Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default PREVIEW: Skyman, #2

Still trying to overcome his fear of flying after a plane crash that nearly killed him, Sgt. Eric Reid doesn't have time for PTSD as the new Skyman! The superhero's life isn't made any easier by the confrontations with his handler and the shocking number of bugs plaguing his suit. And matters are made even worse as he discovers someone's trying to sabotage the suit and smear his good name!

Full article here.

Quote Originally Posted by CBR News View Post
    Still trying to overcome his fear of flying after a plane crash that nearly killed him, Sgt. Eric Reid doesn't have time for PTSD as the new Skyman! The superhero's life isn't made any easier by the confrontations with his handler and the shocking number of bugs plaguing his suit. And matters are made even worse as he discovers someone's trying to sabotage the suit and smear his good name!

Full article here.
    Superrifc comic...cant wait!!!!

I must admit....issue #2 has made me want to stick with this title . #1 left me with mixed emotions but #2 definitely made up for it.

Issue #2 was horrible and made me sad for the prospects of this title.

I thought issue #1 was horrid, cliche writing with a protagonist in the 21st century. I got issue #2 hoping for better but was let down.

In a world that alleges to want us all, humanity as a race, to be better than our past has been the thrust of issue #1 was "Pick him cause he's black in response to what one white Skyman did". That's not to say that Eric Reid can't, wouldn't or will not be a great Skyman. It's just glaringly obvious he was picked FIRST and FOREMOST for the color of his skin NOT for the content of his character. I recall a man having a dream where the latter would be viewed first but I guess we aren't to that dream yet.

This issue we have a military man, whose flown missions, seen combat and presumably engaged military targets. Eric Reid is not some Private First Class where the methodology of combat plans are foreign to him. Nor should he be so naive to understand what a cover story is. However, he gets his feelings hurt when the truth of the matter reveals itself...you're the patsy, the cover story. So, while the Skyman suit is being used by a "preferred choice" to run missions against terrorist targets Eric finds out some civilians were killed during this. It's sad that happens but military protocols do factor in those things, something a seasoned fighter pilot should be accustomed to. Instead he lashes out like suddenly this is unacceptable. What?

Eric Reid no doubt has what it takes to be a good or great Skyman. However, the situation in which he's become Skyman and his handling of the truth are not the actions of a hero I see as really taking hold with readers long term. Even factoring in his PTSD.

I'm disappointed with this title the most of the Dark Horse PBS books.
    "Freedom is the Right of ALL Sentient Beings" - Optimus Prime
    Twitter:http://twitter.com/#!/CaptainCraig1

I actually agree with your post yet despite that i am interested in the title enough that i'm looking forward to issue #3 to see how the character develops. I was being nice when i said that issue #1 left me with mixed emotions. Truthfully those emotions leaned towards the negative but i wanted to be open minded and give the character a chance despite his origins.

Issue #2 was better but this was solely due to my perception of the characters actions. Unprofessional / naive? Perhaps but i support cliched comic book morality ("Innocents were killed? What about the children!?!"). I also read an interview with the writer that mentioned the character was , in essence , on a path of discovery in that he would discover that yes he really does have what it takes to be a hero. The only reason that path is slightly unique (or that the main characters emotions are justified) in this title is that the character is crippled to a degree.

There is a lot that alerted my "do not want" radar but there was just enough to keep me mildly curious and looking forward to issue #3. I don't know how long that will continue though as ultimately i prefer characters without built in crutches.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    Issue #2 was horrible and made me sad for the prospects of this title.

I thought issue #1 was horrid, cliche writing with a protagonist in the 21st century. I got issue #2 hoping for better but was let down.

In a world that alleges to want us all, humanity as a race, to be better than our past has been the thrust of issue #1 was "Pick him cause he's black in response to what one white Skyman did". That's not to say that Eric Reid can't, wouldn't or will not be a great Skyman. It's just glaringly obvious he was picked FIRST and FOREMOST for the color of his skin NOT for the content of his character. I recall a man having a dream where the latter would be viewed first but I guess we aren't to that dream yet.

This issue we have a military man, whose flown missions, seen combat and presumably engaged military targets. Eric Reid is not some Private First Class where the methodology of combat plans are foreign to him. Nor should he be so naive to understand what a cover story is. However, he gets his feelings hurt when the truth of the matter reveals itself...you're the patsy, the cover story. So, while the Skyman suit is being used by a "preferred choice" to run missions against terrorist targets Eric finds out some civilians were killed during this. It's sad that happens but military protocols do factor in those things, something a seasoned fighter pilot should be accustomed to. Instead he lashes out like suddenly this is unacceptable. What?

Eric Reid no doubt has what it takes to be a good or great Skyman. However, the situation in which he's become Skyman and his handling of the truth are not the actions of a hero I see as really taking hold with readers long term. Even factoring in his PTSD.

I'm disappointed with this title the most of the Dark Horse PBS books.
    Last edited by Customizer; 02-27-2014 at 11:01 PM.