Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Furman Shuts Down Marvel's "Transformers" Continuity with IDW's "Regeneration One" #100

Simon Furman discusses what it's like to end the "Transformers" saga he began at Marvel Comics for a second time with IDW's "Regeneration One" #100.

Full article here.

I'll pick this up despite not having read the RG1 material.
    Knowing it's an ending now though I'm inclined to go and get the trades.
    "Freedom is the Right of ALL Sentient Beings" - Optimus Prime
    Twitter:http://twitter.com/#!/CaptainCraig1

Be careful. You may like it, but as a fan of Furmans work in his Marvel and UK run, much of this has been just horrible. Some nice ideas, but horrible pacing, hardly any real character developement, wasted characters, wasted villains. The 5 issue arcs just didn't help his overall story at all. Lots of beginning, and then they end suddenly, hardly any middle to speak of. Wildmans art was very bland.

He should have focused on one big story with a clear cut group of characters.

I was really excited for this series until it was confirmed that Generation2 was being pushed aside for yet another Transformers timeline. Sorry, but my original Marvel continuity includes Gen2

The art credits are wrong. The interior pages shown are pencilled by Andrew Wildman, inked by Stephen Baskerville and colored by John-Paul Bove. Guido is also working on the issue but his art is not shown.

I was pretty underwhelmed by G2 and have enjoyed Furman's new run immensely.

I want a hundred more issues.
    The two most powerful warriors are patience and time - Leo Tolstoy

The original Tramsformers series takes place in the same continuity as the original GI Joe series. Both "GI Joe and the Transformers" and the GI Joe/Transformers Generation 2 crossover are part of the same continuity along with the respective ongoing series. It seems like Regeneration 1 is better suited as a continuation of the Marvel UK series which replaced the GI Joe and the Transformers mini with its own original story.

Plus, Generation 2 is definitively part of the Marvel Comics continuity because Marvel Comics appears on the cover.

Regeneration One seems to be more like a Superman Returns style retcon.

Furman considers this his offical ending. IT's a direct continuation of the ending of his MArvel run, and it is. Poorly executed if you ask me, but it's his take on the ending if he had been allowed to finish the way he wanted to 20 years ago. Which most of that is bull, since hardly any of this is stuff he talked about doing years ago when asked what his original ending was. I assume the stuff with Primus is connected to his ending idea, but that's it.

G2 is also an ending

as was a short prose story called, "Another Time and Place," which predates G2 and if you ask me wraps up the old Marvel continuity in 2 parts better than what Furman has done in 20 issues. Run down is that Prime gets word that Grimlock has skipped town on Cyberton and gone back to the planet where he got the nebulon stuff. There Grimlock discovers Bludgeon and the defeated cons in issue 80 attempting to resurrect Megatron. Grimlock and the Dinbots get captured, but it isn't long before Prime shows up. Grimlock does something or other that allows him to transform, and the Autobots destroy Bludgeon and the Decepticons for good. Grimlock and Prime both rip a half completed Megatron apart. Story ends with Prime on Cybertron hearing rumors of a new generation of Decepticons lurking about, and thus the point of the story that for the Transformers the war will never end.

I never thought that made sense.

Bludgeon was far too smart to try to bring Megatron back when he was top dog.
    The two most powerful warriors are patience and time - Leo Tolstoy

The comments about few characters appearing is kind of a bummer. Furman was always great at writing in dozens of TF's to his stories, and guys like Wildman and Senior and even Yaniger and Galan (and nowadays Guidi) threw them and more into the foregrounds and backgrounds to make the whole story seem much more important than it already was. Odd as well that G2 has (besides Jhiaxus) already been forgotten, at least reading his comments about the timeline.

Always wanted to read that G2 prose story, too, but without Wildman's art (though I heard there were *some* images in the story?) it seems a lot less fun and so I never pursued it.

And when reading this interview alongside Hama's regarding GI JOE #200, it's a stark contrast - Hama says he could write Joe forever and ever, while Furman seems quite content with ending TF right here. Dang.