Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default REVIEW: All-New X-Men, #23

Crossing the halfway mark in "The Trial of Jean Grey," Brian Bendis and Stuart Immonen bring in plenty of cosmic characters, some excitement and a surprise or two in "All-New X-Men" #23.

Full review here.

HopeistheGreatestofEvils Atomiq's Avatar

lol, who is this guy.

Good review. I agree with the score. I would even give it half a star more. It had a lot of raw emotion and a lot sci-fi action. What's not to like about it? I know the reveal at the end will confuse and upset some people, but I don't see how adding more drama to the mix will make this story any less awesome.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

X-men Supreme

Im all caught up and as expected this "Trial" makes absolutely no sense. They fully acknowledge that TeenJean didn't do that stuff so why does there need to be a trial? Did they forget the actualJean who did that stuff went on trial during DPS? I also hate how they completely ignore the fact that the Phoenix Force recently bonded with other mutants which it corrupted

That's old continuity. Too confusing for new readers who "happen" to remember the StarJammers.
    X-Poster of the Month: July 2013
    The Best There Is At What I Do

Quote Originally Posted by MartinRedmond View Post
    That's old continuity. Too confusing for new readers who "happen" to remember the StarJammers.
    The fools! Being familiar with the broader mythos

Quote Originally Posted by MartinRedmond View Post
    I love the StarJammers. When did the Star Jammers fall out of continuity? I know it's been awhile but I remember in Brubaker story. They been around since?

Granted there are problems here, but with the X-Men, there is always continuity problems. Taken for what it is though, this issue was very entertaining. Poor Young Scott, bombarded with 20 years of revelations in like 4 months page time.

Cyclops was right.

Personally, I think this version of "The trial of Jean Grey" is completely stupid. All Bendis is doing is recycling an already existing story and trying to make it into something new.

several of today's current writers do this. Morrison's X-Run readily comes to mind...
    Hear me X-men! No longer am I the woman you once knew! I am fire and life incarnate! Now and forever...

I AM PHOENIX!

Quote Originally Posted by Magneto: ruler of all View Post
    Personally, I think this version of "The trial of Jean Grey" is completely stupid. All Bendis is doing is recycling an already existing story and trying to make it into something new.
    I dont think that is entirely fair. It would be insane and awful to bring the O5 back and not address that elephant in the room. One way or another they have to explore it, and Bendis decided on this trial as the backdrop. Hes done a good job of pointing out the absurdity of it, and points of it have been rationalized. Such as End of Greys where we know they will go to crazy lengths when it comes the Phoenix.

Also while a large amount of the content is recycled (as in a history recap), the arc itself is not directly about that at all (at least it doesn't seem so). Its about the character progression that happens as a result of being confronted with these events. Primarily from a Jean and to a lesser extent Scott point of view.

The main problem is that they have thrown Gladiator on the sacrificial altar to make it all work. He should know better, especially considering the M'kraan crystal stuff. That is sloppy on his part.
    New to Comics. Jean diehard, trying to branch out.