Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default EXCLUSIVE: Superman is "Doomed" in May Crossover Event

Writers Scott Lobdell, Greg Pak and Charles Soule team for "Superman: Doomed," a crossover event pitting the Man of Steel vs. Doomsday.

Full article here.

The power of the rainbow. jade_nova's Avatar

How many line wide events have there been in the Superman books recently?
    "Here's to me and here's to you. If we should ever disagree, then here's to me and to hell with you," William O. Astle 1905-2002

"Damn you, Harlot! Science and I know what we're doing," Reed Richards

http://captain-smiley.livejournal.com/-Here be Countdown summaries.

But Doomsday is objectively the worst Superman character ever. He's a single gimmick character than can be used in one story. Why keep him around? There are plenty of physical threats for Superman to face besides this walking plot device.
    Wolvie616 is Mozambiquey

I'm surprised Johns didn't kick off his run with this. Allowing Lobdell to take on this important story is like watching a kid running with scissors - it's probably going to be exciting, but could go incredibly wrong.

The Man of Steel must unleash insane levels of power in order to do the job, only to terrify the world he's saving. Beating Doomsday is only the beginning of this never-ending battle!"
    "Oh noes! Our awesome hero just pulled out an insane amount of power in order to save us all from a horrible monster! He's EEEEEEEEVIIIIIIILLLLL! Let's throw rocks at him and embrace a murdering sociopath as our REAL hero!"

Let's see: overhyped Doomsday battle, an ungrateful public who don't appreciate Superman saving their lives, YET ANOTHER government-owned "Anti-Superman Team" which includes one of Superman's closest allies (Steel), and all of this just segues into more hero-hating and villain glorifying.

Yup, I'll be passing on all Superman titles for the foreseeable future.
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
    -- Alfred Lord Tennyson --

Because Johns is going to soft reboot the character in the same way Lemire did for Green Arrow, this event is going to break everything down in the Superman group and allow Johns to build it back up on his own terms.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderLuthor View Post
    I'm surprised Johns didn't kick off his run with this. Allowing Lobdell to take on this important story
    I have serious doubts that Doomed can be really considered an "important" story. IMHO, it is just a cheap gimmick to keep the readers busy while they wait for Johns' arrival.
    And, oh my God, one of the artists is Lashley.

It will last only one month?
    "Perfection... sometimes it's our worst enemy. I tried to be perfect once... decided to just try to be better. Found a good way to start that... is by accepting who you are."

Quote Originally Posted by SNascimento View Post
    It will last only one month?
    I think April is part of it as well
    Action Comics, Batman/Superman, Justice League, Justice League of America, Supergirl, Superman, Superman: Unchained, Superman/Wonder Woman
    I like both SM/WW and Clois, crazy right?

Looks interesting
    Buy The Punisher

Sounds interesting, except for the Superman/WW part.
    Rehire Grant Morrison for Superman.
    Give Lois her own BOOKS.
    Keep Scott Lobdell in Superverse forever.
    5.7 Million Likes. Please contribute for more: https://www.facebook.com/superman

That Superman/Wonder Woman cover reminds me of that story some time after the Death storyline, where Superman started growing uncontrollably.
    Also, I wonder if him going through these changes has anything to do with the Batman/Superman #9 cover (even though it comes out 2 weeks earlier than the Doom event).

Finally a cross-over event I can get into. I hate chasing books in events like this and since I already collect all the Superman titles...it's easy for me to follow along. I definitely agree with a previous poster (Jonny_Anonymous) that this is an opportunity to give Superman a soft reboot under Johns' terms. Not a bad idea given that Superman started off the New 52 with horrible direction. I can't wait for this one to start.

This looks like a Superman story I might actually read. Superman is really having a rough time lately and it seems like Doomed will be about more than just Doomsday vs. Superman what with the Lois thing and then Superman turning into Doomsday...or something.

Also Metallo is...alive again somehow? Ultraman snorted the kryptonite that kept him alive so I guess Firestorm makes him another piece. Good guy Firestorm.

A little irritated with this, because I just started reading Pak's Acton Comics, and it's already been hijacked by a crossover. Ugh.