Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default The Secret Origin of the Secret Identity of the Hobgoblin, Part 1

The story of how Roderick Kingsley became the one, true Hobgoblin is filled with twists, turns and surprises befitting a classic villain's back story.

Full article here.

Thanks for this...I loved 'The Life Of Reilly' awhile back, I'm into this behind-the-scenes stuff. Much appreciated! Wonder if there's any detailed info on the planning that went into the original Crisis over at DC...
    http://theill.thecomicseries.com/ Read my FREE webcomic!

Paul Penna

I love the behind the scenes stuff too.

Spidey Kicks Butt! has a more in-depth look at the Hobgoblin mystery; http://www.spideykicksbutt.com/

It's funny, I was just rereading the DeFalco/Frenz run today and it was a bit sad to come across Danny Fingeroth's farewell in #263 where he handed over the editorial reins to Priest in order to become a full time Marvel writer. What looked like an innocuous hand-off at the time ended up being the beginning of the end as after Fingeroth's departure, Priest slowly sabotaged one of the best runs in Spidey history. DeFalco and Frenz certainly deserved better - as did the readers who had waited years to see the mystery of the Hobgoblin resolved. But...that's the way it goes. Makes me hope that the current shift in editorial on the Spidey titles goes much more smoothly!

Glad you mentioned Kingsley's early persona in the article. One thing I've wondered since reading Kingsley's earliest appearances in Essential Peter Parker is which Kingsley brother actually appeared first. In many ways Kingsley's early personality is closer to Daniel than Roderick. It's interesting to think that Daniel was posing as Roderick that early on and that we never saw the real Roderick until the Hobgoblin's first appearance. Pure speculation but I think an angle worth pursuing.

I remember the DeFalco/Frenz run as the one that first really introduced me to Spider-Man. I genuinely believe that it was unmatched until the Strazynski run (that's a very long time...). Amazing to find out how much backstabbing and general drama there was behind the scenes of something I remember so fondly.

Interesting story. Probably my favorite Spidey villain of all time but nobody can find anything for him to do anymore it seems. And this last issue of Goblin vs Goblin was terrible. They have to lose the whole "Roderick brainwashes another guy to die as THE Hobgoblin" dealio.

Just want to see an epic Green on Hob war. Osbourn (although I doubt it's really Norman) vs Kingsley....

One correction: Bart Hamilton was the 3rd Green Goblin. Bart Fink was a Coen Brothers movie.

Great article. As a kid, I remember buying ASM #238 off the stands back in '83. Very iconic cover, and excellent story. IMHO the Hobgoblin was always a creepier villain than the Green Goblin, especially in those early issues when you didn't know who he was....

I'm gonna need a diagram or something to make sense of this...

Quote Originally Posted by darklighter1 View Post
    Interesting story. Probably my favorite Spidey villain of all time but nobody can find anything for him to do anymore it seems. And this last issue of Goblin vs Goblin was terrible. They have to lose the whole "Roderick brainwashes another guy to die as THE Hobgoblin" dealio.

Just want to see an epic Green on Hob war. Osbourn (although I doubt it's really Norman) vs Kingsley....
    Why won't Slott give Kingsley a backstory? He has many opportunities to go into his past, he's still in charge of the writing. I'm sure people would like to know more about Roddy.

Interesting story. Probably my favorite Spidey villain of all time but nobody can find anything for him to do anymore it seems.
    There's a number of reasons for that.

His gimick used to be that nobody knows who he is and that he was the new heir to the goblin legacy.
    Now we know who he is and he's just another Goblin.

That, and his whole cold hearted scheming manipulator personality was stolen by Norman.
    Highly Evolved Creature Totally Orientated on Revenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    There's a number of reasons for that.

His gimick used to be that nobody knows who he is and that he was the new heir to the goblin legacy.
    Now we know who he is and he's just another Goblin.

That, and his whole cold hearted scheming manipulator personality was stolen by Norman.
    I thought it was cool what Slott did with him after over 10 years of not being used. Taking on offshoots of other villain identities during that time and making them into franchises. Such a cool thing to do for a baddie.

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey_62 View Post
    I thought it was cool what Slott did with him after over 10 years of not being used. Taking on offshoots of other villain identities during that time and making them into franchises. Such a cool thing to do for a baddie.
    And it really fits with previous characterization too. Kingley has ALWAYS stolen other people's designs.

Questions

1.) What day is the Green Goblin versus Hobgoblin issue coming out?

2.) What brings Kingsley back to New york? What is so important that he needs to go back to new york instead of sending a hired thug to take care of business?