Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What Did You Read - February 2014

I just read Rick Geary's Famous Players story, which I think is a few years old but I just got a few weeks ago. This one is great! By now I'm quite familiar with Geary's art but I think he stepped it up a few times in this one. Tons a faces, each with their own distinctive characteristics. Some of the background details were phenominal, such as how he drew the chruch or the shadow from a porch over a house. Like most of these I knew nothing of this specific murder so I found it facinating. It was kind of like reading an US Weekly from 1922. :) Another winner from Geary! I think I'm still missing 1 or 2 of these but I'll track them down.
    - pmpknface

"Webs Away!!!"
    Read My CBR Articles!

I do most of my reading as I walk to and from work - and over here in England we've just had the rainiest January on record - and it hasn't let up yet, so I've not read as much as normal. (Into February and I haven't read all of the books I got for Christmas yet!!!)

Judge Dredd: The Complete Case Files v4 - Another year of good sharp stuff from John Wagner. Some great art from Brian Bolland, Mike mcMahon and Ian Gibson. I'm not so fond of the Ron Smith work. This volume had The Judge Child Quest - which is one of my least favourite Dredd epics. It still had good bits. The introductions of Judge Death and Chopper were good.

Severed
    - Good horror stuff from Scott Snyder and a friend of his.

Fatale v1: Death Chases Me - This has me interested so far. I'm curious to see where this is going to lead.

Fatale, I think, just keeps getting better as it goes on.

Why did I not realize Snyder did SEVERED? HM.....

I was able to log some more issues into the DB this weekend, so that was good. Also got a jump on the latest DCBS box, but now I'm playing catch-up with last week's. The new M. Marvel was ok. I liked the new Loki. Mostly some Image stuff at lunchtime today. Just read the latest Crossed: Badlands while my PC fired up this am, and that's as twisted as ever (the comic, not the PC).
    - pmpknface

"Webs Away!!!"
    Read My CBR Articles!

Oh, I also read what I guess was the final issue of Jennifer Blood. I didn't know it was going to end, and I'm kinda sad. I knew it had to end eventually but it kept re-inventing itself and I was really happy with it. I think there should be at least a 1-issue epilogue story. Oh well....
    - pmpknface

"Webs Away!!!"
    Read My CBR Articles!

Garth Ennis' Battlefields Volume 7: The Green Fields Beyond TP
    Garth Ennis' Battlefields Volume 8: The Fall And Rise Of Anna Kharkova TP
    Both volumes are a return to familiar faces in the Battlefields series. As always, his war books are my favorite of Garth Ennis's works.

Daredevil by Mark Waid vol. 6 HC--It's good, but I'm pissed that of the mere five issues in this volume (a trend I am not happy about), two of the issues are from the previous month's Indestructible Hulk vol. 2: Gods and Monster. So, while Mark Waid did his usual fine job, 40% of the material here was not new-to-me. A sincere "Good job, Mr. Waid" and a sarcastic "Good job, Marvel."

Sixth Gun vol. 5: Winter Wolves TP--Messrs Bunn and Hurtt do not believe in staying in safe, predictable territory with this series. I'm pretty sure volume 6 is going to be the first thing I read when that box shows up on my doorstep at the end of the month.

EM
    Last edited by De Carabas; 02-19-2014 at 09:09 AM.

Just read the new FATALE on Monday. One of the best yet. I got the new INVINCIBLES HC and it's sitting in front on me.... staring at me... begging to be read. I had Monday off and worked from home today due to teh 5-8" we picked up. I need to take another day off and read a bunch of things, including the stack of Blade of the Immortal's sitting to my right.

De Carabas - Do you know about Ennis' new sci-fi book from Avatar?
    - pmpknface

"Webs Away!!!"
    Read My CBR Articles!

February reads new and old include:

Asterix and the Black Gold
    The Complete Carl Barks Disney Library Vol. 5: Christmas on Bear Mountain
    Archer and Armstrong Vol. 1 The Michelangelo Code
    Prophet Vol. 1: Remission
    Mystery Men by Liss and Zircher
    John Law, Detective by Eisner
    Part of the Spirit Archives Vol. 1
    the 5 issue run of Doorway to Nightmare featuring Madame Xanadu
    the 4 issue Cinder and Ashe mini
    and continuing to read (and review) my way through Arak, Son of Thunder for my From the Sorcerer's Scroll thread over in the classic comics forum

plus various and sundry recent comic issues.

-M
    A lunatic is easily recognized...You can tell him by the liberties he takes with common sense...and by the fact that sooner or later he brings up the Templars.
    -Umberto Eco

Hellboy: The Midnight Circus HC--Absolutely stunning volume. Duncan Fegredo nails it. This is also a fantastic entry point for those new to Hellboy. A self-contained story that hints at the larger mythology.
    BPRD: Vampire TP--Loved it. The 1940s BPRD volumes have been my favorites lately and this continues that storyline.

Empowered vol. 8--Another great volume from Adam Warren. The single issue one-shots may be hit-or-miss IMO, but there hasn't been a weak trade paperback yet.

Young Avengers vol. 2: Alternative Culture TP--A good volume. I love what Gillen & McKelvie are doing here (even an anti-social media grouch like me loved the Instagram-posts-as-exposition page), but this does end up feeling like a second act. So good, but hinting that great is just around the corner.

Quote Originally Posted by pmpknface View Post
    De Carabas - Do you know about Ennis' new sci-fi book from Avatar?
    I'm probably going to skip it. I find most of Avatar's output to be really off-putting. I used to skim their solicits, looking for the odd Warren Ellis project, but those seem to have stopped. I did like the first four issues of Red Team, a lot. I plan on getting #5 and 6 this weekend.

EM

Quote Originally Posted by De Carabas View Post
    Young Avengers vol. 2: Alternative Culture TP--A good volume. I love what Gillen & McKelvie are doing here (even an anti-social media grouch like me loved the Instagram-posts-as-exposition page), but this does end up feeling like a second act. So good, but hinting that great is just around the corner.

I'm probably going to skip it. I find most of Avatar's output to be really off-putting. I used to skim their solicits, looking for the odd Warren Ellis project, but those seem to have stopped. I did like the first four issues of Red Team, a lot. I plan on getting #5 and 6 this weekend.

EM
    Young Avengers was really good. The last few issues really brought it all home.

I'll let you know how that new series is. I loves me some Ennis!
    - pmpknface

"Webs Away!!!"
    Read My CBR Articles!

Culé Forever

Finished The Best of Milligan & McCarthy just a few days ago.

Skin was by far my favourite story, followed by the rather short Hollow Circus and of course Rogan Gosh.

I'm halfway through The Best of Milligan and McCarthy right now. You're probably not wrong about Skin being the best story (I haven't reached it yet, but I've read it before) - but for my tastes it probably has the weakest art.

Rogan Gosh has the best art - and I think I understood a bit more of it this time than when I read it as it came out monthly in Revolver.

I started the new Invisibles HC. So far I'm liking it. I want to stay up on this. They haven't solicited a V.2 yet but I have a feeling they will. I'm like 3 giant tpb's behind in my Hellblazer reading!
    - pmpknface

"Webs Away!!!"
    Read My CBR Articles!

Culé Forever

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    It probably has the weakest art.
    Could you elaborate on what you mean by 'the weakest art'?

I personally found that the art complemented the story perfectly well. It constantly gave me the feeling of unease, tension, disgust, etc etc - everything I believe the story is intended to evoke. You always get the feeling that things are not right, and that something's gonna happen somewhere down the line - and the art definitely has a part to play in this.

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    Rogan Gosh has the best art - and I think I understood a bit more of it this time than when I read it as it came out monthly in Revolver.
    I will definitely need to give Rogan Gosh future readings :-)

Have you reached Hollow Circus, by the way?

Quote Originally Posted by barcelunatic View Post
    Could you elaborate on what you mean by 'the weakest art'?

I personally found that the art complemented the story perfectly well. It constantly gave me the feeling of unease, tension, disgust, etc etc - everything I believe the story is intended to evoke. You always get the feeling that things are not right, and that something's gonna happen somewhere down the line - and the art definitely has a part to play in this.
    I probably just mean that the art isn't to my tastes - especially when compared the the gorgeous work on Rogan Gosh and Paradax.

You're probably right about the reasons for the style McCarthy chose though and the comic may well be better for it.

Quote Originally Posted by barcelunatic View Post
    Have you reached Hollow Circus, by the way?
    That's the next one I've got to read.

Just read last month:
    -X-Statix omnibus
    -Wolverine Mark Millar omnibus
    currently reading the JLA: One Million tpb and Age of Apocalypse omnibus.

Is it just me or has AoA not aged well? It's got it's moments but on the whole I just don't care about the characters or what happens to them.