Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Cornell & Stegman Bring "Wolverine" To All-New Marvel NOW! LIVE

Paul Cornell, Ryan Stegman and more gather together to discuss the recent All-New Marvel NOW! relaunch of "Wolverine," and CBR is on hand LIVE.

Full article here.

"I think we've just about done that now," said Cornell. "There are a few more people from Wolverine's past in the flashback sections, and some of those I think will be very welcome by fandom, but we've done that."

this is a mistake. When I read a solo I want a good mix of new and good-old-standards to show up, esp a regular supporting character.

Cornell made the same mistake with his crappy opening arc, before he brought in Sabretooth, kitty, mystique
    "Calm down, call Batman." - Greg Capullo

"My feeling is that you can't be a hero unless you're actually under threat, unless you can actually do brave things," said Cornell.

So, you've (seemingly) made him a villain with a cold streak for methodical (calculated versus temper related) killing as the story arc to explore the above statement? And you plan to really upset everyone by making some controversial character changes over the next year. Which sounds a lot like "see how bad I can make him." And all of this following the year's long character exploration of this same character rising to be the noble defender and the last bastion of Xavier's dream; when Xavier's own 'adopted' son and heir apparent decided to go the Magneto route. huh. Sounds really logical and thought out... it doesn't sound like "let's throw it against the wall and see if it sticks.." Nope. Not one bit...
    'It's all fun and games until the flying monkeys attack."

So wolverine will die this year, and possible take down mystique and sabertooth in the process. I'm game for this Shakespeare run Cornell.

They can take the Superior Wolverine/anger the fans shit back to Whacker, for all I care.

As long as they contain it here and leave it out of the actual X-Books, I'm cool with this XXXXXXTTTRRRRREEEEMMMMEEEE-ness.
    Favorites: Jean Grey, Storm, The Wolverine, The Iceman, The Beast, The Rogue, Kid Omega, Oya, Broo, Kid Gladiator, Mags, Pryde
    The Diary of a Supa-Cool Nerd!

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyrocket View Post
    "My feeling is that you can't be a hero unless you're actually under threat, unless you can actually do brave things," said Cornell.

So, you've (seemingly) made him a villain with a cold streak for methodical (calculated versus temper related) killing as the story arc to explore the above statement? And you plan to really upset everyone by making some controversial character changes over the next year. Which sounds a lot like "see how bad I can make him." And all of this following the year's long character exploration of this same character rising to be the noble defender and the last bastion of Xavier's dream; when Xavier's own 'adopted' son and heir apparent decided to go the Magneto route. huh. Sounds really logical and thought out... it doesn't sound like "let's throw it against the wall and see if it sticks.." Nope. Not one bit...
    I agree 100%. It's just completely erasing all of his recent character development. Wolverine's been my favorite character since I was little, and this may be one of the few times that I've decided to drop the book. I don't know if that's necessarily what Schaefer and Brennan meant when they said that the were "making fans angry in a good way". I'll give it a few more issues to see where this is going, but I'm not liking what I'm hearing from the interviews. The funny thing is, a lot of these things have been done to Wolverine before. But the difference is, what was previously done was absolutely in character. This isn't the first time that Wolverine has lost his healing factor. This is at least the third (major) time...which is funny, because Cornell keeps saying "For the first time in his life, Wolverine can be killed". Previously, when Wolverine lost his healing factor, he went up against his 3 worst enemies (Sabretooth, Omega Red, and Lady Deathstrike) in order to save his foster daughter Amiko. And he was brave and heroic. He took on all three of them without his healing factor knowing that he was probably going to die (which he did...kind of). Cornell's Wolverine loses his healing factor and gets physically and emotionally beat up a little bit...and all of a sudden he becomes a villain? Wolverine is a character known for going into that moral grey area...but it's always to protect innocents and it's for the greater good. X-force is a perfect example. But to kill a man in cold blood like he did in the first issue? If that's not an Life Model Decoy then this is not the Wolverine that I want to read about.

The thing that made Superior Spider-Man work was that it was Otto that had taken over Spider-Man's body. And that's why the "Enemy of the State" run on Wolverine
    worked...because Wolverine was brainwashed. Wolverine's moral code that toes the line between what's right and wrong is what makes him an interesting character. If you go too far in one direction or the other, then it takes away from what makes him special. So if their plan is to anger fans more and do really out of character things just to drum up controversy and conversation then I'm good. I'll pick the book back up once someone else takes over. It's a shame...I'm such a big fan of Cornell's other work too...especially Captain Britain & MI:13
    Faves: Wolverine: Weapon X, the Avengers, X-Force, etc
    My Free Weekly eZine: http://tinyurl.com/ybcnhxe
    My Clothing Line: www.culturesclothing.com
    http://twitter.com/culturesclothes

I have to say, the first time over I found #1 to be a little jarring with the new set of supporting characters and the new status quo. But on the second read, I really, really dug it. I'm intrigued by where this is going, I like that this storyline seems to be set at a faster clip than Cornell's "Season 1" of Wolverine and Stegman is killing it on the art. Characterization is a strong suit of Stegman's and he draws a terrific Logan.

Brennan stated that due to scheduling issues, Wolverine will still be showing up in the main X-Men books for a bit.

So he is only gonna be in his solo and the new watx?

Fantomex is playing a role in the school as is Storm, and even Quentin Quire will play a more mature role,” says Brennan. “You’ll learn that Wolverine has been thinking about who is going to replace him after he’s gone. He has plans to leave that school sooner rather than later.”
    Last edited by Ritchie; 02-06-2014 at 11:06 AM.
    Remember The Past, Look To The Future And Always Enjoy The Present.

Quote Originally Posted by Ritchie View Post
    Yeah he is gonna die.
    It certainly seems that way... which is why I think he might NOT actually get killed after all.
    It might be TOO super obvious, but then again this run has been treading rather familiar ground.

What's bugging me most is all this "he needs to be in danger of dieing to be heroic" talk. He's ALWAYS been in danger of dieing, REGARDLESS of his healing factor or his adamantium. He's had a death wish for the LONGEST time too. He wanted to go out Samurai style, fighting the good fight. He always knew he would get KILLED eventually, Logan has said before "Some folks just need killin' and I'm one of 'em". That's partly why he always throws himself in the line of fire. A new direction is all well and good but he ALWAYS has known that he CAN be killed, there's a whole frikin' book dedicated just to that alone!: Wolverine: Killing Made Simple #1

http://marvel.wikia.com/Wolverine:_K...Simple_Vol_1_1
    Synopsis for "Killing Made Simple"
    Wolvie tries to save Trance from Nanny and the Orphan Maker while explaining all of the gruesome ways in which he can be killed.

The idea of "mortality" as others have stated can be about many things. Him simply getting older, or marrying, having a kid....neither of which is a very exciting prospect for a Wolvie story but I guess it does qualify as "new". I'm thinking he'll become an old man at the end of this run. Notice all the flashes to the future in WatX, he's always depicted as being MUCH OLDER than Quintin or Eyeboy. Much older than he should be considering they seem to be a good 10-15 years older than they are now. Those scenes may actually be spoilers. He'll likely take down Sabretooth and Mystique eventually but he'll probably end up a much weaker but "wiser" old man at the end of it.

I really doubt they kill Wolverine for his 40th anniversary.

Quote Originally Posted by Emilio Garra View Post
    I really doubt they kill Wolverine for his 40th anniversary.
    Do you know what happened when Spider-Man turned 50?
    X-Poster of the Month: November 2013
    The Best There Is At What I Do

Wolverine dies and Cyclops steps into his place and unites the X-Men.

Book it.
    Favorites: Jean Grey, Storm, The Wolverine, The Iceman, The Beast, The Rogue, Kid Omega, Oya, Broo, Kid Gladiator, Mags, Pryde
    The Diary of a Supa-Cool Nerd!

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiolino View Post
    Do you know what happened when Spider-Man turned 50?
    Though "dead", Parker was still around in ghost form. I can't see them pulling the same stunt with Logan. Especially since it's what everyone expects.

Quote Originally Posted by Emilio Garra View Post
    Though "dead", Parker was still around in ghost form. I can't see them pulling the same stunt with Logan. Especially since it's what everyone expects.
    Ghost Peter lasted for all of 4 months.
    X-Poster of the Month: November 2013
    The Best There Is At What I Do

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiolino View Post
    Ghost Peter lasted for all of 4 months.
    True, but these "killings" of the major heroes don't really have any impact because everyone knows they'll be back eventually. Another reason I don't see them killing him is because they'd have to do the whole replacement process again, which they kinda already did a few years ago with Daken.