Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default REVIEW: Ms. Marvel, #1

In G. Willow Wilson and Adrian Alphona's "Ms. Marvel" #1, Kamala Khan is tired of the rules that keep her from being a "normal" American teenager. With the detonation of the Inhuman terrigen bomb, however, all that's about to change.

Full review here.

Agreed. Enjoyed it a lot.
    Check my YT channel where I display the comics I can afford from time to time

Beyond The Gutter(Loss)

Agreed! There aren't a lot of comics deserving of a perfect score like this, but this one definitely earns it. I agree that Kamala is very much like a young Peter Parker. She comes from humble beginnings, has her own family issues, and is an outcast among her peers. Yet she aspires to be something greater and that gives her an undeniable appeal. I really enjoyed this issue and I honestly wasn't expecting much when I read it. But I think Kamala has the potential to be a very special character.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

X-men Supreme

I thought the Terrigen Mist aspect was handled really elegantly. This issue was a knockout.

I was really impressed by the laying of the foundation in this one, both in Kamala's personality, and the supporting cast they put in the book. I think my favorites there might be Bruno and , oddly, Kamala's dad but they're all very well introduced.
    All cruel people describe themselves as paragons of frankness.-Tennessee Williams

I can see this becoming one of my favorite comics. I loved the first issue.

I thought it was good but i was disappointed a bit after my high hopes from the previews insertion.
    Her family and supporting cast sort of feel cliche-sitcom-ish right now but i am sure they will develop in a few issues.

Five stars to this thing because it's politically correct.

I was admittedly a bit skeptical -- it smelled a lot more of marketing hype than a book that would have some actual substance to it. But perhaps the lowered expectations were for the best, as I was pleasantly surprised. I'm neither female, Pakistani, nor Muslim, but Kamala's struggles reminded me a bit of my own childhood and teen years. I think most kids can find something about their families or backgrounds to be a little embarrassing, especially when they want to be accepted by people who seem "cool".

My hope is that the editors will keep this book out of all the crossovers and events, and give this one a lot of space to carve out its own little corner of the Marvel universe.

Also, I noticed that this was a $2.99 book with a digital code. Anyone know if this going to be a norm for all $2.99 books going forward, or is this just a special for this issue?

THE SUPERIOR MEMBER! USERNAME TAKEN's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yeopop View Post
    What was politically correct about it?
    Adults struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life when the answer is obvious to the smallest child: because it's not real. - Grant Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by Yeopop View Post
    Actually, I can see the last page causing a lot of outrage among the politically correct types. At least the knee jerk types.
    All cruel people describe themselves as paragons of frankness.-Tennessee Williams

I thought it was cool but probably not 5 stars maybe 4
    Buy The Punisher

I think this is totally worthy of the 5 Star review. This was a GREAT first issue and really laid a ton of groundwork for future stories with the supporting cast. I'm really, really looking forward to more of this series and to more of Kamala. This feels so much like early Peter Parker and I feel like if Marvel truly supports this book then it could absolutely be this generation's Spider Man.

I'm never one to really pay much mind to the artwork but the art in this issue was top notch and worked really, really well with the story.

I can't wait til we see a fully powered Kamala dealing with the larger MU, however, I hope that doesn't happen TOO soon as I'd like her and her cast to be established a bit before that happens.

Can't wait til issue 2!
    Top DC: Wonder Woman
    Top Marvel: X-Men, Hawkeye, All New X-Factor, Ms. Marvel

RIP I, Vampire

Twitter!

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateTy View Post
    I thought it was cool but probably not 5 stars maybe 4
    I would have gone with 4 or 4.5 myself, but I expect it to get better still since this was a lead in and build up issue. It's a bit slow, but at least it isn't Bendis slow :) It was still well worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Den View Post
    I would have gone with 4 or 4.5 myself, but I expect it to get better still since this was a lead in and build up issue. It's a bit slow, but at least it isn't Bendis slow :) It was still well worth it.
    Was it slow? I thought it moved at a good pace. We were introduced to Kamala and her world and her supporting cast (seriously we got 7 supporting characters between her family, her two friends, the concern troll and her boyfriend) and then we had her fascination of the super hero world with the fanfic and her hallucination and then we finally got her powered at the end with the mists. I felt like as far as origins this issue was really solid and read a lot like the first act of a TV pilot.
    Top DC: Wonder Woman
    Top Marvel: X-Men, Hawkeye, All New X-Factor, Ms. Marvel

RIP I, Vampire

Twitter!