Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR TV: Milestone's Denys Cowan on "The Question," McDuffie's Bravery & the Diversity Problem

Milestone co-founder Denys Cowan joined CBR TV for a lengthy discussion of his career, Milestone's mission and the ongoing struggle to create diverse characters.

Full article here.

Thanks for the great interview, Jonah. I really enjoyed hearing and reading Denys Cowan's insights about the comics industry and diversity. Like him, I'm so over the "put a Black/Asian/Hispanic/Muslim in a previously White character's costume and turn 'em loose" mindset of comics. That is so played out and indicates a complete lack of imagination from a business where imagination is paramount.
    Journalism is just a gun. It's only got one bullet in it, but if you aim right, that's all you need. Aim it right, and you can blow a kneecap off the world.

~ Warren Ellis

R.I.P. Dwayne McDuffie Greg Anderson's Avatar

That was a FANTASTIC watch!! More and more people, readers, are realizing the lack of diversity in comic books now and Cowan makes some great points about the differences of 10-20 years ago to the differences now. Just a wonderful watch, a must watch at that.
    Greg Anderson: Blackized Anti-Sterotypist!

Free Umbra!

WOW ! just two people comment on this ???? That's mad ! THIS IS A MUST WATCH ! a true discussion on this subject ! I will point out why the thinking of "put a Black/Asian/Hispanic/Muslim in a previously White character's costume and turn 'em loose" idea is one of MARVEL just trying to get readers it pick up the book in the first place ! I AM SICK OF POSTER'S GOING ON ABOUT HATING MILESTONE JUST BECAUSE "they are not true DC characters !" BULLSH@T !! Miles Morales is a great character who just happen to have spider powers ! handled by a strong writer and had a really great artist Sara Pichelli kick the book off Remember when I was young seeing an African American man wearing the "S" in steel and getting a big kick out of it, as I was also reading Milestone !

I understand that Static Shock needed to end as it was a bad book full stop ! and I understand that DC is all about sells and making money but also feel that Milestone should be just given the chance to shine ! Where are the backlist of over 250 issue's online to buy then follow with omnibus of titles to start making money of Milestone with very little overhead to DC comics ? why not start there and see if they sell and get the chance to build the readership back up ? Why is it after all this time has DC felt its good "business sense" to just sit on it

That is a good interview. I'm seeing a recurring thing in interviews with Milestone alumni and on Colour Barrier (and of women, other ethnic groups ect) being interviewed and saying "we need more original characters, not legacy versions".

(I'd argue with "Any time you're announcing that "I'm working on the 'Mighty Avengers' and they're all black' and that's gonna be the thing -- you're gonna lose" since I don't remember seeing Ewing or the artists do any interview where they said that. Tom Brevoort has said the line-up is deliberate but Ewing keeps talking up the character dynamics)
    "We must fight on!"
    "We'll die. We fight and we die, that's how it goes."
    "Then we die gloriously!"
    "There's an important word there, and it's not gloriously."
    - Only You Can Save Mankind

Quote Originally Posted by Billy the Cat View Post
    WOW ! just two people comment on this ???? That's mad ! THIS IS A MUST WATCH !
    Because its an Industry Pro saying things. If it were just a regular poster we would be on 10 pages of why the notion is silly and the poster of the original thread is ignorant.

When it comes from a certified source..no comment.
    My webcomic Updated weekly
    My BlogSTORM/Black Panther Sabotage
    BEBOP--"Roland = pinnacle of objectivity"

Quote Originally Posted by zebop View Post
    Thanks for the great interview, Jonah. I really enjoyed hearing and reading Denys Cowan's insights about the comics industry and diversity. Like him, I'm so over the "put a Black/Asian/Hispanic/Muslim in a previously White character's costume and turn 'em loose" mindset of comics. That is so played out and indicates a complete lack of imagination from a business where imagination is paramount.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Anderson View Post
    That was a FANTASTIC watch!! More and more people, readers, are realizing the lack of diversity in comic books now and Cowan makes some great points about the differences of 10-20 years ago to the differences now. Just a wonderful watch, a must watch at that.
    Both of these posts are quoted for both the ever lovin truth and because I agree with every single thing that they said.

Cool article.

Quote Originally Posted by rolandjp View Post
    because its an industry pro saying things. If it were just a regular poster we would be on 10 pages of why the notion is silly and the poster of the original thread is ignorant.

When it comes from a certified source..no comment.
    god this is so true, its sad :(

Quote Originally Posted by Charles RB View Post
    That is a good interview. I'm seeing a recurring thing in interviews with Milestone alumni and on Colour Barrier (and of women, other ethnic groups ect) being interviewed and saying "we need more original characters, not legacy versions".

(I'd argue with "Any time you're announcing that "I'm working on the 'Mighty Avengers' and they're all black' and that's gonna be the thing -- you're gonna lose" since I don't remember seeing Ewing or the artists do any interview where they said that. Tom Brevoort has said the line-up is deliberate but Ewing keeps talking up the character dynamics)
    Sad thing for me was that Michael Davis (one of the founders of Milestone) started calling it that before the first issue even hit ! I'm not a great fan of the original artist of the Mighty Avengers and hope last issue's artist can stay on as it was a great fit for a great story as Ewing is hitting it out of the park

BUY LOKI: AGENT OF ASGARD Kieran_Frost's Avatar

Interesting read; I don't necessarily agree with everything said (I don't think the new Ms. Marvel being Muslim is a cop-out of a bad thing, for example; and I don't think Miles Morales is either -- he's isn't the "black Spiderman" he IS Spiderman of the Ultimate world... Peter Parker is dead, there is no "alternative").

I get that originating a new latino or gay character means you can look at it as original and unique and that have some kudos attached... BUT... it's a very hard sell, it's hard to keep ANY new character in the limelight. Let's be honest, Black Swan is (in all likelihood) going to disappear once Hickman leaves. Attaching a character (like the new Ms. Marvel) to a legacy -- esp. a legacy title not in use (and probably never in use for Carol again); means it's an instant boost. I'd rather have Daken in a solo series called Dark Wolverine than not have him appear in a solo series again, because the name "Raza" doesn't inspire or grab someone like the name "Wolverine" does. If that makes sense?

It comes back to the Storm solo called Storm vs. a Storm solo called X-men: Legacy. I get how to some it matters more to not compromise, even if it means getting a shorter run... but I'm not like that.
    "I don't know how to please you Lord, but I think the fact I try to please you, pleases you."

Quote Originally Posted by Billy the Cat View Post
    I'm not a great fan of the original artist of the Mighty Avengers and hope last issue's artist can stay on as it was a great fit for a great story as Ewing is hitting it out of the park
    Oh, is that guy just a temporary fill-in? Bum.
    "We must fight on!"
    "We'll die. We fight and we die, that's how it goes."
    "Then we die gloriously!"
    "There's an important word there, and it's not gloriously."
    - Only You Can Save Mankind

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Interesting read; I don't necessarily agree with everything said (I don't think the new Ms. Marvel being Muslim is a cop-out of a bad thing, for example; and I don't think Miles Morales is either -- he's isn't the "black Spiderman" he IS Spiderman of the Ultimate world... Peter Parker is dead, there is no "alternative").

I get that originating a new latino or gay character means you can look at it as original and unique and that have some kudos attached... BUT... it's a very hard sell, it's hard to keep ANY new character in the limelight. Let's be honest, Black Swan is (in all likelihood) going to disappear once Hickman leaves. Attaching a character (like the new Ms. Marvel) to a legacy -- esp. a legacy title not in use (and probably never in use for Carol again); means it's an instant boost. I'd rather have Daken in a solo series called Dark Wolverine than not have him appear in a solo series again, because the name "Raza" doesn't inspire or grab someone like the name "Wolverine" does. If that makes sense?
    The main problem with these types of legacy characters (and legacy characters in general) is that in MOST (NOT ALL) of these cases the original version of these characters will eventual return and be given their original name back. There is less chances of this happening if the original character is a lesser known/ess popular Golden Age character that hasn't appeared in a number of years (like original Vision,the original Human Torch,the original Blue Beetle,and the original Mister Terrific). Carol Danvers will most likely be calling herself "Ms Marvel" again and Miles Morales (the Ultimate version) will disappear into limbo once the Ultimate line is finally cancelled.

Quote Originally Posted by Blade X View Post
    The main problem with these types of legacy characters (and legacy characters in general) is that in MOST (NOT ALL) of these cases the original version of these characters will eventual return and be given their original name back. There is less chances of this happening if the original character is a lesser known/ess popular Golden Age character that hasn't appeared in a number of years (like original Vision,the original Human Torch,the original Blue Beetle,and the original Mister Terrific). Carol Danvers will most likely be calling herself "Ms Marvel" again and Miles Morales (the Ultimate version) will disappear into limbo once the Ultimate line is finally cancelled.
    I gather from your last sentence that you're psychic. Which is weird because my crystal ball says Miles will probably be the only character to outlast the Ultimate U (can't believe there's not a 616 version of him running around yet) & unless they replace Carol with another Captain Marvel, she's legally obligated to keep the name.
    Last edited by AnthonyD; 02-16-2014 at 09:49 PM.
    "The world needs bad men. We keep the other bad men from the door."

Quote Originally Posted by Blade X View Post
    That is the case for newer characters. but lets face it today's readers could care less about continuity, as long as the character looks the same ( same race that is)

Look at Doctor Octopus as Spiderman. Bucky as Captain America. The Many Ghost Riders, etc.

Legacy characters are a creative loophole so you dont have to put in as much work as creating something new.
    My webcomic Updated weekly
    My BlogSTORM/Black Panther Sabotage
    BEBOP--"Roland = pinnacle of objectivity"