Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default "Harley Quinn" Maintains Top 10 Rank; Image Accounts for 10% of the Direct Market in January

"Batman," "Detective" lead the charts, "Harley Quinn" remains in the Top 10 and Image accounts for over 10% of all comics sold in January.

Full article here.

Good to see Marvel hold their own in today's climate. :)
    Marvel : Moon Knight, Savage Hulk (6/25), Original Sin (5/7)

DC : Aquaman, Aquaman & the Others

Harley is surprising me. It seems more fans than DC realized have been clamoring for a more traditional take on the character.

Forever Evil 5 being delayed until February really hurt DC this month or this would have been essentially tied (assuming it sold around its usual 100,000) copies. Once DC catches up with Marvel in double shipping - going weekly with Batman and Justice League - it will be a really interesting race. To be clear, I hope both companies and Image do well.

Congrats to Image.

I find that I've been getting a quite a few of their comics as of lately.

Does anyone have a link to Diamond's full list, not just the top 10?

Nice to see Image hit double digits, but with the HUGE drop over from both last month and last year, I suspect it more that DC (especially) and Marvel are selling less, rather then Image selling more.
    Like Kyle Rayner? Check out my classic review thread:

http://forums.comicbookresources.com...s-by-Wildfire)

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet-Batman View Post
    Harley is surprising me. It seems more fans than DC realized have been clamoring for a more traditional take on the character.
    Perhaps, but she's still not dressing... and I realize how ridiculous this sounds when directed at Harley Quinn, but... traditionally. Plus, I don't think there's anything traditional about the title. It's the old "All New, All Different" trope. I don't recall her ever being a landlady in the pre-Flashpoint continuity. However, judging by the December sales of Superior Spider-man (76,618 average between #23 & #24) and Justice League of America #10 (65,678), I'd say Harley has shed at least 25% in the first month. Harley Quinn #1's sales were 92,153. First issue sales are always artificially high, but I tried to use two titles in the top 10 that would have a steady sales number, not something influenced by external forces. Avengers #24.NOW sold over 100,000 copies, but I don't think #25 did anywhere near that since it's dropped from the #2 spot to the #9 spot. Plus, that would mean hige numbers for January, and I don't think that many books hit six figures. I don't know what .NOW means, since I don't read Marvel at all, but I'm guessing that's some sort of crossover or something. Even so, both JLofA issues in question are Forever Evil tie-ins, so that's at least a constant between the December and January issues.

Quote Originally Posted by AppleJuice View Post
    Does anyone have a link to Diamond's full list, not just the top 10?
    ICv2 usually has a great format, and this index goes back for years. They don't have the full list yet, probably early next week.

King of the Dragons Mister Ferro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jhfrail View Post
    Perhaps, but she's still not dressing... and I realize how ridiculous this sounds when directed at Harley Quinn, but... traditionally. Plus, I don't think there's anything traditional about the title. It's the old "All New, All Different" trope. I don't recall her ever being a landlady in the pre-Flashpoint continuity. However, judging by the December sales of Superior Spider-man (76,618 average between #23 & #24) and Justice League of America #10 (65,678), I'd say Harley has shed at least 25% in the first month. Harley Quinn #1's sales were 92,153. First issue sales are always artificially high, but I tried to use two titles in the top 10 that would have a steady sales number, not something influenced by external forces. Avengers #24.NOW sold over 100,000 copies, but I don't think #25 did anywhere near that since it's dropped from the #2 spot to the #9 spot. Plus, that would mean hige numbers for January, and I don't think that many books hit six figures. I don't know what .NOW means, since I don't read Marvel at all, but I'm guessing that's some sort of crossover or something. Even so, both JLofA issues in question are Forever Evil tie-ins, so that's at least a constant between the December and January issues.

ICv2 usually has a great format, and this index goes back for years. They don't have the full list yet, probably early next week.
    I think you must have forgotten that Harley Quinn #0 was the first issue to be released. It debuted with 114,212 units and #1 had 92,153 units last month for a decline of 19.31%.

They call me Mr. Pip! the4thpip's Avatar

It's odd to see more Marvel trades on the graphic novel list than DC, could be they're catching up in the collected editions field. Usually they just dominate the single issues market.
    My blog.

We struggled against apartheid in South Africa, supported by people the world over, because black people were being blamed and made to suffer for something we could do nothing about; our very skins. It is the same with sexual orientation. It is a given.
    - Desmond Tutu

Getting married? Check http://www.fandgweddings.com/

Crazy that Harley is so popular. I mean I expected it to be top 20 but no idea why its grown so much. The Bruce Timm legacy lives on.

Quote Originally Posted by jhfrail View Post
    Perhaps, but she's still not dressing... and I realize how ridiculous this sounds when directed at Harley Quinn, but... traditionally.
    Harley's never going to dress "traditionally" again. The Arkham series style costume is what she wears now.

Quote Originally Posted by Megaharrison View Post
    Crazy that Harley is so popular. I mean I expected it to be top 20 but no idea why its grown so much. The Bruce Timm legacy lives on.
    Well, even Aquaman managed to outsell every Marvelbook for months. Harley Quinn issue 2 was ordered by retailers before issue 0 was sold to the readers. Give it 3 more issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Ferro View Post
    I think you must have forgotten that Harley Quinn #0 was the first issue to be released. It debuted with 114,212 units and #1 had 92,153 units last month for a decline of 19.31%.
    No, I didn't forget. I was unclear, sorry. When I said "first issue," I meant "#1" In the grand scheme of comic books, 99.9% of all titles start with a #1 on the cover. Most things that have a #0, #1/2, #-1, et cetera, are published later. The casual passer-by on the rack might still pick up a #1 just because it's a #1 with the thought that it's the first. Most people don't actually think of numeric sequences starting with #0, even if that issue is published first. When I was in junior high, I knew someone who collected #1's. It didn't matter what it was, he just liked having the first issues, even though he never bought anything else in the series. So those people are out there, too. We know that the sales for #1 issues is higher because it's a #1. All other factors have been eliminated. It doesn't matter who the character is, the creative team, the publisher, whatever... sales drop after #1. How much varies, but it's the rare exception that has increases with #2. You want to know what something is really going to sell, look at #13. Sales tend to level out after a year, unless something big happens like a crossover, a "round" number, or a greatly hyped new creative team.

Also, there was a separately orderable sketch cover for Harley Quinn #0. I wouldn't be surprised if that increased sales more than the #1 effect, so that without that cover, sales wouldn't have been as high.

Quote Originally Posted by MNM View Post
    Harley's never going to dress "traditionally" again. The Arkham series style costume is what she wears now.
    Nothing is "never going to happen again," certainly not anything related to the costume. A couple years after Burton's films, Batman started sporting an all black costume sans undershorts. The shorts came back, the gray came back, the yellow oval got dropped. The yellow oval came back, then got dropped again. Poison Ivy had green skin for a period of time, now she's Caucasian again. The influence of those games will wane. Someone will put her back in her classic costume eventually. Actually, someone already did. Dustin Nguyen uses it in Li'l Gotham. Not a title in continuity to be sure, but that shows that this costume is not a corporate mandate. But really, one of the biggest things that fans have been clamoring for Harley to do is not dress like a cliché prostitute. To that end, I didn't understand how this title reflects fan wishes for a traditional take that DC didn't realize, per Scarlet-Batman's comment.

Nothing is "never going to happen again," certainly not anything related to the costume.
    We'll see then wont we. Just dont be expecting Harley, in any main DC comic (ie not lil' Gotham) to revert back the the old costume.