Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Shelf Life - Feb 13, 2014

Ron's offer for artists to draw a page of his creator-owned series "Shinku" resulted in an avalanche of submissions, and a wealth of interpretations. See them all!

Full article here.

Wow. Really cool stuff, love being able to compare a grip of artists' take on one page. And good insights on what to really look at when comparing their sequential storytelling abilities rather than styles.

Someone should make a website where artists & writers can look through each other's profiles to find someone to work with. Like a Linked In for the comics industry. Does that exist already? Folks could try sample pages like this and find collaborators. Be able to sort searches by distance if you want a closer collaboration. Somebody with more ambition than me should totally make that happen.

Great work by all the artists who participated in this fantastic opportunity. I want to give extra kudos to a few of the artists whose work i found personally appealing:

Robert Mandir, Jason Baroody, Steven Bagatzky, Till Felix, Kris Carter, Axel Mendlin and Richard Clark.

Fantastic job everyone. I hope Ron is kind enough to do something like this again in the future.

Awesome article and something I'd like to see done a lot more in the future for artists like myself. I really enjoyed seeing everyones take on the same script. I liked Logan Miller's page a lot, but overall everyone did a great job.

www.tentonstudios.com jasonbaroody's Avatar

what a great turn out, so many good artists! wow, this was cool thanks for letting me participate.
    cheers
    ~j
    WWW.TENTONSTUDIOS.COM
    WWW.JASONBAROODY.COM
    I'm available for commissions, contact me through one of the links above.

This was great.

VERY nice turnout. I would have loved to join this. Maybe next time (and when I'm not hammered with my own deadlines). But yeah, it's amazing what an artist will do with a script when the road is wide open. Personally, I like a script with a lot of description, but at the same time I'll treat it like a guideline more than a road map. The extra info helps me see it in my mind's eye. Anyway, there were some REALLY good looking entries and I hope they find work -- if they haven't already.

So many cool pages! And if Jason Baroody, Doug Hills, and Logan Miller don't find series/mini/anthology work soon, I'd be very surprised.

Note: I only admired their work, I didn't extensively search yet to see who is doing what out in the wider world of art, so apologies if any/all of them already have gigs they love!

a lot of good artist here! I was lucky enough to be next to Logan Miller that guy sent an amazing page, I liked the animated/like page of eric owen and paul hostetler, and steven bagatzky did an amazing inking work.
    hopefully we can repeat this in the near future.
    I would love some Rons feedback on the pages too

This was a great exercise and opportunity. Thank you Ron for coming up with it. I'd like to see CBR do something like this on a regular basis.

I appreciate Ron's comment that the page layout is a guide for the artist to follow. It's not said enough that an artist should interpret the page in the best way they know how. And as Ron pointed out there are a number of different ways to layout a page.

Deviant Art: http://artistjoshmills.deviantart.com
    Blog: http://www.comicbookculture.com

Wow. A lot of variety in the entries. I found this very cool and it looks like a lot of the artists had fun doing there entries. If something like this happens again, I'll have to take a stab at it, since I missed this.

Now that was an educational exercise. I learned so much from seeing how each artist approached the page. More of this would be great.