Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Gail Simone Aims High with "Completely Badass" "Tomb Raider"

Writer and avid gamer Gail Simone tells CBR News how much writing Dark Horse's soon-to-debut "Tomb Raider" comic book means to her.

Full article here.

Resident Curmudgeon

The first time I take a chance on Wonder Woman, which she wrote, and instead of reading like Women Empowerment, it reads like Women Superiority. Gail needs to learn the fine art of avoiding overcompensation. I fear she will bring the same sensibilities to Tomb Raider. Croft is a badass person, not a badass female, so there is no reason to bury any male in the story in order to elevate her.
    Last edited by Global Honored; 02-17-2014 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Edited out direct creator bashing
    Pull List
    Justice League, Action, Superman, Detective, Batman, Aquaman, Flash, GL, WW
    Avengers, Captain America, Daredevil, Fantastic Four, Hulk, Iron Man, Superior Spider-Man, Thor, Uncanny X-Men

Dark Horse grabbed the Tomb Raider license?

Very interesting. That gives Lara Croft a lot more comics cred IMHO....

Anyway, I might give this book a shot. I'm absolutely TERRIBLE at video games, so I haven't played the new Tomb Raider game (or ANY Tomb Raider game since the second one lol)...but I've always liked the character of Lara Croft. I hope I'll be able to to dive in without having to know the gaming history.
    Last edited by Global Honored; 02-17-2014 at 10:56 AM.
    dazzler_emma frost_cyclops_angela_longshot
    red hood_harley quinn_deadshot_aresenal_deathstroke

http://lordtoede.blogspot Scott M Davis's Avatar

I was all on board till I saw that Simone was writing it too. She pander's to the LCD and that's the only reason why she moves comics. Any time she actually tried to write something engaging, it fails.

That said, I like the new game, totally worth checking out Flinkman, and I will give the first issue a try.
    Pull List: Valiant Titles, All New Marvel Now Titles, Popeye Classics, Haunted Horror.

I'm not sold by Simone, frankly - although I disagree with the assertion above - Lara Croft IS a badass woman, and there's not enough like her in game, frankly. But I'm still not sold on Simone - she started going downhill following the 'Depths' arc in Secret Six, where I feel she learned she could basically do the same thing every arc and get away with it.

As for her on TR; I'm not sold; I think the game worked because it was grounded and stuck to one location, and worked because it developed Lara's character; I think Simone might bring too much of the flavour of the older games back, which is distinctly not what TR2013 is about.

I was a fan of the Topcow series, so I'm willing to give this one a try.
    New Avengers*Unity* Shadowman* RAI* TRANSFORMERS* MILES MORALES

I've never played a Tomb Raider game. I read only a few of the Top Cow issues and that's cause I got them in a $1 box at a show. I'm hit/miss with Simone and passed on her Red Sonja, I will decide on this the day of release.
    "Freedom is the Right of ALL Sentient Beings" - Optimus Prime
    Twitter:http://twitter.com/#!/CaptainCraig1

She comes across as too crude for my liking. I've always perceived Lara Croft to be more of an intelligent, graceful, cool "badass"... i'm past worn out on making all of these supposed "strong Females" as these stereotypical males and stripping away the Femininity as if it's a weakness. It's like the same Female character in all of these various books. With the same facial expression and same attitude, and same over exaggerated aggression and behavior.

Obviously, that's only a few pages there and can't judge the entire thing based on a few pages but just saying. A Female doesn't have to be as a stereotypical male to be strong, or powerful. Femininity is powerful, and great.. and strong, and nothing to be looked at as a negative or weakness.

[Fitting 1000th post, as i'm so past worn out on that. Haha]
    Last edited by eXplorer; 02-17-2014 at 11:22 PM.