Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default PREVIEW: Fatale, #20

NEW STORY ARC!
    Nicolas Lash is in the deepest trouble possible, and there's only one person who can save him now... the problem is, trouble is her business.
    And don't forget all the back page extras you can only find in FATALE's single issues every month!

Full article here.

I really enjoy this book because it is a very interesting story. However, it has been meandering along for so long that I barely remember what happened in the first ten issues and now it is bringing that storyline back in. I think this will read much better as a collection than a monthly title. I'm debating on holding off on reading this until I have time to reread the series or keep reading monthly while trying to remember the details of the first couple arcs.
    But let justice run down like water, And righteousness like a mighty stream.

I wanted to live this title so much that the fact that I don't fills me with hate and shame.

I thought the purpose of it would to subvert the archtype of the Femme Fatale, and having her powers forced onto her by a cult is an interesting approach. But we don't really know anything about the cult and why the keep needing make Femme Fatales. Instead we get various stories of Jo and her predecessors using her powers with destructive and uncontrollable results. It fed more like a support of the archtype than a subversive of it.

And I'm so sick of not knowing the mythology they keep hinting at. The owl tying a ribbon around the world. The book in the obscure language that drives most readers insane. I feel like I need to get a little more of that to make the Jo seduces a guy and hates herself for it scenes not feel so numbingly repetitive.

I hoped that since this is the opening of the final arc there would be more of the payoff. But while there was a good resolve to the last cliffhanger, and a newish power of Jo's (with an old consequence) I am not alieved of my frustrations.

The type of acclaim this gets makes me feel illiterate for not liking it. Like I wouldn't have the complaints I have if I read it correctly.
    Last edited by LostinFandom; 02-13-2014 at 09:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cap10nate View Post
    I really enjoy this book because it is a very interesting story. However, it has been meandering along for so long that I barely remember what happened in the first ten issues and now it is bringing that storyline back in. I think this will read much better as a collection than a monthly title. I'm debating on holding off on reading this until I have time to reread the series or keep reading monthly while trying to remember the details of the first couple arcs.
    lol, I've just got up to date from #1 to present and was thinking it would have read better monthly. Found it very repetitive in one big chunk.
    Meh!