Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default REVIEW: Batman #28

Flying in the face of expectations, Scott Snyder and Dustin Nguyen take readers along for a sneak peek at "Batman Eternal" and throw some extra surprises into "Batman" #28.

Full review here.

Still don't get it.

i'm sorry, but if giving this book that many stars even after it's a forced tie in to another story that holds no bearing on the current, and an interruption so jarring, with art faaaar inferior to greg capulo's.....if that doesn't prove how far up snyder's butt cbr is i don't know what does.

Quote Originally Posted by BHJ View Post
    i'm sorry, but if giving this book that many stars even after it's a forced tie in to another story that holds no bearing on the current, and an interruption so jarring, with art faaaar inferior to greg capulo's.....if that doesn't prove how far up snyder's butt cbr is i don't know what does.
    Or it could be that your tastes don't line up with the vast majority of people regarding this issue. On pretty much every fan site and comment board, which usually skew incredibly negative, this issue was loved. So maybe it's you

Aside from the art, I don't understand this issues high rating at all. We interrupt our ongoing year long origin story (!) (that's been mostly good), for a glorified advertisement that is completely unnecessary. Was it even a full issue with the American Vampire preview in the back? Some casual reader friends of mine felt pretty alienated by this issue, not understanding why Zero Year wasn't continuing and confused on when this issue was supposed to take place.
    I don't even understand the point of this issue from a sales standpoint either. Batman is routinely DC's most popular book, Batman Eternal is sure to sell very well by their standards, so why devote an whole issue to teasing moments from the END of that story? I love Harper Row, but are there that many Bat-Fans clamoring to find out how she eventually becomes Bluebird? I don't know. In isolation this issue was decent, solid art with an ok story that I assume will be better fleshed out by the end of 2014. Putting this out and in the middle of the Zero Year run, though, is just frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by JokersNuts View Post
    Aside from the art, I don't understand this issues high rating at all. We interrupt our ongoing year long origin story (!) (that's been mostly good), for a glorified advertisement that is completely unnecessary. Was it even a full issue with the American Vampire preview in the back? Some casual reader friends of mine felt pretty alienated by this issue, not understanding why Zero Year wasn't continuing and confused on when this issue was supposed to take place.
    I don't even understand the point of this issue from a sales standpoint either. Batman is routinely DC's most popular book, Batman Eternal is sure to sell very well by their standards, so why devote an whole issue to teasing moments from the END of that story? I love Harper Row, but are there that many Bat-Fans clamoring to find out how she eventually becomes Bluebird? I don't know. In isolation this issue was decent, solid art with an ok story that I assume will be better fleshed out by the end of 2014. Putting this out and in the middle of the Zero Year run, though, is just frustrating.
    Well, Capullo has been cranking out double-sized issues every few months and there is one upcoming. Every run has fill-in issues (hell, if its Hawkeye it's every other issue), and this was a very smart one - jumping forward and giving people a taste of where they are going and Bats next big event. The issue also featured a new character, a return of a fan favorite and a turn of events for a very prominent rogue/lover/wife sometimes. Sorry you didn't like it, but I'm sure they aren't losing sleep over it - it did exactly what they wanted as now people can't wait for Eternal

Wow, I'm glad I read the issue before I saw that star-rating, otherwise it would have annoyed me going in that once again CBR is giving a ridiculously hyperbolic rating to a Batman comic full of gimmicks and rereretreads of other recent storylines.

But in all honesty I came in here to say that I thought this was the best issue of the series in a LONG time. I'm usually a Snyder detractor, but in this issue there was just nothing to get annoyed with in terms of writing.

For once the issue wasn't overwritten.

For once it wasn't filled with anywhere from 2 to 5 unnecessary longwinded monologues.

For once it just told a story in and of itself without a bunch of self-indulgent moments full of shock, awe, and overly nostalgic cuteness.

This was just a straightforward comic that worked very well for what it was. 4.5 stars is ridiculous, but I wouldn't have a problem with someone giving it a 4. I'd probably only give it a 3 or 3.25 myself, but it was okay.

All of the negative aspects really only have to do with the publishing context/price-point or whatever. Yeah, I know, it's a glorified lead-in to another series that will cost fans another $12 a month. And yeah, I know, it was only 22 pages for $3.99, and it only took like 5 minutes to read. But for what it is, in terms of what's there on the page, I'd call this "good". The art was good and the story got to the point. I wish there was a genuine 7- or 8-page backup of original material like there used to be in this comic--but oh well.

I don't mind this, man. The very mention of "Fan-favorite Harper Row" usually has me rolling my eyes (not rolling them hard, but still rolling them), yet she was perfectly fine in this. The only nitpick I have is that once again her brother seems to be cast in a "poor me victim victim victim damsel in distress" role, which has gotten really tiresome; but on the other hand, maybe it's him in the shadows helping with the computer stuff. So if Cullen is finally taking a stand for himself and doing something that doesn't revolve around endless victimhood, then that's a great step forward.

So there's my review this time around, and I suppose some Snyder Super Fans will probably say that it's full of backhanded compliments, but whatever. I'd give it 3.25 stars and I'd say it was the best issue of Batman in basically a year.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderLuthor View Post
    Or it could be that your tastes don't line up with the vast majority of people regarding this issue. On pretty much every fan site and comment board, which usually skew incredibly negative, this issue was loved. So maybe it's you
    i find it funny you say this and nobody so far has anything good to say about it.

Quote Originally Posted by BHJ View Post
    i find it funny you say this and nobody so far has anything good to say about it.
    That's because it summed up things pretty well. I'm sure if you look around you'll see how much people liked the issue. Oh wait, maybe you should look at the review you griped about. Or you could look at 3 other threads on this board. Here, this will help: http://forums.comicbookresources.com...r-in-Batman-28
    Last edited by AlexanderLuthor; 02-13-2014 at 06:28 PM.

Batman Eternal's gonna be pretty sweet. I may not like much of the New 52 still, but Snyder's Batman run has been one of the bright spots for me.

Now its time for the final act of Zero Year! :D

Earth Fun (Party Earth) Mr_Wayne's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderLuthor View Post
    You gonna be defending Snyder this entire thread or can other people write too?

Quote Originally Posted by DarkBeast View Post
    Wow, I'm glad I read the issue before I saw that star-rating, otherwise it would have annoyed me going in that once again CBR is giving a ridiculously hyperbolic rating to a Batman comic full of gimmicks and rereretreads of other recent storylines.

But in all honesty I came in here to say that I thought this was the best issue of the series in a LONG time. I'm usually a Snyder detractor, but in this issue there was just nothing to get annoyed with in terms of writing.

For once the issue wasn't overwritten.

For once it wasn't filled with anywhere from 2 to 5 unnecessary longwinded monologues.

For once it just told a story in and of itself without a bunch of self-indulgent moments full of shock, awe, and overly nostalgic cuteness.

This was just a straightforward comic that worked very well for what it was. 4.5 stars is ridiculous, but I wouldn't have a problem with someone giving it a 4. I'd probably only give it a 3 or 3.25 myself, but it was okay.

All of the negative aspects really only have to do with the publishing context/price-point or whatever. Yeah, I know, it's a glorified lead-in to another series that will cost fans another $12 a month. And yeah, I know, it was only 22 pages for $3.99, and it only took like 5 minutes to read. But for what it is, in terms of what's there on the page, I'd call this "good". The art was good and the story got to the point. I wish there was a genuine 7- or 8-page backup of original material like there used to be in this comic--but oh well.

I don't mind this, man. The very mention of "Fan-favorite Harper Row" usually has me rolling my eyes (not rolling them hard, but still rolling them), yet she was perfectly fine in this. The only nitpick I have is that once again her brother seems to be cast in a "poor me victim victim victim damsel in distress" role, which has gotten really tiresome; but on the other hand, maybe it's him in the shadows helping with the computer stuff. So if Cullen is finally taking a stand for himself and doing something that doesn't revolve around endless victimhood, then that's a great step forward.

So there's my review this time around, and I suppose some Snyder Super Fans will probably say that it's full of backhanded compliments, but whatever. I'd give it 3.25 stars and I'd say it was the best issue of Batman in basically a year.
    Here I thought I was the only one who thought these things. I have to prepare myself to read Snyder's Batman books. Not that he's a bad writer, he's just unnecessarily long-winded (example: James Gordon overly explaining why he wears a trench coat) and his characters reasons or motives are sometimes silly (example: Bruce Wayne disliking James Gordon "because of" said coat). I rarely chime in on the these threads so I don't know what the majority or minority opinion of Snyder is on CBR. I have noticed that they do rate him absurdly high in their reviews sometimes. When I read his Batman stuff I have to remind myself that I'm in 2014 and no this is not a modern take on how people use to write characters in the 60's (over explanations, groan inducing dialogue from the villain that explains why they "hate" someone, etc). It doesn't help that I need at least 3 or 4 issues to have released before I can dive into the story, because like you said, 22 pages at $3.99 only goes but so far. Overall though this book should have gotten a 3.5 out of 5 stars.

Also... Where are all these fans of Harper Row? Since when do a few fans count as "fan favorite"?
    I've always wanted to diversify the DCU, but usually when I do it, James Robinson comes along and kills them all. -Grant Morrison

I don't think it was a spectacular issue, but I don't think it was meant to be. It was made as a teaser for Batman Eternal, and as such, it got me interested, without having what usually annoys me in Snyder's work, as Darkbeast pointed out.
    I've got just one more thing to say,
    "P.S. I hate you"

I'm guessing Tynion scripted?

Thats why we didn't get a lesson on Bluebird feeding habits?
    "Calm down, call Batman." - Greg Capullo