Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Johns & Romita "Really Want to Create Something Big" with Superman

The incoming "Superman" team of Geoff Johns & John Romita Jr. talk to CBR News about exploring "unknown territory" with DC's first superhero.

Full article here.

This could be great. Honestly really great.

However.

It seems Johns is looking to soft-reboot the New52 Superman a bit. Which is fine, to a degree. If the goal is to make things less confusing and more streamlined, fine. If it's changing a character to a more classic version of themselves because a new version didn't take off, thats fine too. If it's overall going to help Superman sell better and for Johns to give the best stories he can, fine.

But, I don't want Johns to do all this and then leave Superman. I want to see him on Superman long term. I want years of stories from him. If he's going to drastically change Superman's corner of the universe, he needs to stick around to help it play out. This needs to be Green Lantern run Johns.

Johns set up New Krypton wonderfully, and then the story somewhat fell apart after he left. He introduced many ideas and other writers couldn't run with them. That is why he needs to stick around this time. If he's changing things and introducing new concepts, he needs to be around.

All in all, I'm excited to see where this goes.

So I think I've been one of the loudest detractors about Johns being on Superman again. I havent had a good thing to say about it on any level at all.

This interview brings up a few interesting notions. There might be a couple good ideas tucked away in here somewhere and what appears to possibly be a bit of a focus on space (the seed of this story did spawn from the Surfer) does give me a tiny pinprick of hope that he wont screw up Pak's Action, at least for a while.

But mostly all this did was reinforce my opinion that Johns is going to try and fix something that isnt broken. Right now, conceptually, nothing is wrong with Superman or his universe (other than Superboy) that needs any kind of drastic alteration. It doesnt. It needs time to congeal and solidify and the franchise needs to *heal* but its not broken anymore, Grant Morrison fixed all that over two years ago.

If Johns wants to streamline a few things, take care of a hiccup or two that have cropped up along the way, fine. But I get the feeling that he wont stop there, and the threats to stick around long term are very concerning.

Just because Im an optimist and I have enjoyed a lot of his other work, Johns gets one issue. Grudgingly. But I read very little here that gives me any hope for the Superman that Morrison and Pak have built.

I enjoy Superman in Space story I really do but since Grant Morrison's run I don't feel like we don't see much of Clark Kent.
    Under Lobdell he quit his job and doesn't ever seem to file a story with Cat on their blog.
    Pak gives Superman so much character and makes him feel human, Soule actually has Clark hanging out with Cat (why not Jimmy also?) and the relationship talk with Batman was good stuff. Snyder's unchained involves Jimmy and Lois quite a bit who are important to Clark

My issue with Johns run is what lead me leaving Green Lantern was we stop getting Hal Jordan for the past almost 20 something issues it's been GL business nonstop.
    With Flash we see Barry at work with his girlfriend Patty
    Snyder's Batman court of Owls got started because Bruce wanted to revitalize Gotham, and later in Zero Year we see Bruce talk to the public about why they love Gotham.
    Wonder Woman doesn't have a secret identity but after her mom was turned into a statue and her sisters to snakes she went to a club to handle her emotions. Like Pak's Action Comics Wonder Woman has emotion in it.

I would like to see more of the man, more Clark Kent and the people around him, see him be normal not just being Superman 24/7

What a fantastic interview to put up on Valentine's Day. It feels like DC is selling this pairing to be their next power couple after Superman/Wonder Woman. I wonder if CBR would be willing to cover the future reality show John & Johns. Kidding of course, but it feels like they're really pushing interviews out of these guys when it feels like they actually have very little work done thus far. I'm surprised they are talking so much about it when it's still a ways off and we have yet to finish FE and even start Superman: Doomed.

While I'm not a huge Marvel reader, so I don't know where most of the JRJR hate comes from, I will say that from the interviews he sounds genuinely thrilled to take a chance on a new universe and they both seem to have a lot of enthusiasm for their new venture. Consider me interested. It'll be interesting to see how the relationship holds up after the first couple stories. Johns playing the long game is always something worth sticking around to check out.

Not sure how long the new duo are going to be on Superman but its clear something needs to be done sales-wise to boost the title from its current numbers. Its just languishing at the moment and has been for a while now. So I'm excited about this.

Out there, that a way Doctor Cosmic's Avatar

Geoff Johns has long been one of my favorite writers. I first read his work with "Green Lantern: Rebirth," and I consider his work on Superman in Action Comics to be some of the best Superman work ever done.

HOWEVER...he burned me when he left Action and the Superman titles in a huge creative lurch after New Krypton. That storyline had the potential to be truly epic and could have gone a long way to reshaping what DC saw as Superman's problematic status at the time. Instead, it ended up being a fragmented story that was poorly planned (no Superman in his core titles, an unnecessary new title) and given a rushed and creatively-bankrupt ending. There was so much potential in New Krypton sticking around, even if it was just for a few years, or even if the planet was somehow moved to another part of space or even another dimension. There was a lot to explore with those characters and setting, and all DC did was blow it all up and move on to Super-Gump.

I want Johns' to stay on Superman for the long term, but I just don't think it's going to happen. As for Romita Jr., I feel his best work was in the 90s on Iron Man and Punisher. I've not seen anything since then that has impressed me.

I gave up on the New 52 as a whole last year, but I'll at least check out this first issue.
    \S/
    1938-2013
    75 YEARS OF MAKING THE WORLD BELIEVE

Great White North Brian from Canada's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by darksammyknite View Post
    I enjoy Superman in Space story I really do but since Grant Morrison's run I don't feel like we don't see much of Clark Kent.
    Under Lobdell he quit his job and doesn't ever seem to file a story with Cat on their blog.
    Lobdell has actually given us a lot more Clark than people realize: we had the quitting of The Daily Planet, but we also had the party where Clark had to introduce Diana, and the present story with Parasite has scenes with Lois that are better than anything we've had from Morrison.

The real problem with Lobdell's writing is that, when he started, he was saying that the editors were pushing him for more hitting things and bigger stories. Now, the whole blog storyline has been given to Superman/Wonder Woman while the General Lane revelation (he's being courted for Senate) was used to set Superman Unchained into continuity.

Pak gives Superman so much character and makes him feel human, Soule actually has Clark hanging out with Cat (why not Jimmy also?) and the relationship talk with Batman was good stuff. Snyder's unchained involves Jimmy and Lois quite a bit who are important to Clark
    Pak's Superman in Batman/Superman has no humanity: he's a plot device. The only character is in Action Comics right now. Soule inherited all of Lobdell and Johns's storylines for his basis - though he is excellent at conversation. As for Snyder, Lois and Jimmy aren't really defined in relation to Superman... and Jimmy's becoming Doomsday is not a major human point.

My issue with Johns run is what lead me leaving Green Lantern was we stop getting Hal Jordan for the past almost 20 something issues it's been GL business nonstop.
    My first issue with Johns is that he thinks like Bendis: event after event. Green Lantern, since the relaunch, has been event after event and not a book about a hero -- a hero, incidentally, he introduces to take over the role and promptly forgets.

My second issue with Johns is that, as a VP and architect of the DCU, his framework isn't being taken apart in his absence. The Lantern books are still setting up event after event in order to survive.

Johns' Justice League does the same thing: set an event, pick a point or two to develop towards it, and run.

I would like to see more of the man, more Clark Kent and the people around him, see him be normal not just being Superman 24/7
    I would like to see just better editing on the line. Period. Superman's two-part story with Parasite was excellent in giving us Clark at home dealing with two loves, a crisis coming to him, and him dealing with the problem it poses. It doesn't need to think big, just as Pak's Action story tries to sneak in smaller moments without being world shattering in threat.

This? It's the same as "Krypton Returns," "Psi-War" and the upcoming Doomsday story: like the Lantern books, it makes every. single. thing. a major world disaster that might be the big tipping point before the end.
    Now with a blog! Visit: http://bfromc.wordpress.com

Cavilling Metropolitan Self-DCeit's Avatar

Everything points back to Superman -- it's all about Superman. And that's the key in any Superman story. Too often it takes Superman for granted and [doesn't] make it about him emotionally, and where he is and what he's after, and how he fits into the world.
    The fact that our story clearly is all about that, and is Superman's story, and is tackling him on every conceivable level known and unknown -- it's fresh and new, and it's unknown territory.
    We have a lot of classic elements in ours, and we have a lot of things that we're going to polish up, but at the same time, we're marching forward and new.
    I never take what an author says in an interview at face value, but I'm definitely sold on the attitude and direction this seems to be going in.

The Alpha and The Omega Godlike13's Avatar

They seem to have a nice rapport. That bodes well.

This is totally generic, drum up excitement non-committal act-like-you're-talking-without-saying-a-thing interview, beyond the discussion of the creative rapport. No feelings one way or the other here.
    Best of the Best
    Grant Morrison; Alan Moore; Mark Waid; Warren Ellis; Mark Millar (when not all Millar-y); Elliot S! Maggin; Kurt Busiek; Jonathan Hickman; Matt Fraction; Jason Aaron; Garth Ennis.

Quote Originally Posted by zryson View Post
    Not sure how long the new duo are going to be on Superman but its clear something needs to be done sales-wise to boost the title from its current numbers. Its just languishing at the moment and has been for a while now. So I'm excited about this.
    I thought that's what the New 52 itself was for.
    A true friend stabs you in the front. ~ Oscar Wilde

I have trust in these two.
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.”

Really looking forward to this. I'm diggin the new Superman and I've liked Johns and Romita Jr. for years.

I know it's early days, but I do wish Johns would give us a clue about the hook so I can tell if I'm really interested in it or not without jumping blindly onto a hype-train.
    "Everything hs changed. ‘Dark’ entertainment now looks like hysterical, adolescent, ‘Zibarro’ crap." - Morrison, 2008.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com