Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Gillen's "Iron Man" Pits Tony Stark Against the Mandarin's Legacy

Kieron Gillen catches CBR up on "Iron Metropolitan," which pits Tony Stark against the Mandarin's sentient rings and upcoming "Iron Man Annual."

Full article here.

I am really not crazy about this multiple Mandarin storyline. Unless it all eventually leads to the original Mandarin coming back (or even his son), it feels pretty weak. I don't like the idea of replacing his arch nemesis. Nearly all of Iron Man's rogues (aside from Living Laser, MAdam Masque, and I think Ghost) have been replaced. That's always been part of the problem with his enemies. They're all throw away and replacable.

The Mandarin was his one true villain. The one that always comes back bigger and badder than ever. I would love to see what he thinks of his city being turned into Tony's utopia. He's been killed before, so I hold out hope he'll return, but I hate seeing his rings on the hands of others. I'm not looking forward to seeing Iron Man battle a Thor villain, either.

I hate the sentient rings idea. That's like making Joker's acid-shooting-flower sentient and replacing him with it. Dumb as hell.

Administrator Expletive Deleted's Avatar

I like the idea, although I want to see who else gets a ring.

I think it would've been a bit too soon to bring back the real Mandarin. This doesn't close the door on that happening, and in the meantime it adds some new rogues to a gallery that's been a little sparse in recent years.
    Expletive Deleted

Chaotically Neutral Monty_Cristo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelChen View Post
    I hate the sentient rings idea. That's like making Joker's acid-shooting-flower sentient and replacing him with it. Dumb as hell.

but what did you think of All Hail the King?
    60% percent of the time, Ant-Man beats Doom every time

Keeping with the remake of Mandarin as a Kim Jong Il parody, I think Tenmugin should be introduced as a pudgy, cake-obsessed nebish who compulsively sends threatening texts to Tony Stark.

Red Peril. I see what you did there.