolutely insane that Marvel has made a "Guardians of the Galaxy" movie."

And absolutely glorious. I haven't been this excited about a movie since...well, Avengers. But still, that's quite a feat.

Quote Originally Posted by damocles23 View Post
    If anything, the movie reminds me of Farscape. Which is frellin awesome.
    yes. that's part of what i loved about the series and glad it seems to have transitioned to the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by durkadurka View Post
    "It is absolutely insane that Marvel has made a "Guardians of the Galaxy" movie."

And absolutely glorious. I haven't been this excited about a movie since...well, Avengers. But still, that's quite a feat.
    SOOOO much this!! I love that, while DC/WB are in developmental hell just trying to get a Man of Steel sequel off the ground, Marvel goes ahead and makes Guardians of the Galaxy and, at least in the trailer, absolutely kills it! No fear, Marvel!! Balls to the wall and flooring it!!! :)
    A true friend stabs you in the front. ~ Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by doctoraquaman View Post
    Surprisingly, the stinger about Guardians of the Galaxy at the end of Thor: The Dark World just looked awful to me. The special effects looked like a throwback to '80s sci fi movies. On one hand, Benicio del Toro did look exactly like the Collector, but, at the same time, looked like a really bad make up job. The characters that surrounded him looked like throwbacks from the worst sci fi movies I saw in the '80s, one character looking like something I saw in Space Balls (which was meant to be a parody), but this new trailer really alleviated a lot of my fears.
    I thought the exact same thing but apparently, that segment wasn't directed by James Gunn and was put together very quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by doctoraquaman View Post
    By the way, since I know you feared people doing this, that just tempts me more into doing it: If you never saw a James Gunn movie, you should check out Super, which is like Kick Ass but without the misogynistic attitude.
    "Misogynistic attitude"? Isn't Kick-Ass the film where a little girl kills about a hundred men in the entire film but only one woman (off-camera)?
    --*--
    Bring Back MI:13

We need more Black Knight and Faiza Hussain!

So here's the thing, people that want a more diverse Marvel Movie-verse: You have to go see "Guardians of the Galaxy."
    Here's the other thing, though. If the movie is good, people will go see it. This is a little like Lucas saying, "If you don't go see Red Tails, studios will get the message that audiences don't wait blockbusters with black leads." (Nearly every movie starring Will Smith, a trilogy of Blade movies that made $100 million each, and the fact that Sam Jackson is the highest grossing actor of all time notwithstanding.) If the movie turns out to be terrible, it may bomb (quality doesn't seen to effect Transformers success) and the message should be: "Marvel fans want good movies," not "Marvel fans eschew a more diverse selection of storylines."

Quote Originally Posted by Matt W View Post
    Here's the other thing, though. If the movie is good, people will go see it. This is a little like Lucas saying, "If you don't go see Red Tails, studios will get the message that audiences don't wait blockbusters with black leads." (Nearly every movie starring Will Smith, a trilogy of Blade movies that made $100 million each, and the fact that Sam Jackson is the highest grossing actor of all time notwithstanding.) If the movie turns out to be terrible, it may bomb (quality doesn't seen to effect Transformers success) and the message should be: "Marvel fans want good movies," not "Marvel fans eschew a more diverse selection of storylines."
    you assume movie producers think like us human beings. In truth when something doesn't do too well they're quicker to blame the broad concepts that make any film, such as the make up of its cast (racially, gender,etc) or the genre of its story, than the execution of such concepts.

I like to think of it like this; They'll look at a two legged dog and say it can't run well because its a Labrador retriever.

producers are dumb like that, they hold on to stupid stigmas because of fear that they can't make an interesting profitable product without them. these are the guys that'll make a "Catwoman" a part of an excuse for why Wonder Wonder Woman can't be made, because the super heroine protagonist is the problem not dumb story.

its a miracle when these guys deviate from the norm, and due to limited rights and the success of more sure entities a film of this nature is now being made. This is an aberration that needs to supported if we want something different in the future, I wish it was as simple as you say but thats not how the powers that be work unfortunately.
    Steve Rogers: You ready to follow Captain America into the jaws of death?
    James Barnes: Hell, no! The little guy from Brooklyn who was too dumb not to run away from a fight. I'm following him."