Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default EXCLUSIVE: Klaus Janson Discusses DC Return, Working with Johns, Romita Jr. on "Superman"

Klaus Janson discusses his role on the all-star "Superman" creative team with Geoff Johns and John Romita, Jr., and shares a message to Frank Miller.

Full article here.

Mountaineers Are Always FREE! Give me Liberty...

While in deference to some others; I DO like JRjr's style. While it is true that it hasn't been as 'tight' recently as it was back in the day when he did a phenomenal Spidey, as well as, a thunderous Thor; it is still quite good. Matter of fact, the examples here show considerable potential, I'm looking forward as the JRjr/Janson team continue to develop their style that will take Supes, I believe, soaring to new heights of greatness and glory. Welcome aboard guys.
    CaptainLiberty76

"The LESS some people know the MORE stubbornly they know it!"

"That which does not KILL us only serves to make us STRONGER!"

All I really took from this was that Janson's up to do a 30th anniversary comic with Frank in a few years.

I loved the work by John Romita's little boy when he was doing Iron Man and Bob Layton was inking--but eversince he changed his style to copy virtually every other popular artist of the day, I really can't stand Junior's pencils. Klaus Janson on the other hand has always been one of my favourite modern inkers and that's never changed; however, I'm afraid the comibinaion of Janson and Romita fils will just produce something that looks like a poor man's Frank Miller. And one Frank Miller is all this world needs.

It's too bad Curt Swan never had an offsrping that entered the comic book art arena. If there was a next gen artist thet I'd like to see doing Superman it would be a junior Swan.

That awful b&w sketch that keeps popping up looks strangely like JRJr's cover to the recent Michelinie Iron Man omnibus...

Optic Blast, Optic Blast B. Kuwanger's Avatar

If I were Frank I would do it just because Klaus asked. Glad to see he's still deep into comics.

Quote Originally Posted by An Ear In The Fireplace View Post
    John Romita's little boy

It's too bad Curt Swan never had an offsrping that entered the comic book art arena. If there was a next gen artist thet I'd like to see doing Superman it would be a junior Swan.
    As I doubt you're Romita Sr.'s age, that's all strangely demeaning. Why should the work of a grown man be tied to the career of his father? A Swan Jr. would have no obligation to the style of his father, either.
    4/9: Iron Fist, Flash Gordon, Doop, Magnus, Superboy, Shutter, Judge Dredd, Ghost Rider, Secret Avengers, X-Factor

*Shrug.* I was just being cute, not trying to be demeaning. But it's probably bad enough that I'm trying to be cute, so I'll take the hit. I just mean that we've had Kuberts and now Romitas, it would be interesting to see a next genner that actually has a legacy connection with Superman--if only for the curiosity factor. I'm sure that the sons do pay homage to their fathers. The second Romita (I'm not sure what else to call him--without confusing him with his father) was good when he had his own style--to me his art morphed into McFarlane, Larsen, Miller and now Simonson--so I would rather that he kept his original style and didn't try to be a different artist. But I guess any artist has the right to go in whatever direction they choose--and as a consumer I have the right to support the stuff I like.

Romita's style looks tighter here than on other titles. Looks like he's taking this seriously I'm sure Johns writing will play to his strengths.

Optic Blast, Optic Blast B. Kuwanger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by An Ear In The Fireplace View Post
    *Shrug.* I was just being cute, not trying to be demeaning. But it's probably bad enough that I'm trying to be cute, so I'll take the hit. I just mean that we've had Kuberts and now Romitas, it would be interesting to see a next genner that actually has a legacy connection with Superman--if only for the curiosity factor. I'm sure that the sons do pay homage to their fathers. The second Romita (I'm not sure what else to call him--without confusing him with his father) was good when he had his own style--to me his art morphed into McFarlane, Larsen, Miller and now Simonson--so I would rather that he kept his original style and didn't try to be a different artist. But I guess any artist has the right to go in whatever direction they choose--and as a consumer I have the right to support the stuff I like.
    I see. I just think there's a sad truth in that Romita Sr. is something like 90% guaranteed to come up when discussing his son. And it's always seemed to me like his style of from "homage" during his X-Men years to kind of a mash up of sources around maybe Man Without Fear.
    4/9: Iron Fist, Flash Gordon, Doop, Magnus, Superboy, Shutter, Judge Dredd, Ghost Rider, Secret Avengers, X-Factor

Ooh, did not know that Klaus Janson was part of the JRJr deal. Very nice.

Would love to see him do some Batman again too. (DEATH AND THE MAIDENS holds up very well with his pencil art...)

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Walsh View Post
    Ooh, did not know that Klaus Janson was part of the JRJr deal. Very nice.

Would love to see him do some Batman again too. (DEATH AND THE MAIDENS holds up very well with his pencil art...)
    I don't know. As solid as Janson has been on JRJR for two decades (and as bad as Palmer has been on Kickass), I feel that JRJR needs a fresh take on his Superman run; someone who'll add some new flair to the pencils and to clean up some of the flaws. That being said, I can see why Janson was picked-dependable, quality, and a workhorse.

I really enjoy what Janson does over Romita jr.s pencils. Not a fan of that new superman suit though. I think it goes against the aesthetic JR/JR and janson have and it will be interesting to see how they adapt to it or if they modify the suit in time.

The big news here, Janson called out Frank Miller!
    My first impulse about the prospect of Miller/Janson together again is complete excitement. Then i remember I read they had a complete falling out over DKR issue 3 and refused to work together again. They did collaborate on a cover for the 10th anniversary edition hardcover of DKR with lackluster results. The magic was gone. It was replaced by a better FM solo cover (one of his best covers ever IMHO) for the mass market paperback.

Aesthetically FM/Janson are a world apart these days. For Miller write and pencil a comic with janson on finishes again but given how little sequential art FM produces these days it doesn't seem realistic Miller/Janson will ever collaborate as pencil/inker team again. Perhaps Frank would write a story for Klaus to draw. Klaus is a great artist in his own right and his work in recent years has been his best but i don't think it would generate the same amount of interest and excitement as if they worked together on the art.