Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default YEAR OF THE HORSE: A Recommitment To Creator-Owned Comics

Publisher Mike Richardson wraps our look inside Dark Horse's 2014 slate, emphasizing his commitment to expanding creator-owned comics in the coming year.

Full article here.

I am new to creator-owned comics, but now prefer those almost to the complete exclusion of superhero comics from the Big Two. Ever creator-owned comic I am reading now comes from Image, but I want to get into some Dark Horse comics. But for the love of comic book covers, but those bar codes on the back of the book!!

Was really loving The Massive, and was enjoying Buffy, but stopped when I switched over to digital. Everything under the sun is on Comixology except Dark Horse. Dark Horse's app was a mess at the time, and having to check a separate app all the time got to the point where I just started forgetting. Now I don't buy anything Dark Horse.

So when Mike Richardson realizes IDW is beating Dark Horse at the licensed comics game the same way Image is beating them at the creator-owned comics game, will they start making a concerted effort to return to their licensed comics roots?

Quote Originally Posted by jumbleweeds View Post
    So when Mike Richardson realizes IDW is beating Dark Horse at the licensed comics game the same way Image is beating them at the creator-owned comics game, will they start making a concerted effort to return to their licensed comics roots?
    I think there's enough room for everybody. As long as they're making a profit and turning out good books I don't see why they have to be number one in whatever 'game.'

Quote Originally Posted by jumbleweeds View Post
    Doesn't look like it. And I don't see Image "beating" Dark Horse at creator owned comics. Pretty much every DH creator owned comic is a success. With creator owned comics the point isn't to flood the stands with more issues, as it is with mainstream super hero comics. Each individual comic is judged on it's own success. Does it make money? If the answer is yes, then it's a success. There's not a whole lot on the stands in the way of creator owned comics that is more reliable with sales than The Goon and any Hellboy/B.P.R.D. related comics. And Usagi Yojimbo has been in print about as long as any creator owned comic in the industry at this point. Walking Dead is making amazing numbers ten years in. Will it be around thirty years in? Usagi Yojimbo will be.

And a lot of Image creator owned comics don't seem to make it to issue 20 anyway.
    The Copper Age is my Golden Age
    My 2014 1000 comic progress

ISn't it time for a Frank Miller old-school monthly? Every Month?

I know he likes to work long form now, (when he does), but it would be a real treat to get a regular dose.

On Hellboy: does it look like Mignola will close the Hellboy story? PLEASE NO SPOILERS FOR H in HELL

ISn't it time for him to tackle a new "universe"?
    "Calm down, call Batman." - Greg Capullo

Loving The Massive so far.

While I have the utmost respect for Mike Richardson’s many accomplishments, his memory is faulty when he says that in 1986 Dark Horse “spearheaded the creator-owned movement. Image was years away, and any kind of company that offered those rights and those freedoms hadn't happened yet.” Several companies already offered creator-ownership, including Mike Friedrich’s Star*Reach in the mid-1970s. I started Eclipse Comics in 1977 specifically to offer creator ownership to comics writers and artists. Eclipse had been exclusively publishing creator-owned properties (Sabre, Destroyer Duck, Miracleman, DNAgents, Rocketeer and many others) for nearly a decade before Mike formed Dark Horse. So let’s set the record straight—Dark Horse did not spearhead the creator-owned movement; it joined a well-established field led by Eclipse, Comico, Pacific Comics, and others.

Let's not re-write history here. Dark Horse, while certainly a major player in creator-owned comic properties, was not the father (or even the godfather) of creator-owned comics. Eclipse was the first real force for creator-owned work as well as starting up the direct market at a time where you had to go to a convention or a head shop to find "alternative" comics. DH's entry into the field was pretty late in the game. Eclipse, Comico, Pacific and even Epic at Marvel were already up and running. It's Eclipse, in my opinion, that established the framework for the creator contract that the rest of the industry followed. If memory serves, DH began life as a licensed property comics publisher not a crusader for downtrodden comcis creators.

Quote Originally Posted by Trey View Post
    On Hellboy: does it look like Mignola will close the Hellboy story? PLEASE NO SPOILERS FOR H in HELL
    Plots may be resolved, but Mignola's commented that he'll be doing this book for the rest of his comics career.

... so, I expect Hellboy will be around for many years to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Trey View Post
    ISn't it time for him to tackle a new "universe"?
    He is doing that Baltimore thing, no? Or is it supposed to be in the same universe as Hellboy?
    lots of dots

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Dixon View Post
    Let's not re-write history here. Dark Horse, while certainly a major player in creator-owned comic properties, was not the father (or even the godfather) of creator-owned comics.
    Agreed.

Eclipse was the first real force for creator-owned work as well as starting up the direct market at a time where you had to go to a convention or a head shop to find "alternative" comics. [...] It's Eclipse, in my opinion, that established the framework for the creator contract that the rest of the industry followed.
    Kitchen Sink, Last Gasp, and Rip Off Press all preceded the founding of Eclipse by several years and continued publishing concurrently with Eclipse. I haven't looked at the contracts of these companies personally, so I may be wrong, but my understanding is that they each largely specialized in creator-owned comic books. As for the "direct market," all the comic book histories I've read credit that to Phil Seuling, half a decade before the founding of Eclipse.

If memory serves, DH began life as a licensed property comics publisher not a crusader for downtrodden comcis creators.
    Memory does not serve. Dark Horse was publishing Paul Chadwick's Concrete, Boris the Bear, and the anthology title "Dark Horse Presents" two years before they started doing "Aliens" licensed comics, which were then followed by the "Star Wars" books.

Quote Originally Posted by The Phantom Zune View Post
    Dark Horse was publishing Paul Chadwick's Concrete, Boris the Bear, and the anthology title "Dark Horse Presents" two years before they started doing "Aliens" licensed comics, which were then followed by the "Star Wars" books.
    I made a partial mistake here. They published their first "Godzilla" licensed books a year before "Aliens" (but they were still publishing creator owned stuff the year before that).

Quote Originally Posted by Angilas-Man View Post
    Plots may be resolved, but Mignola's commented that he'll be doing this book for the rest of his comics career.

... so, I expect Hellboy will be around for many years to come.
    thanks for the info.
    "Calm down, call Batman." - Greg Capullo