Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default REVIEW: Loki: Agent of Asgard, #1

Asgard's least trustworthy secret agent crosses paths with the Avengers in Al Ewing and Lee Garbett's "Loki: Agent of Asgard" #1.

Full review here.

Not very spoilery review:

I thought it was great. I guess I was a little cynical - as were many - going into it, because it was showing signs of obviously trying to appeal to a movie audience. Per se there is nothing wrong with that, but I thought that continuity might be thrown out with it. Having read it and read a couple of recent interviews with the creators, my fears have been somewhat allayed. Loki's uncomfortable, ugly (lol) past is most definitely being explored. Kid Loki's fate is according to Al Ewing, "the crime that cannot be forgiven", which is something recent followers of 616 Loki's story would really like to see addressed more.

Love the gods being creatures of story, and the description of Loki "burning" was actually pretty creepy and effective. The cliffhanger was a good 'un. Also, great exchange between Natasha and Clint, and Thor and Loki. Yeah, not perfect but if the quality keeps up like this, I'll be very happy.

It bored me. Too aimed at people that only counts with the movie knowledge. Won't keep reading.
    Check my YT channel where I display the comics I can afford from time to time

Beyond The Gutter(Loss)

Loved it. Thought it was both funny and bittersweet. Loved the concept of Loki being able to do favors in order to erase some of his more unsavory tales from history. That idea has a whole Neil Gaiman "American Gods" feel to it. Will definitely continue with it.

Loved it too!

Quote Originally Posted by Mathu87 View Post
    It bored me. Too aimed at people that only counts with the movie knowledge. Won't keep reading.
    Ah. More fake fandom complaints.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Love this book.

Enjoyed this quite a bit, but am dubious of the ending. Hope they commit.

I personally would've given this issue 5 stars. SO entertaining!!
    dazzler_emma frost_cyclops_angela_longshot
    red hood_harley quinn_deadshot_aresenal_deathstroke

Quote Originally Posted by gwangung View Post
    Ah. More fake fandom complaints.
    It bored me, and I found it too aimed at that audience, even if you want to accept it or not, and beyond that, it didn't entertain me at all. The art was nice, though. But, hey, I belong to the fake fandom for the fact of not liking it.

Enjoy your title, true fan.
    Check my YT channel where I display the comics I can afford from time to time

Beyond The Gutter(Loss)

Quote Originally Posted by Mathu87 View Post
    It bored me, and I found it too aimed at that audience, even if you want to accept it or not, and beyond that, it didn't entertain me at all. The art was nice, though. But, hey, I belong to the fake fandom for the fact of not liking it.

Enjoy your title, true fan.
    I do find your comment a little odd. Besides only using the movie-vengers, I don't think it was very targeted towards them.

It actually references quite a lot of different Loki/Asgard stories that are not known by the mainstream audience. The All-Mother, the Thor-clone, Loki dying to escape his own reputation, the original Avengers vs Loki, Sigurd's Sword, and I may be missing some more.
    Last edited by Viteh; 02-07-2014 at 01:35 PM.
    "That's a very nice school you have here, it'd be a shame if someone dropped some Sentinels on it"

Taste the Bitch Pudding. Green Griffin's Avatar

I enjoyed it, especially the scene with Thor and Loki sharing a beer right before Loki escapes.

Quote Originally Posted by Viteh View Post
    I do find your comment a little odd. Besides only using the movie-vengers, I don't think it was very targeted towards them.

It actually references quite a lot of different Loki/Asgard stories that are not known by the mainstream audience. The All-Mother, the Thor-clone, Loki dying to escape his own reputation, the original Avengers vs Loki, Sigurd's Sword, and I may be missing some more.
    It's cute how a lot of people who obviously weren't following Loki in the comics prior to the movie are suddenly chiming in trying to say that it's ripping off the movie. Because other than a slight tweak to Loki's appearance, it's not at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Post Monster View Post
    It's cute how a lot of people who obviously weren't following Loki in the comics prior to the movie are suddenly chiming in trying to say that it's ripping off the movie. Because other than a slight tweak to Loki's appearance, it's not at all.
    Yeah, Loki wasn't really even that special of a villain. Sure, he may have had his fans, but they were never that vocal or outspoken as the new Loki fans are.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    Yeah, Loki wasn't really even that special of a villain. Sure, he may have had his fans, but they were never that vocal or outspoken as the new Loki fans are.
    Oh, I have no doubt the noise the new fans are making is part of why certain people who never cared about what Marvel was doing with Loki are suddenly concerned about it. When Marvel first starting getting serious about adding a lot more layers to Loki as a character back around Avengers Dissembled, it was obvious Loki was going more antagonist trickster rather than Evil McEvil, and that's really where this all started for Loki. This is Marvel's doing and natural progression, not pandering.