Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Taylor Brings Batman Back from the Dead in "Earth 2"

CBR News spoke with writer Tom Taylor about last week's big reveal of the surprising face under the Batman cowl in "Earth 2."

Full article here.

BANNED

You know, I was really anticipating Taylor's run and his first issue delivered in spades but after that some problems started to appear.

I'm talking mostly about the direction of the title. Despite of the complaints I had with Robinson's run (Pacing, narration, etc.) his plans were incredibly on-point and pretty much the ideal route for Earth 2.

Taylor on the other hand, has a stronger execution, much stronger, he's able to create really good moments, does nice character work and his pacing is great. The problem is that his direction is not really the most adequate in my mind, he gives way too much attention to the big guns and I'm not even talking about Batman since that was what worrying the most to some people, he's getting a fair share in the spotlight.

I'm talking about Superman, there's way too much Superman. I should have seen this coming when he reintroduced Lois as the Red Tornado despite that it was a pretty surprising and interesting twist (although I wanted Ma Hunkel) then he introduced Jimmy Olsen with an interesting ability but then Val arrived as a Kryptonian and I just don't know, is way too much Superman lore for Earth 2.

Plus, there is also the little things like Batman using Miraclo (Which makes Hourman kinda redundant) and Red Arrow's identity being revealed as Connor Hawke when is obviously Roy there. Something just seems wrong.

I'm not saying that Taylor's run is bad, as I said his writing skills are quite good and Aquawoman kicks ass so far, I just have mixed thoughts about it.

Roll up the PARTITION plz Imraith Nimphais's Avatar

Earth 2 has become a definite must-buy/must-read right alongside WW and AM. I am loving everything about this book and characters so much.
    Sun and Moon
    Ororo Munroe...God's own X-MAN
    Storm deserves her very own solo ongoing...unfortunately..."Limited minds place limits on everything but their own foolishness." (aja_c.)

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    You know, I was really anticipating Taylor's run and his first issue delivered in spades but after that some problems started to appear.

I'm talking mostly about the direction of the title. Despite of the complaints I had with Robinson's run (Pacing, narration, etc.) his plans were incredibly on-point and pretty much the ideal route for Earth 2.

Taylor on the other hand, has a stronger execution, much stronger, he's able to create really good moments, does nice character work and his pacing is great. The problem is that his direction is not really the most adequate in my mind, he gives way too much attention to the big guns and I'm not even talking about Batman since that was what worrying the most to some people, he's getting a fair share in the spotlight.

I'm talking about Superman, there's way too much Superman. I should have seen this coming when he reintroduced Lois as the Red Tornado despite that it was a pretty surprising and interesting twist (although I wanted Ma Hunkel) then he introduced Jimmy Olsen with an interesting ability but then Val arrived as a Kryptonian and I just don't know, is way too much Superman lore for Earth 2.

Plus, there is also the little things like Batman using Miraclo (Which makes Hourman kinda redundant) and Red Arrow's identity being revealed as Connor Hawke when is obviously Roy there. Something just seems wrong.

I'm not saying that Taylor's run is bad, as I said his writing skills are quite good and Aquawoman kicks ass so far, I just have mixed thoughts about it.
    I agree with you. The book isn't bad, but I'm worried it's turning into just another alternate reality book and losing all the uniqueness of an Earth-2/JSA book.

Yep I agree with Rakzo they're are definitely issues but not biggie. Like the Superman Lore, i guess it's getting bigger and bigger.

Also the issue with Red Arrow is just a little one for me. But a change from Roy McQueen to Connor Hawke leaves me a question mark in my head???

Looks like the Hourman representation will be taken over by Batman. (let's see if there's going to be an actual Hourman)

I agree. Once I was able to separate this Earth 2 from the pre-Flashpoint Earth 2 I found this was my favorite of the 5 DC titles I was getting at the time (down to 3 now). It really seemed like Robinson was intent on reintroducing updated versions of the JSA and the focus was not going to be on Batman/Superman/Wonder Woman but I really feel like that is changing. With Batman, Superman, Tornado/Lois, Aquawoman, Jimmy Olsen and apparently others (I am always a few months behind since I buy digitally and after the price drops) being introduced I am starting to feel like we are getting an alternate version of the main DCU rather than the (seemingly) original vision for the title. To be honest, there are more than enough Batman, Superman and JLA titles clogging up the DC line-up that we don't need another for them. I hope the current direction is not permanent or I may end up down to 2 DC titles (which is sad, pre-Flashpoint I bought a ton of DC titles).
    "The most merciful thing in the world . . . is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents."
    H.P. Lovecraft

Are there still questions on whether where Taylor is heading is simply him having to pick up the pieces of Robinson's story? I personally don't think we will get a real representation of Taylor's Earth 2 until evil Supes is dealt with.

Val is going to ruin this book for me. Since he is going to be that ultra powerful kid that does not know his own power. He will be thesecret weapons that defeats evil supes. Uuuuugggghhhhhhh. It was so much better when Alan was supposed to be the supes figure of this world.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin316 View Post
    Are there still questions on whether where Taylor is heading is simply him having to pick up the pieces of Robinson's story? I personally don't think we will get a real representation of Taylor's Earth 2 until evil Supes is dealt with.
    I agree. Not only is Taylor running with the plot and characters left over from Robinson, he is doing a great job at expanding upon it. Once this story is over, and we see where he takes the book, then we will have Taylor's true vision of what he wants to do. For now, i think he's doing a great job.

Remember when complainers whined that Robinson ruined their Earth 2 characters with this book? Now the complainers whine about Taylor ruining their Robinson Earth 2 with too much Batman and Superman...

And what the heck is with that rumor they mentioned of a weekly Earth 2 book? Ive never heard it before nor does it have the sales to sustain it.

Quote Originally Posted by fishbonex View Post
    I agree. Not only is Taylor running with the plot and characters left over from Robinson, he is doing a great job at expanding upon it. Once this story is over, and we see where he takes the book, then we will have Taylor's true vision of what he wants to do. For now, i think he's doing a great job.

Remember when complainers whined that Robinson ruined their Earth 2 characters with this book? Now the complainers whine about Taylor ruining their Robinson Earth 2 with too much Batman and Superman...
    Legacy Batman and Superman, to be exact. Earth 2 pretty much invented the concept of legacy identities....

Quote Originally Posted by gwangung View Post
    Legacy Batman and Superman, to be exact. Earth 2 pretty much invented the concept of legacy identities....
    Exactly.

(10 characters)

I, for one, am really enjoying Earth 2. Everything is unique and different (well, okay, "evil" Superman is kinda sorta like the Injustice series) and I never know what to expect next. I love when they take established characters and turn them into something unexpected.

Bat-Rookie CarolinaBatmanFanGuy's Avatar

Well it's easy for me not to care about JSA and old Earth 2 because I never read the books, but I don't necessarily think TW having miraclo to enhance his abilities makes Hourman that redundant just because he has his badass Batman appearance and (I think) fights in a similar way to Bruce Wayne's Batman with the gadgets and smoke and stuff. Then again idk anything about Hourman, but I think Earth 2 Batman is distinct enough that it wouldn't be a problem.

Also couldn't it just be Roy Harper using an alias? (And what happened to Green Arrow on Earth 2?)

Ultimately I think Superman will or at least has to be killed off after these events. And I don't get the injustice comparisons? Wasn't he more of a tyrannical ruler as opposed to a super slave of Darkseid?
    Check out CBFG's Big Read

Current Series: Wonder Woman

Pulls: Batman, Detective, Batman &, Bat/Sup, JL, Earth 2, Beyond, '66, Eternal, Future's End, ANXF

Quote Originally Posted by fishbonex View Post

I couldn't agree more. Taylor could have completely scraped what Robinson was doing in a back-handed way, like, having Jay wake up and say, it was all a dream, then started his vision. But he didn't do that. He's finishing what Robinson started.
    Stand up for what you believe in, even if you have to stand alone.