Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 143
  1. #1
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Peru
    Posts
    8,491

    Default Wonder Woman #28 Discussion/Spoilers

    The pacing is slooow here and we didn't even get a proper resolution for the fight for Olympus.

    Solid issue but the ongoing problems are becoming even more apparent

  2. #2
    Senior Member SNascimento's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,696

    Default

    The pacing is not slow, it's exactly what it should be to be savored properly. But I wonder, this issue began with Diana searching for Zola and endeed with Diana, Cassandra, The First Born and Apollo all together while Olympus imploded. I wouldn't exactly call it a small development.

    Just a few notes:

    - Cassandra is such a great villain, I believe the First Born story will end here, but I hope Cassandra stays to fight another day. She effortless captured Dionysius because she knew exactly what to do and had all the pieces to do it.
    - The First Born and Apollo confrontation was cool (oh, the irony!). And it really shows how the FB is pure hate. An incredible foe for Wonder Woman indeed.
    - The characters moments are always pleasant in this book.
    - The eye contact between Wondie and the Minotaur, it's pretty much confirmed he is the same from issue #0 now, no?
    - Dat last panel!
    - Did I say Cassandra is awesome? Because she is!
    "Perfection... sometimes it's our worst enemy. I tried to be perfect once... decided to just try to be better. Found a good way to start that... is by accepting who you are."

  3. #3
    Senior Member Don-Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,212

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SNascimento View Post
    this issue began with Diana searching for Zola and endeed with Diana, Cassandra, The First Born and Apollo all together while Olympus imploded. I wouldn't exactly call it a small development.
    I wasn't expecting that much. I expected Diana to come close to Zola and Cassandra, or to end together, but Apollo and First Born would be separated from them. If they ended up all together, it's a big development. Maybe even too fast. And still, I expect the little storyline to conclude in issue #29, before Chiang enter on another hiatus. Like previous storyline was #24-26, this one should be #27-29.

    I can't wait to read it.
    Sexism: men are from Ares, women are from Aphrodite.

  4. #4

    Default

    Loveddddd this. 5/5.

  5. #5
    The Mad Artist RMAN63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Bermuda Triangle
    Posts
    3,444

    Default

    The Minotaur IS the same one as from #0. I think this is cool, and will bring in some potentially poignant moments and certainly a gigantic SNAFU in Cassandra's plan. He will be her undoing, or someone's undoing surely. In fact, he will probably be the one to save Wonder Woman from whatever trap or impending defeat she's got coming up ahead. Nice touch, from a book Azzarello didn't really want to write too much (#0)

  6. #6
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    6,198

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Don-Jack
    If they ended up all together, it's a big development.
    Exactly--and we get the big fire of the prophecy: "After the fire, the smoke is thick. Only silhouettes. One is yours [Apollo's]. One is his. One is standing. One is burning....A naked woman. She's there, but she's too late! ... It's your SISTER...." (Wonder Woman 23.2)

    Which raises the question of how Wonder Woman will end up naked next issue. Or Cassandra. Or--more likely, I guess-- Artemis will show up in her silver moonlight form, which probably qualifies as naked.

    And the "great fire" will be followed by a "terrible war before the throne of Olympus is decided." (23.2). The terrible war seems to be what everyone's gearing up for at least through issue 31 (the solicit for which mentions :the eve of the Battle for Olympus"). In the meantime, I guess, the First Born will "rule in fire" over incinerated Olympus (as "King of Ashes," which is the title of 29), but where's his crown of horns and cape of blood (per the oracles in #1)?

    If the First Born is unable to cement his succession as Heaven, will that be because Apollo, though shattered, will still be hanging on to life, so the throne won't accept a new king? Or if Apollo is dead or unable to rule, who will be proposed as the alternative to the FB? Zeke, fast-aged or through a regent? Or maybe Athena, who (according to 13) refused to accept Apollo as king?
    Last edited by slvn; 02-19-2014 at 06:19 AM.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Blacksun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,869

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RMAN63 View Post
    The Minotaur IS the same one as from #0. I think this is cool, and will bring in some potentially poignant moments and certainly a gigantic SNAFU in Cassandra's plan. He will be her undoing, or someone's undoing surely. In fact, he will probably be the one to save Wonder Woman from whatever trap or impending defeat she's got coming up ahead. Nice touch, from a book Azzarello didn't really want to write too much (#0)
    this is what surprise me,, for a guy that wasn't interested in WW, he is doing very well in this book.

    "my hater burns hotter than a thousand sons"

    good pun Azz

  8. #8
    Senior Member Blacksun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,869

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by slvn View Post
    Exactly--and we get the big fire of the prophecy: "After the fire, the smoke is thick. Only silhouettes. One is yours [Apollo's]. One is his. One is standing. One is burning....A naked woman. She's there, but she's too late! ... It's your SISTER...." (Wonder Woman 23.2)

    Which raises the question of how Wonder Woman will end up naked next issue. Or Cassandra. Or--more likely, I guess-- Artemis will show up in her silver moonlight form, which probably qualifies as naked.
    ah,WW naked could be used to sell more lol. Probably just Artemis blue form

  9. #9
    Senior Member Don-Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,212

    Default

    Maybe the Minotaur is the "unlikely" ally mentioned in issue #31 solicit (I keep telling myself the solicit always lie but I can't help it.)
    Sexism: men are from Ares, women are from Aphrodite.

  10. #10
    Senior Member spark627's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    NY, NY
    Posts
    2,304

    Default

    This issue was a very quick read. Felt like set up for the big fight (please let there be a BIG fight, this series needs it). Still loving the book but still think it needs more Wonder Woman.
    "Of all people, you know who I am...who the world needs me to be. I'm Wonder Woman."

  11. #11
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    6,198

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RMAN63 View Post
    The Minotaur IS the same one as from #0. I think this is cool, and will bring in some potentially poignant moments and certainly a gigantic SNAFU in Cassandra's plan. He will be her undoing, or someone's undoing surely. In fact, he will probably be the one to save Wonder Woman from whatever trap or impending defeat she's got coming up ahead. Nice touch, from a book Azzarello didn't really want to write too much (#0)
    I suppose the Minotaur could be the "unlikely ally" mentioned in the #31 solicit. Or it could be Dr. Cheever, who seems unhappy about abandoning the "acolytes."

    Why was the Minotaur apparently immune to Dio's powers? Too maddened with rage and bloodlust already to be made more insane by the god of madness? Why were the Minotaur and Diana paralleled with Cassandra's callous words about followers being easily gained and easily forgotten? Did the Minotaur become Diana's "Follower," in his own mind, after she spared him, and then feel neglected when she wasn't around (because she didn't know) to protect him from Cassandra? I do like the idea of the Minotaur being ordered to kill Diana in a future issue b refusing, thus returning her favor, so that her act of mercy ultiamtely saves her.

    It's interesting, though, that the Minotaur seems to be the only one on Olympus "crowned with horns," as the one "behind it all" is supposed to be. I don't really know what that could mean; the Minotaur doesn't seem like the mastermind type! Maybe the charred First Born, or Apollo, takes over the Minotaur's body?

  12. #12
    Senior Member Don-Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,212

    Default

    In issue #0, the narration says the Minotaur is the deadlier beast known to any man, woman or god. That could be read as an hyperbole, but maybe the Minotaur really is very powerful, even challenging the gods, and the fact that Cassandra used him to hunt Dio is a sign of that. Of course it looks silly, but...
    Sexism: men are from Ares, women are from Aphrodite.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Don-Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,212

    Default

    Oh my god, this issue was FANTASTIC! No quick read (even though I read it with no patience and skipped the preview pages). No stalling. Everything happens fast, but with rhythm. Perfect pace.

    I think it's the first issue from the 3rd year that I give 5/5 with no doubt. But I expect issue #29 to be even better.
    Sexism: men are from Ares, women are from Aphrodite.

  14. #14

    Default

    The book is definitely improving. I'm tired of the drawn-out First Born/Apollo stuff, but I like what Apollo did in the end. I don't know what the heck Zola was planning on doing to save Dionysus. I could see this setting up the climax of the overall run, and I hope it's so, because I would really prefer some classic, fun WW adventures right about now. This series hasn't been horrible, but very dark and heavy with its matter.

    Also, fun fact: Cheetah has been in every Wonder Woman #28 except this one. Well, maybe not a fun fact.
    "Kryptonite-laced nail polish. Isn't it too divine? Under all that steel, just a man."
    -- Cheetah, Batman: The Brave and the Bold

  15. #15
    Senior Member SNascimento's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,696

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by slvn View Post
    I suppose the Minotaur could be the "unlikely ally" mentioned in the #31 solicit. Or it could be Dr. Cheever, who seems unhappy about abandoning the "acolytes."

    Why was the Minotaur apparently immune to Dio's powers? Too maddened with rage and bloodlust already to be made more insane by the god of madness? Why were the Minotaur and Diana paralleled with Cassandra's callous words about followers being easily gained and easily forgotten? Did the Minotaur become Diana's "Follower," in his own mind, after she spared him, and then feel neglected when she wasn't around (because she didn't know) to protect him from Cassandra? I do like the idea of the Minotaur being ordered to kill Diana in a future issue b refusing, thus returning her favor, so that her act of mercy ultiamtely saves her.

    It's interesting, though, that the Minotaur seems to be the only one on Olympus "crowned with horns," as the one "behind it all" is supposed to be. I don't really know what that could mean; the Minotaur doesn't seem like the mastermind type! Maybe the charred First Born, or Apollo, takes over the Minotaur's body?
    I don't believe he was immune, just that Dionysius didn't have time to use them. The Minotaur broke free with his strength and owned the god... which also illustrates that Wonder Woman defeating him in issue #0 was no small feat, something that I said a few times. War would not be proud of her otherwise.

    And what did I say about Cassandra being precise? Poor Dio didn't stand a chance.
    "Perfection... sometimes it's our worst enemy. I tried to be perfect once... decided to just try to be better. Found a good way to start that... is by accepting who you are."

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •