Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default REVIEW: She-Hulk, #1

Charles Soule and Javier Pulido's "She-Hulk" #1 leans a little too much on the lawyer at the expense of the superhero, but overall it's a strong opening for a character well deserving of the spotlight.

Full review here.

Administrator Expletive Deleted's Avatar

It was a lot of fun. I loved the little continuity touches, like using Stark's lawyers using his tortured corporate history to dodge lawsuits. Also, Jonas Harrow shout-out!

Pulido didn't have a lot to work with in a pretty talky story, so I was pleased to see him work in some funky layouts.
    Expletive Deleted

I'm into it - I think its super smart they moved her to SF with Daredevil for some lawyer-fu!

Honestly, I thought this was the strongest #1 of Marvel NOW! or All-New Marvel NOW! thus far. Easily 5 stars for me. I didn't even notice the lack of action because the story and dialogue were so perfect. Also, the action that was there was very memorable and not just your run-of-the-mill superhero fight. I also really appreciated the seeds sewn for future issues. I assume this won't be the last we see of Legal and I'm intrigued by what's in the "blue file". I honestly only picked this up because I wanted to support a book with a female lead, but it's moving right to the top of my pull list.

FF purist-snob

Quote Originally Posted by Expletive Deleted View Post
    It was a lot of fun. I loved the little continuity touches, like using Stark's lawyers using his tortured corporate history to dodge lawsuits. Also, Jonas Harrow shout-out!

Pulido didn't have a lot to work with in a pretty talky story, so I was pleased to see him work in some funky layouts.
    Look at the two panels in the bar with Jenn and her client before and after the case. The dress and pose of both of them tells an awful lot and Pulido pulled this off quite well.
    "Cant say it better than CaptCleghorn." - RolandJP

A Nerd for All Seasons

Great review. I loved this issue, and personally I'm just fine with more character work and clever legal stories.

Quick note, though: the excellent colorist Muntsa Vicente is a woman. http://www.muntsavicente.com/bio.html

I read the issue and rather enjoyed it (a 9 out of 10 from me).

The writing was good, good portrayal of the character, nice sense of humor, and I do like how the issue was another done in one story like Black Widow's first issue was. The art is, of course, my problem with the series. It fits with the tone of the story and I can see why people liked it, but I genuinely do not care much for it and I find the faces to be bad a lot of the things. Still definitely worth a look.

Awesome. The writing was absolutely Fantastic. The art was okay, but it didn't even bother me.

BANNED

I have written some thoughts about it. I must say that while I found this good, I thought it was a bit overwritten.

I cannot emphasize how much I enjoyed this issue. Marvel is really knocking it out of the park with all of these new series. Soule tells a tale that captures She-Hulk's character perfectly and uses his own knowledge of the legal field to flesh out Shulkie's professional prowess. Pulido is excellent on art - the sequence when She-Hulk visits the eighteenth visually throws the reader right into the frustrating maze of legal-ese. Seriously, if the words were removed from those panels, a reader would still feel every ounce of frustration that She-Hulk feels just from the art. This title is a must-add to any pull list.

The Dominoed Daredoll batGRRRl4ever's Avatar

I thought it was a bit overwritten in parts, but overall a great first issue. SO very different in feel from her breaking the 4th wall days, but still very enjoyable. I too think Soule needs to find a bit better balance between lawyer/super hero, but perhaps he is going to emphasize different aspects of her in different issues.
    Pull list:
    Batgirl, Inhuman, Justice League Beyond 2.0, Letter 44, She-Hulk, SM/WW, Swamp Thing, Ultimate FF (lol, 5 of my 8 titles all written by SOULE)

I thought it was an excellent first issue establishing a solid basis for what's to come in the series. I'm not sure I understand the "over written" complaint...it wasn't a novel and there was still room for the art, so it's not something I understand. Could you elaborate on it? I am genuinely curious.

The only real fault I have is that I am not a fan of Pulido's art. I find it simplistic bordering on amateurish in places. However, that being said...I dont really know of too many artists that would have worked on this book. Amanda Connor is one of the few...well maybe even the only one who comes to mind. (And how awesome would it be to get some issues done by Amanda??!!)

A very good issue over all. I definitely look forward to the next issue!

Good review, however is there any way to change the scaling to 1-10 on these reviews. Reviews 1-5 are extremely annoying and rather pointless. What is... 1-5.

Guys and Ladies have been rating each other using the 1-10 scale for a long time now, for a reason. Because it relates one's hotness in a most satisfying way and because... boomerangs.
    Yup, totally considering getting that shirt.

The Dominoed Daredoll batGRRRl4ever's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OBrian View Post
    I'm not sure I understand the "over written" complaint...it wasn't a novel and there was still room for the art, so it's not something I understand. Could you elaborate on it? I am genuinely curious.
    See Soule's work on the independent title Letter 44 and you can see that he writes this title incredibly intelligent, but doesn't overdue it with the sheer dirth of prose given in the first issue of She-Hulk. But Soule is going from a more legal angle for this title, as he likes to make sure that he is writing each of his titles differently. So I simply need to adjust my expectations for this book, as I still really like it despite the overdoing it a tad with the written word, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by OBrian View Post
    The only real fault I have is that I am not a fan of Pulido's art. I find it simplistic bordering on amateurish in places.
    I found the art here to be REALLY refreshing. I am sick and tired of every other artist trying to ape Jim Lee's hyper-masculine/swimsuit model excessively realistic approach to comics. That this was more pop-art was so nice to see as a change of pace and really appealed to me.
    Pull list:
    Batgirl, Inhuman, Justice League Beyond 2.0, Letter 44, She-Hulk, SM/WW, Swamp Thing, Ultimate FF (lol, 5 of my 8 titles all written by SOULE)