Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default "Gotham" Casts Ben McKenzie as James Gordon

"The O.C." and "Southland" alum will star in the Fox drama that will also follow a pre-teen Bruce Wayne and the rise of Batman's greatest villains.

Full article here.

He was terrible in Year One. This casting does not inspire confidence.
    "The truth, that no matter how I feel, as long as I breathe, there is hope!" - Peter Parker

Quote Originally Posted by Charagon View Post
    He was terrible in Year One. This casting does not inspire confidence.
    He's terrific in live-action. This casting inspires much confidence.

He has grown a lot as an actor from his early roles, and everything he's been in he has done really well. I am very stoked.

um, Batman happened first then the villains

How can there be villains when bats is 12, 13,14?

Is Catwoman a 14 year old prostitute?

I'm just bullshitting. I will be watching this.

But I wish they just jumped in to straight Batman with all his wonderful supporting players.

I guess I will have to stick with Person of Interest (every character on the show has a Gotham analog, some close, some stretching it a bit, but its there if you squint)
    "Calm down, call Batman." - Greg Capullo

Quote Originally Posted by Trey View Post
    um, Batman happened first then the villains

How can there be villains when bats is 12, 13,14?

I'm just bullshitting. I will be watching this.

But I wish they just jumped in to straight Batman with all his wonderful supporting players.

I guess I will have to stick with Person of Interest (every character on the show has a Gotham analog, some close, some stretching it a bit, but its there if you squint)
    I don't know. I kind of like the idea that this is a Batman-related show that doesn't actually focus on Batman (or even have him in it).
    Though that isn't to say I wouldn't like a proper Batman show as well.

The whole villain-age thing has made me wonder too though.
    I'm not sure I like the idea of them just using Batman's villains as Gordon's villains at his age range.
    If we're to believe that the Bruce Wayne in Gotham grows up to be Batman, then his iconic villains will be near geriatric by the time he takes up the cowl.

Never heard of him. What is he good in?
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by Ood Omega View Post
    Never heard of him. What is he good in?
    Southland.

I like it. There's a very tough yet likable quality to him. He was good in Southland, Junebug, and even the OC...my girlfriend watched it back in the day, so it's not my fault, guys.

Quote Originally Posted by NexusTenebrare View Post
    The whole villain-age thing has made me wonder too though.
    I'm not sure I like the idea of them just using Batman's villains as Gordon's villains at his age range.
    If we're to believe that the Bruce Wayne in Gotham grows up to be Batman, then his iconic villains will be near geriatric by the time he takes up the cowl.
    Nearly all of them are at least 10 to 20 years older than he is. It makes lots of sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Trey View Post
    In the post Crisis/pre Flashpoint universe she probably was, we just didn't meet her until a few years later.

A series where none of the cops use their guns and the villains escape prison all the time. This could be funny.
    Won 6 Awesome Awards, 2Cool awards, 2 internets, a Raging storm and funniest video award
    My RPG Site!

Certain villains can be done rather easily without Batman. For instance, Penguin, Black Mask, Falcone, Maroni, etc can all be simply crime bosses (which is what they are in the comics). Zsasz is a serial killer, so he's easy to do on a cop show. Heck, you can even do the Riddler as a bored genius looking to match wits with the Gotham PD. McKenzie was great in Southland, so this an excellent choice.

Well, several of his villains do appear to be as much as ten years older than Bats. Penguin, Freeze, Two-Face. I could buy 22 year old versions of these facing Gordon while Bats is 12.

Elder Member

The problem isn't with the villains' age; it has to do with the underlying psychology of the relationship between Batman and his rogues gallery. The way it's always been presented is that the reason Gotham is overrun with crazy, costumed nut jobs is because Batman is there. He attracts/inspires/triggers them. There were no costumed crazies before Batman, but when this guy started dressing up as a bat to fight mobsters and bank robbers, it altered the whole landscape of criminal activity in Gotham. Batman became the standard, so they had to beat him t his game. If you invert that so the villains were there first, it fundamentally changes who Batman is. No longer is he the guy who was so committed to/obsessed with destroying crime that he took it to crazy extremes. Now he's the guy who's responding to crazy extremes in a proportionate way. It basically makes batman seem more rational for doing what he does. And who wants that?
    Dr. Jackson: Who makes a movie out of a series that only lasted 3 episodes?

Teal'c: It allegedly performed well on DVD

Looking forward to the day we actually get a Batman show.